Jigging for Hali

Charlie415

Crew Member
Wife hooked what I thought was bottom until it started coming up. She got it up about 10' and then the "it's too heavy" starts. I said are you sure you don't have bottom. She says no it feels like it is coming up. I reluctantly offer to take over. After a half hour struggle, can't really call it a battle, I saved her favorite "Tom jig". LOLHali tire.jpg

Crazy.....I would have been thinking "body" the whole time. Half an hour is a long time for an imagination to act up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your arm must have felt like rubber after that

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

Not bad! See if you can sell it on craigslist now ;)

I once caught a 15lb ROCK! The jig caught a massive old barnacle on the rock, and I "fought" it all the way to the surface.

my dad caught a plastic bag once....He screamed halibut and booted all of us off the rods... It was the funniest thing you ever seen when a looked at the garbage bag filled with water breaking the surface....... Never forget the embarrassment..

Ever foul hooked a salmon on the chuck and yelled at everyone to back off, as you had a "big fish".....

Then it comes up 10-15 lb salmon... embarrassing.

Not bad! See if you can sell it on craigslist now ;)

I once caught a 15lb ROCK! The jig caught a massive old barnacle on the rock, and I "fought" it all the way to the surface.

I can remember that happening when I was a kid, years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever foul hooked a salmon on the chuck and yelled at everyone to back off, as you had a "big fish".....

Then it comes up 10-15 lb salmon... embarrassing.

Tail hooked a 35lber in Rivers years ago. Thought it was huge, had absolutely no control over the fish. Two hours later released it.

I hooked a hali, that I thought was an absolutely monster on Constance. Every time it ran it easily went back down to the bottom. Took me over 45 minutes to get it up... when I did it was hooked on a close by boats anchor rope. Luckily it popped over the anchor rope and we managed to keep it. Although a 62lb isn't a huge, it sure felt that way!

Hooked a hali once then it too stopped 10 ft off the bottom, felt wratchety...really weird it would move then stop. After close to an hour realized it must be caught on bottom so snapped the line off and that was that. Imagine the surprise when I pulled the anchor up with the winch and over the bow comes a nice Halibut with the line caught all through the anchor chain it was hilarious.

Hooked a hali once then it too stopped 10 ft off the bottom, felt wratchety...really weird it would move then stop. After close to an hour realized it must be caught on bottom so snapped the line off and that was that. Imagine the surprise when I pulled the anchor up with the winch and over the bow comes a nice Halibut with the line caught all through the anchor chain it was hilarious.

You didn't keep it did you? ;-)

This isnt an ocean or halibut story, but might be acceptable. I was fishing on the Columbia River years ago for rainbow trout. I had a deadly dick lure hanging down the bottom of a deep hole. I hooked into a sturgeon with 8 pound test, on a small spinning reel. I fought that fish for about an hour as he pulled me around the large hole on the river. I got him to within 10 feet of the boat when the lure popped free. I dont know who was more exhausted, but I knew I had a story to remember for years to come.

I caught a sunken prawn trap a couple weeks back in 200' feet of water. Thought I had my first hali, I could have sworn I felt it fighting. :D

Back