Jigging rods

slaydown

I'm looking at getting some extra jigging rods that can handle lings and maybe a halibut and was wondering what most guys run. I used to have a few penn 330s but they were stolen.Not looking to spend too much as I went pretty crazy with a couple new mooching reels but don't want garbage either. Any info would be very appreciated.
Cheers

Shakespeare Ugly Stick "Tiger Lite" 6ft 3inch. Jigging Rod.
Rated braided line 50 to 100lb.
Part number on rod is:- BWCJL 220063.

What is your budget? Looking for just a rod or rod/reel? Have you checked out the Amundson jigging rods? Good value for the price at around $125. I have 3 friends that use the Shimano Torium 14 which hold 370 yards of 50lb test. Silky smooth drag and good for anything from salmon to halibut. I think about $250. If you can spend the extra, it's hard to beat a Trevala jigging rod.

Good luck!

WW

Get a Penn Carnage 2, many models to choose from, they are amazing rods, sensitive, power where its supposed to be, under $200, add a Penn squal, and some 50lb braid and you have an outfit capable of catching any ling, hali, snapper and BC bottom fish but also a world class outfit if the oportunity ever arises. I will try mine on Dogfish tuna at 200 ft+ in the next couple days if all goes well. Out in the pacifics typhoon now, not fun.

HM

I am 66 y/o with arthritis. I have a 7' Shimano Trevala that is fantastic compared to a cheaper heavier rod.

I am 66 y/o with arthritis. I have a 7' Shimano Trevala that is fantastic compared to a cheaper heavier rod.
Ericl hit the nail on the head. A quality rod is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than a cheapo. Jigging for any amount of time with a pool cue gets old real fast. Especially for kids, they'll lose interest like pronto. Just make sure that you get the right rod based on the weight of lures that you plan to jig. I landed a 65lb halibut earlier this summer on a light jigging setup/250 gram butterfly jig with absolutely no problems at all. Those Trevala rods have a parabolic action that puts the hurt on the fish. Tons of backbone...

Ericl hit the nail on the head. A quality rod is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than a cheapo. Jigging for any amount of time with a pool cue gets old real fast. Especially for kids, they'll lose interest like pronto. Just make sure that you get the right rod based on the weight of lures that you plan to jig. I landed a 65lb halibut earlier this summer on a light jigging setup/250 gram butterfly jig with absolutely no problems at all. Those Trevala rods have a parabolic action that puts the hurt on the fish. Tons of backbone...
How many sleeps Curtis? I haven't been doing much jigging but the currents will settle down in a few days in JDF and then I'll give it a shot in the kayak. I was skunked yesterday as there is a pause in the salmon runs but so far it's been a great season for springs.
Tom

I am 66 y/o with arthritis. I have a 7' Shimano Trevala that is fantastic compared to a cheaper heavier rod.[/QUOTE

Eric, what model of Trevala rod do you use? I have looked them up and there are many

I lied - it's a 5'8" TVC58XH. I picked this because it is rated for heavier jigs. It has slots in the butt end that fit in a fitting in rod holders; that way you leave it in the holder to cranks the fish in & the reel will not twist on you.

Back