Jughead new!

FishWhisperer

I agree with you guys, the last thread was getting too deep. Digging thru page after page for pics and info sux so, we'll start a new thread. Although, 36,000+ views is almost worthy of a Sticky, lol.

The new vid posted is quite remarkable. The footage was filmed on a GoPro Hero 3, all on the same day, same place, same fish, same depths, same speed (can't account for tide changes).
It was filmed by a reputable guiding outfit on the West Coast that has been in operation for decades. In fact, most everyone on the coast knows the owner or has heard of him. He has no stake in Jughead nor is there any reason for manipulating the footage. Just an un-paralleled curiosity into what makes fish "tick".

These are real fish and are not paid actors :) Watch it in HD...

[aJdipYfs65U] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJdipYfs65U

I've had some comments from people saying that they can't get Jughead to work beside the boat. Well, the truth be told, Jughead needs water above as well as below. If you're trying to see the action by hanging Jughead over the rail like a teaser head, you're just going to see Jughead wiggle the bait/lure then roll up and flop on the surface. It's trying to barrel-roll. As soon as it grabs air, its over. Jughead is not a teaser head, teaser heads roll specifically. Jughead is a Head Shaker - a new niche in sportfishing.
If it wasn't for my GoPro Hero 2 a couple yrs ago, we probably wouldn't be talking about Jughead right now because that's exactly what my first prototype did. Then I put the GoPro down, processed the footage at home later and then watched to see if I even got Jughead in the lens.
Needless to say my jaw dropped when I saw the action. Jughead was everything and more than I expected.

Watch the vid, please comment if you wish, good or bad. All input is constructive.

I will gather up all the colour options I've been playing with and post them soon.

The following pics are of the deadliest set-up I've ever used. If it swims in the ocean, this rig will catch it (use beads not Gum Pucky's). In fact, porpoises have tore a few of these off my lines, my shoulders will never be the same.

Juggy 1.jpg
Juggy 2.jpg
Glow Belly and Glow Jughead

Last edited by a moderator:
The go pro is going to add the dimension we never had as angler, and help in the development of finding out what works/what doesn't. Very easy to test out new ideas and theories. Whisperer this is good I love the footage.......

I am in development of a few products myself so its interesting to see you doing this.... Keep it up...

Thanks High Five.
What are you working on? Maybe I can assist you. I do have a 3D Replicator...

FishWhisperer..........how do you take the metal out of your Baitrix? Just slit it up the belly and pull it out?

And what brand is that blue hoochy that is killer?

I always have to hit the link a second time for youtube to work on my iPhone for my vids and this one which worked fine or me

JL

anyone played with leader lengths at all yet for springs?
I have only used them for coho so far and with a 6' leader and hootchie and been sucsessful
with that setup, curious tho with bait whats the concensus is for leader length?
im going to give them a tow tomorrow with some bait and will use the same theory of long leader
hard to tell in the vid but looks to be around 6ish feet or so

FishWhisperer..........how do you take the metal out of your Baitrix? Just slit it up the belly and pull it out?

And what brand is that blue hoochy that is killer?

Hey SF. I just push it thru the fwd part of the belly

anyone played with leader lengths at all yet for springs?
I have only used them for coho so far and with a 6' leader and hootchie and been sucsessful
with that setup, curious tho with bait whats the concensus is for leader length?
im going to give them a tow tomorrow with some bait and will use the same theory of long leader
hard to tell in the vid but looks to be around 6ish feet or so

I usually drag Jughead without a flasher. When I do use a flasher I use about 5.5' to 6'. I agree the leader in the video looks about that long but I also know that he was fishing Jughead behind a flasher with about 3.5' to 4' of leader at other times and was also quite successful.
I think that the shorter the leader with Jughead from the flasher creates more of a little snap to Jughead when the flasher rolls over. This in itself will trigger strikes too...

AJ, thanks for the order...the green Jugheads look great. As far as the hootchie pictured above, what do you call it and where can one get them to make those rigs like you have pictured??They have the longer head than I see at most stores...
I am sure the hootchies run with Jugheads will be perfect...excited to see how they perform...
Check your PM's.

...sorry, inbox emptied.
Glad you like the green ones. Been having issues with the green all along. I've tossed out about 100 green Jugheads.
That bad boy in the pic, I believe, is a cuttlefish. They have tons of colours. The green spatter back is wicked too. I have no video of them yet...
- Seafever, if you're in Nanaimo, tell Dane at Harbour Chandler you want the cuttlefish AJ buys :)

Hootchies work and look awesome with Jughead. The Jughead Alive video is so sexy. THAT is Fish ****. Think I'll re-name it, lol.
Another wicked, wicked rig is ...damn it's always been my absolute "go-to" ...ok I'll give it out ...aaahh ok ok ...spatter back glow needlefish with 4/0 siwash, same chain swivel with bead ...add 4 more beads above the hootchie, add another spatterback glow needlefish hootchie, now I add Jughead above. Wow. I call it Double Trouble. It really is. I'll get a pic and post it. It always out fishes bait on the other side of the boat. Catches everything. Salmon, halibut, all cod, Humbolt Squid, Schoolmaster Gonate Squid, seals, porpoises, birds...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks AJ, heading into Richmond to get away from the house. Will look at Nikka and Pacific Net and Twine, they have tons of hootchies if my memory serves me right.

Back