Kicker recommendation for my Arima

Enniberg

I am considering putting a new kicker for my Arima.

What is the best option available now? I currently have a Yamaha T8 25" shaft. It is a good motor, but it does not have power tilt which basically means it hardly ever gets used. It is just not convenient and hard on my back, especially with the way the Arima is designed.

Considering a new Yamaha, but the fuel injected Suzuki 9.9 is interesting.

Where do I find a good deal on a new Suzuki - lower mainland, or on the Island, if I was to go that route?

I am considering putting a new kicker for my Arima.

What is the best option available now? I currently have a Yamaha T8 25" shaft. It is a good motor, but it does not have power tilt which basically means it hardly ever gets used. It is just not convenient and hard on my back, especially with the way the Arima is designed.

Considering a new Yamaha, but the fuel injected Suzuki 9.9 is interesting.

Where do I find a good deal on a new Suzuki - lower mainland, or on the Island, if I was to go that route?
brant marine in ladner susuki dealer

Maple marine langley. They also sell Tohatsu. Go see Trevor or nick. I put a remote control Tohatsu 9.8 on my boat for $3000 all in. Decided to not get power tilt to save on the weight. Power tilt was +$500

brant marine in ladner susuki dealer

I just called Brant. They sell the 9.9 remote controlled w. power tilt for $3,800, but it is 20" shaft. I was told that Suzuki does not offer 25" in Canada, although it is available in the US. I would have to buy a $400 extension kit and spend another $400 on labor to have them convert it. Gets a bit too costly.

If you're not using your kicker now, do you need another one ?

Because I think if I had a better set up, I might actually start using the kicker - how about that? :D

If they can't get it locally, run the numbers on this link and pick up in Wa.State?
25", remote, power lift, $2900 USD + Free Shipping
https://onlineoutboards.com/collect...oducts/suzuki-9-9-hp-df9-9btx2-outboard-motor

Or take a look at the Tohatsu option.

Thanks Damien, that looks like it is worth investigating. Wonder if the warranty would be valid in Canada?

As for the Tohatsu, it is a bit of an unknown to me - do they compare favorably to something like the Suzuki?

Look at hooking it into your hydraulic steering using the Seastar Kicker tie bar. My kicker (Yam 8 hp ht) gets run on my boat 95% of the time. I only troll with the main in bad seas and that’s rare. I’ve saved enough fuel in 10 years to have paid back what I paid for the kicker versus trolling off the main more frequently. I bought mine with power tilt, elec start and of course steering off my main using the seastar cable tie bar. I’m certain I wouldn’t use my kicker as much if it wasn’t so damn easy to use. I’m about to install Intellisteer next week as well. It looks slick.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-new/outboard-new/seastar_kicker/

The small Tohatsus are Mercs, for all intents and purposes. More accurately, vice versa.

Tohatsu's are excellent motors. I ran two strokes for years and they are bullet proof. Their 4-strokes have a good reputation. But not sure if they have pull-start as an electric starter back-up. For me the most important kicker requirements are ....25" shaft; burly alternator; pull start built in to the fly wheel. Honda covers those bases----you pay more but they make an excellent 4-stroke

I just called Brant. They sell the 9.9 remote controlled w. power tilt for $3,800, but it is 20" shaft. I was told that Suzuki does not offer 25" in Canada, although it is available in the US. I would have to buy a $400 extension kit and spend another $400 on labor to have them convert it. Gets a bit too costly.

contact gord at breakers marine...

Tohatsu's are excellent motors. I ran two strokes for years and they are bullet proof. Their 4-strokes have a good reputation. But not sure if they have pull-start as an electric starter back-up. For me the most important kicker requirements are ....25" shaft; burly alternator; pull start built in to the fly wheel. Honda covers those bases----you pay more but they make an excellent 4-stroke

i have a 20hp tohatsu, pull start, elec start, power tilt.. best priced kickers going for sure.

The new Tohatsu 9.9 is fuel injected, with high thrust model available. The 9.9-20 hp is the same engine. Looking at it for a buddy’s boat now, 9.9 is only one available with 25”shaft, but you can buy the ecm for 15hp or 20hp. If you want to up upgrade. Wish it was available when I got mine 2 years ago.

Tohatsu’s new EFI 9.9 is “battery less” as in don’t even need a battery to pull start and run it all day long. Very tough motors that run forever and are popular all over the world. Not sure why in Canada they seem to be taboo.

Just got my first boat, Campion 188. Came with a Nissan 12 two stroke kicker, starts first time but due to my inexperienced I didn't realize that the length down to the cavitation plate is far to short. Need a 25 inch for sure. If you do want to buy a new kicker, I would be interested in the 8hp that your replacing.
Just a thought .

Called Bridgeview this afternoon. They have Suzuki 9.9 25" with electric start and trim for $3,800+Tax. Installation is $750 extra.
Seems like it'd be cheaper to look for used ones in the States or just wait until the boat show specials come out :)

Wow $750 to install a kicker seems like a lot. On another forum a member in Washington state said he paid $3k out the door for a new one so given the exchange rate the price might not be out of line.

Last edited:
Back