Kicker

W

wesley

Hy Guys
Bought a used fiberglass boat with a 40 hp ob. Now i would like to no how to put a 9.9 kicker on the sturn? Have no idea how to do
this so would app. any help i can get also would i be able to
steer it. Mabey a photo might help.
Want to go fishing in the salt chuck. 76 now probably my last
chance this year. Take care. ha
Take care Wesley :)

Post a photo of the boat and maybe someone on here could give some advice. What kind of kicker do you have?

Reel Chaos

That's okay... I am not sure I would put a kicker on a 40hp?
Especially, a 9.9? What are you wanting to accomplish? [?]

Maybe just to troll, and more importantly, a spare to get home on? I use a small kicker on my 17' whaler. Gives me great peace of mind when far from home.................BB

Have taken in all your replys and decided i need a smaller kicker
So what about an electric ob with a seperate battery for
Trolling. Good Bad idea? Wesley

Read your orginal post wrong . I thought you had a 9.9 kicker. Would not use an electric in salt water, current would be to strong. Just my thoughts,..............BB

Barnacle Bill
Ya i do have a 9.9 for a kikker (evenrude) and i have gone and bought a 9.9 suzuki had trouble with the 40ob so have decided to
to go with 2 ,9.9 ob. Had good advice from all you guys about the
ty bar. So i am ok with that no problem.;)
Now my next problem don't laugh ha. When i was out the last
time fishing in the salt chuck. Put the Evenrude 9.9 away in
my sons garage and he has moved three times.Just tossing it
around not being a fishing guy it was a pain in the rear for him.
Now i seen the outboard the handle is brocken no problem as i
will convert the speed controll up front along with the
steering. Now :) the ob been there for 20yrs.
What do you think chuck it:) but it was a great ob.Never a
problem. Should i refurb it Thanks Wesley :)

Wesley I would try and see how she runs and take it to a dealer for a service.

PLEASE take a picture if you mount twin 9.9's on your boat that will be a sight to see.

Good luck

boat-2.jpg

Ok Cedarman
Thats not kosher?:) Well why ? :)
Take it easy on me now.
Wesley :)

What size boat do you have? What is wrong with the 40hp? Two (2) 9.9 tied together may not move your boat to well? Would also like to know how you would steer them? Anyways, need to know the size of your boat in order to offer any, "good" advice.:D....BB

Barnacle Bill
Its a 14ft fiberglass. Steering no problem and they are
both pull starts. One will have speed controll. I will use both to my destination then troll with the other.
Also i drive down the coast to where i want to fish and launch the boat then go one to two miles out in the chuck. there is always
islands around. Take care Wesely :)

Twin 9.9. I have to admit that is original! :)

I do have a couple of questions for you, have you thought about:

1) Rotation of props?
I have never ran twin O/B with the same rotating props, is that even effective, or are you going to have an excessive amount of torque?

2) Do these engines have alternators?
If so, you don’t want to run two different engine alternators to the same battery. That will cause problems, so you would need a second battery?

I don’t have the specifications for Suzuki, but their specs should be about the same as Yamaha, even though Yamaha usually has a better fuel burn rate?

Yamaha F9.9 weighs 91 lb X 2= 182 lb, @ 6000 rpm each burns 1.03 GPH (approx). Total burn would be approximately 2.06 GPH. If you run them at half throttle you will to be still burn about 1.0 GPH (about the same as a 40 @ 3000 RPM)? Tthe alternator(s) will produce 6 AMPS @ WOT

Yamaha F40 weighs 214 lb burns @ 1000 RPM 0.2 GPH, 2000 RPM 0.5 GPH, 3000 RPM 1.2 GPH, at WOT (6000 RPM) it burns 4.2 GPH, but you will be running about 30 MPH and the alternator will be producing 16 amps

Now I gotta ask, why are you thinking of putting two 9.9 engines on a 14 foot boat? I personally would find a new/rebuilt 40 HP and be done with it? I don’t know what you are trying to accomplish but running twin 9.9 HP over 40 HP @ isn’t going to save much in fuel and you are going to have twice the cost of maintenance. Based on what you are stating you really have no need for a trolling motor – you have more need for a 40?

IMHO

Twin 9.9s with the props turning in the same direction would be interesting. Left turns will be easy....not so sure about going right however.

TenMile
<'((((><

Wesley I meant nothing by my need for a picture. I just have never heard of this before and think it would make a great pic.

I do not think twin 9.9's would have enough torgue to have to be counter rotating but I would ask a dealer that one.

I may have a brand new 20 hp I could get you. It has a few years on it(maybe 10) BUT it has only been started twice and never in salt water.

cheers

boat-2.jpg

Hi Cedarman :)
Well CEDARMAN all i can say that all your and everyones responses to my posts have been neg. and your all right. So thanks it wasent a good idea on my part.
So i have one 9.9 ob thats ok and a 40ob 9.9ob that are
questionable. GEEEZ What have i got myself into hear?:) Getting
to old for this. Started out as a good thing thought i might get a couple seasons in and give it to my daughter and kids whom love the
salt chuck. Been with me many times when she was younger. I feel like a idiot buing the 40ob.:( your right takeing the guys word.
Now that leaves me with one good 9.9 ZUZUKI Just go with that?
I would like to thank everyone for there help and you are a great
bunch. Your mother would be prowd of you. ha i am 75yrs Iam interested in the ob cedarman em. HY_Rize@hotmail.com thanks

Back