Kicker size?

Brian

Hey guys. I have a 21 ft Bayliner hardtop with inboard. I need to replace the kicker. It was a 9.9 I would like to get an electric start, with remote throttle setup, so I'm not leaning over the back of the boat all the time. I hope to use this a lot, not just as a backup. Unfortunately, the boat is new to me, so I didn't get to try it with the 9.9. I'm wondering whether a 9.9 is enough, or am I better going to a 15? Your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

Hey guys. I have a 21 ft Bayliner hardtop with inboard. I need to replace the kicker. It was a 9.9 I would like to get an electric start, with remote throttle setup, so I'm not leaning over the back of the boat all the time. I hope to use this a lot, not just as a backup. Unfortunately, the boat is new to me, so I didn't get to try it with the 9.9. I'm wondering whether a 9.9 is enough, or am I better going to a 15? Your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!
9.9 HT is what you want.

Have a 20’ trophy. Just put a new tohatsu 9.9 EFI on it. Has all the amenities you mentioned. It’s perfect.

I have a 8hp HT Yammie on my 20 footer. A little sluggish on the torque side but has sufficient power to troll you at any speed.( I needed to keep the transom weight down)
The 9.9 HT would be just right.

A 15 would be great if you could do it.

The dealer I use said the 9.9 high thrust is better at pushing in the wind than a 15 standard thrust. With yamaha you have to go to a 20hp for the next size high thrust.

I have a Striper 2101 WA with a 9.9 Merc Pro Kicker. Works great. Don’t see a 15 being much of an advantage. Not going to get you beyondhull speed.

9.9 is perfect for that boat.

This isn’t going to make sense to some but I’ll say it anyways. Your almost better to be in the smaller size. If the kicker is to big and moves the boat to fast your throttle adjustment on the low end is so fine and hard to dial in it’s a real pain. I had this issue on my last boat. It was a 9.9 on my 20’ Lund, not a heavy boat. But the kicker moved the boat along quite easily and when trying to get the lower end speeds around 1.5 - 1.8 or 2.0 MPH speed over ground it was such a fine adjustment on the throttle that it was extremely difficult to adjust or maintain. The only way I cured it was with a Troll Matser electric throttle adjustment installed. It was still a fine amount of adjustment but it made it a lot easier.

Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks for all your input! After talking to all the dealers about this, and considering your ideas, it sounds like the 9.9 is the right thing. My concern was power, particularly with some wind, not speed.

9.9 is perfect for that boat.

This isn’t going to make sense to some but I’ll say it anyways. Your almost better to be in the smaller size. If the kicker is to big and moves the boat to fast your throttle adjustment on the low end is so fine and hard to dial in it’s a real pain. I had this issue on my last boat. It was a 9.9 on my 20’ Lund, not a heavy boat. But the kicker moved the boat along quite easily and when trying to get the lower end speeds around 1.5 - 1.8 or 2.0 MPH speed over ground it was such a fine adjustment on the throttle that it was extremely difficult to adjust or maintain. The only way I cured it was with a Troll Matser electric throttle adjustment installed. It was still a fine amount of adjustment but it made it a lot easier.

Just something to keep in mind.
I get it. Makes sense to me.

Just make sure you get a high thrust 9.9 and the right leg length. Long or extra long.

Back