How many hali did you actually take in 2013?

Zero. Didn't target them at all this year. Five other licenses in my boat this year and zero for all those as well.

Kept 4-5 for myself... all in the 15-25lb range. Gave a few pieces to friends and fam and still have at least 15lbs of filets in the freezer. May have to make some hali tacos this week.

after 2 ping pong paddles in the last 5 years of skunks and lost fish to gaff men, this year was a nice improvement. Personally -a 50,24, and 25 and of about 4 or 5 friends who regularly fish with me they got a 58, 20, 15, and lost one around 40. That's my recollection anyway.

17 for the boat
That was 4 west coast trips, had limits 2 out 4 trips
18 to 25 mostly 1 30 and 1 38
6 licenses
Still have about 20lbs of filets left

From an out-of-province guy...

3 guys, one trip, limited out...3 of the 6 were at the top end of the slot, the other 3 were small (14-20 lbs).

Spent a fair amount of money on a yearly trip, the end result was a freezer that was no where as full as past years (even though limits were reached).

Freezer was depleted before January hit.

They need to find a way to measure economic impact of their TAC decisions on local economies, as "annual" pilgrimages to the coast may turn into bi-annual or tri-annual trips instead (that is, skip a year or two, as the cost is no longer justified by meat in the freezer).

Flame away...but the fact of the matter is...the majority of "out of province" fishermen don't have the means to take multiple trips per year, and make every attempt to limit out when they do make it out. Take away the "spoils" (which often justify the cost of the trip), and a percentage of those fishermen will stick closer to home instead.

...and with all due respect to the local fishermen in a given area, it's the tourist dollars that drive coastal communities. Hotels, rentals, lodges, guides, tackle, bait, etc.

IMO, take out the slot. Keep the top end (would prefer it bigger), but let us keep 2 decent fish. The 6 annual does nothing for us...unless we move to the coast of course...so no opinion on that.

Zero on three Licenses.

I never been catch halibut in whole my life. Actually I always want to catch one.

i agree with Bragg's comment's 100 % , and i am going to add a couple more , 1st , you don't have to be from out of province to feel the expense of a , once a year trip to the coast , we [3] have only ever caught one halibut in about 12 years , so let's not even talk freezer space , tac sure you bet , were a big threat alright , i get ticked because our " OPPORTUNITY " to catch fish is removed and then again restricted because of the two day travel possession limit ,#2 i know this thread is about Halibut , but that same 2 day traveling restriction apply's to salmon for us as well , so let's see , average of zero halibut , 2 coho [ hatchery restriction ] 2 springs restricted to under 77cm , one trip a year @ close to $3000 [ from the Kootenays] ya gotta start questioning the tas [ total allowed spent ] , being a sportsman and saying you do it all for the sport of fishing is one thing , however for what we spend to even get there ,you have to at least attempt to justify the trip with something to bring home ! There simply are more and more pilgrims not willingto make the trip . As Bragg said annual limits mean nothing for us ! how about the minister responsible stand up to the plate and promote some local in house tourism and keep us not from the coast in mind ! may i even bring up a 3 day travelling possession limit for us one trip per year guys ! i really don't require 30 salmon per year !

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to vent .

i agree with Bragg's comment's 100 % , and i am going to add a couple more , 1st , you don't have to be from out of province to feel the expense of a , once a year trip to the coast , we [3] have only ever caught one halibut in about 12 years , so let's not even talk freezer space , tac sure you bet , were a big threat alright , i get ticked because our " OPPORTUNITY " to catch fish is removed and then again restricted because of the two day travel possession limit ,#2 i know this thread is about Halibut , but that same 2 day traveling restriction apply's to salmon for us as well , so let's see , average of zero halibut , 2 coho [ hatchery restriction ] 2 springs restricted to under 77cm , one trip a year @ close to $3000 [ from the Kootenays] ya gotta start questioning the tas [ total allowed spent ] , being a sportsman and saying you do it all for the sport of fishing is one thing , however for what we spend to even get there ,you have to at least attempt to justify the trip with something to bring home ! There simply are more and more pilgrims not willingto make the trip . As Bragg said annual limits mean nothing for us ! how about the minister responsible stand up to the plate and promote some local in house tourism and keep us not from the coast in mind ! may i even bring up a 3 day travelling possession limit for us one trip per year guys ! i really don't require 30 salmon per year !

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to vent .

Doesn't sound like the sea got spanked too hard there, sorry to hear that.

I would suggest that you do more research on where you went on your fishing trip and avoid all those restrictions. Some fisheries are indeed restrictive due to conservation concerns. Many areas it's not uncommon for a group of 2 or 3 persons to possession limit out with their 4 chinooks, 4 cohos and 2 halibut. Still sportfishing but productive to justify your TAS.

3 day possession limit will never happen.....we are just trying to keep what we got.

Doesn't sound like the sea got spanked too hard there, sorry to hear that.

I would suggest that you do more research on where you went on your fishing trip and avoid all those restrictions. Some fisheries are indeed restrictive due to conservation concerns. Many areas it's not uncommon for a group of 2 or 3 persons to possession limit out with their 4 chinooks, 4 cohos and 2 halibut. Still sportfishing but productive to justify your TAS.

3 day possession limit will never happen.....we are just trying to keep what we got.

X2 on that Ft-I fish with a total of 3 guys for 3 to 4 days and it is impossible to ice down the total catch we are allowed from some area,s 12 springs 12 coho ,hali, lings, crab' prawns- if it is about taking fish home then study the areas more and go there. The coho limits last year were the best I have seen in some areas for many years.

From an out-of-province guy...

3 guys, one trip, limited out...3 of the 6 were at the top end of the slot, the other 3 were small (14-20 lbs).

Spent a fair amount of money on a yearly trip, the end result was a freezer that was no where as full as past years (even though limits were reached).

Freezer was depleted before January hit.

They need to find a way to measure economic impact of their TAC decisions on local economies, as "annual" pilgrimages to the coast may turn into bi-annual or tri-annual trips instead (that is, skip a year or two, as the cost is no longer justified by meat in the freezer).

Flame away...but the fact of the matter is...the majority of "out of province" fishermen don't have the means to take multiple trips per year, and make every attempt to limit out when they do make it out. Take away the "spoils" (which often justify the cost of the trip), and a percentage of those fishermen will stick closer to home instead.

...and with all due respect to the local fishermen in a given area, it's the tourist dollars that drive coastal communities. Hotels, rentals, lodges, guides, tackle, bait, etc.

IMO, take out the slot. Keep the top end (would prefer it bigger), but let us keep 2 decent fish. The 6 annual does nothing for us...unless we move to the coast of course...so no opinion on that.

Didn't make it out for hali last year so none for us.

I am an out of province fisherman as well

Bragg,, with all do respect and please don't take me wrong on this, I pass judgment on no one, but the days are gone when we can look at sport fishing as a meat hunt. Yes it is nice to take home some spoils from our adventures but we have to start to focus on the experience more than the spoils. Don't get me wrong I love some for the freezer as well,, both Salmon and Hali but we no longer should be looking to go there and fill the freezer. As a youngster back in the late 70's and early 80's I traveled out to the coast with my parents every summer. We had one focus,, fill the jars and fill the freezer. My father rest his soul was old school and believe me we filled every jar we were legal to do. We fished the good spots the out of the way holes. Dad and I fished and cleaned and mom canned all day, it was a job.. The first few years I started going west on my own I did the same,, fished hard and took as many as I could, my 3 boys were coming with me then and we filled our quota's. About 7 or 8 years ago I stopped being so focused on the meat and more on the experience,, oh I still take a few home but I have not taken my quota home in a long time, I take only what I feel is enough for a treat a couple times a month for most of the year. Believe me it hasn't been for lack of fish,, I seem to do alright on that. I believe the 2 Hali possession limit is fine, add your total of 8 Salmon, 4 Chinook,,( go for the bigger ones for smoking and canning) and your 4 Coho,, this one can be tough if your only aloud Hatchery. But put all this together and there is plenty of meat..

Again each to his own,, but its a sport fishery we have to start to treat it as such and enjoy it,, not make it work and focus on just filling the freezer.

Just my view,, not that's its worth much..

Didn't make it out for hali last year so none for us.

I am an out of province fisherman as well

Bragg,, with all do respect and please don't take me wrong on this, I pass judgment on no one, but the days are gone when we can look at sport fishing as a meat hunt. Yes it is nice to take home some spoils from our adventures but we have to start to focus on the experience more than the spoils. Don't get me wrong I love some for the freezer as well,, both Salmon and Hali but we no longer should be looking to go there and fill the freezer. As a youngster back in the late 70's and early 80's I traveled out to the coast with my parents every summer. We had one focus,, fill the jars and fill the freezer. My father rest his soul was old school and believe me we filled every jar we were legal to do. We fished the good spots the out of the way holes. Dad and I fished and cleaned and mom canned all day, it was a job.. The first few years I started going west on my own I did the same,, fished hard and took as many as I could, my 3 boys were coming with me then and we filled our quota's. About 7 or 8 years ago I stopped being so focused on the meat and more on the experience,, oh I still take a few home but I have not taken my quota home in a long time, I take only what I feel is enough for a treat a couple times a month for most of the year. Believe me it hasn't been for lack of fish,, I seem to do alright on that. I believe the 2 Hali possession limit is fine, add your total of 8 Salmon, 4 Chinook,,( go for the bigger ones for smoking and canning) and your 4 Coho,, this one can be tough if your only aloud Hatchery. But put all this together and there is plenty of meat..

Again each to his own,, but its a sport fishery we have to start to treat it as such and enjoy it,, not make it work and focus on just filling the freezer.

Just my view,, not that's its worth much..

Wow! What a nice pretty story . Your right why don't we make it all catch and release. I have no trouble paying thousands and thousands of dollars for my boat and equipment . Add to that the thousands in maintenance ,insurance, gas ,bait , new tackle , moor-age, accommodation and so on and so on. So I can go by fish at the store while I kill a bunch and let them go so some feel good give up what little we still have thinker can say . "It is about the sport"

Bull ****. Fish are food. Sure I can buy it instead of catch it but I prefer to gather food while doing something I love. Don't start the bandwagon that the food should be considered a bonus to the experience. We all might as well sell all our **** and just book a charter once a year to take us on an echo tour or maybe so we can have the experience of catching and likely killing a fish before we throw it back. Holly f...

By the way , Good for you for only taking what you need.

I am not saying we need to go limit out every time or take more than we need. I am just saying don't start preaching the "it dose not matter if we catch anything or not". We do it for the experience crap. It dose matter if DFO keeps taking away our right to have a reasonable expectation of harvesting a reasonable amount of FOOD so some Commie can catch it, kill it and sell it

Last edited by a moderator:
Back