Grady White 30 Marlin vs. Seaswirl Striper 2901

fishin_magician

Which is better?

My friend and I have been discussing the merits of each boat, and it would seem that one could walk away with a considerable chunk of change if one bought the Seaswirl..

Thought I'd put the question to the board and see what people think..

The Grady White is better, no questions asked if your talking about lay out, quality, ride, etc. However, the sea swirl will be much cheaper, better on fuel, and still one heck of a boat

I know the ad says 26', but i believe its actaully a 23' boat, maybe loa 26'..i dont believe they made that model in a 26, i could be wrong

Thats the exact boat that got detroyed in the big winds off of sooke a couple of weeks back the left chine was gone and a nice hole in the left bow sorry (starboard) LOL and it was the 2601 model.

Now if I had that kind of money to spend on a boat like these ones I think I would go to my favotite factory (hourston,double eagle) and get one custom made.

Did any one see that custom one built by hurston off of sooke this year with the pod and the twin motors on it NOW that is a sweet ride tons of room and comfortable for guests.those other boats are great 2 seater boats

Wolf

Seaswirl owners have a site you might want to check out, SEASTRIPER.COM

I agree with Wolf. Since the dawn of fiberglass boats, boat builders have been trying to cut corners, and have realized that yes, fiberglass and resin are EXPENSIVE. Seaswirl has a rep as a good boat, but they do use a plethora of other "stuff" in there. Having solid glass between you and Davey Jones's locker is important to me, and although expensive, Grady has this rep. Yes, they do use wood, but the devil you know is better then the devil you don't. Just go to www.docksidereports.com for some interesting pics of "advanced composite" hull failures. Yep, foam don't rot, but boy, you get some water in it, and the Styrene that forms the bubbles is dissolved in water. Styrene is the smell you get when you catalzye (Sorry about the spelling, I'm into 'em heavily) fiberglass, and it happens to be a brutal solvent. So now you get the stuff that "melts" polyester resin (Your boat is made of the same stuff as your nice comfy boxer shorts), and Voila, fiberlass hull failure.

Besides, you can get a Grady for CHEAP from below the line with our dollar right now, for a fraction of new.

Our local boats (Hourston Eagle and Monaro), are tough, and use good ol' fasioned glass and resin, and they just work..

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

I agree with Wolf. Since the dawn of fiberglass boats, boat builders have been trying to cut corners, and have realized that yes, fiberglass and resin are EXPENSIVE. Seaswirl has a rep as a good boat, but they do use a plethora of other "stuff" in there. Having solid glass between you and Davey Jones's locker is important to me, and although expensive, Grady has this rep. Yes, they do use wood, but the devil you know is better then the devil you don't. Just go to www.docksidereports.com for some interesting pics of "advanced composite" hull failures. Yep, foam don't rot, but boy, you get some water in it, and the Styrene that forms the bubbles is dissolved in water. Styrene is the smell you get when you catalzye (Sorry about the spelling, I'm into 'em heavily) fiberglass, and it happens to be a brutal solvent. So now you get the stuff that "melts" polyester resin (Your boat is made of the same stuff as your nice comfy boxer shorts), and Voila, fiberlass hull failure.

Besides, you can get a Grady for CHEAP from below the line with our dollar right now, for a fraction of new.

Our local boats (Hourston Eagle and Monaro), are tough, and use good ol' fasioned glass and resin, and they just work..

Yup...if it aint broke don't fix it as they say.

Looks like Striper 2901's aren't holding their value as well as Grady's in the size I'm looking at, and it would appear Seaswirl is on a "get rich quick" scheme with their options.

Also, looking at some of the problems from the Alaska Package that speaks volumes about the type of BS they're trying to pull.

I also noticed quite a bit of press that they've drummed up about knocking the Grady...which is interesting since no one is saying Seaswirl 2901 over Grady Marlin 30....

Seaswirl has plenty of convincing now to do to convince me to buy.

Went to that Seaswirl forum and lots of unsatisfied customers vs. the Grady website.

Interesting...

Well if you have that kind of money I guess fuel doesnt come into a guestion the bigger you go lots more fuel where a boat like "Last Chance" and myself which can take as many quests as we want (sometimes too many)get good fuel economy. I get 9 to 10.4 gallons an hour with the size of vessel I am running dont know about him but im sure its close to that.

Now a 30 ft boat with twin power is going to be double if not more depending on the weight and displacement of the hull that it is.You have to think of it in terms of dollars say for argument sake.

1 $100 in fuel x 80 trip = $8,000 in fuel

2 $250 in fuel x 80 trip = $20,000 in fuel

What bill would you want?????? at that rate your not going to make a whole lot of $$$$$$$$ I would rather have that money in my pocket.

Food for thought

Good luck Wolf

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Well if you have that kind of money I guess fuel doesnt come into a guestion the bigger you go lots more fuel where a boat like "Last Chance" and myself which can take as many quests as we want (sometimes too many)get good fuel economy. I get 9 to 10.4 gallons an hour with the size of vessel I am running dont know about him but im sure its close to that.

Now a 30 ft boat with twin power is going to be double if not more depending on the weight and displacement of the hull that it is.You have to think of it in terms of dollars say for argument sake.

What bill would you want?????? at that rate your not going to make a whole lot of $$$$$$$$ I would rather have that money in my pocket.

Food for thought

Good luck Wolf

True enough. Fuel isn't that much of a concern. The trick is to have the means to pay for it----if you can afford the boat, you can afford to run it.

However, knowing the fuel economy of these boats and the speed of these boats relative to the weather conditions you may be fishing in, it's definitely nice to enjoy the creature comforts of safety and sound mind depending on where you're fishing.

If you cruise at 32 MPH and you consume 22 US gallons, that's not bad considering the weight and safety benefits...top of it that's with twin 250's....

19.5 US gallons X 3.78 litres =73.71 Litres x 1.10/ litre = $81.08 fuel bill for running a total theoretical distance of 31 miles at optimum cruise. Ok..let's throw in some extra for running, and trolling around on a kicker and that puts us up to $120.

Not bad for running such a distance.

I wasn't thinking of running this boat for charter, however, on occasion I may.

Food for thought

Good luck Wolf

true, but your moving 4x the boat for 2x the fuel

I saw that hourston this year is sooke. All I have to say is wow! It had twin evinrudes with a moulded pod. What a nice boat probly the nicest boat ive seen around here!

Food for thought

Good luck Wolf

My burn is around that in the Renfrew swell, a bit better here.. You probably know of a few new Grady's on the scene, let's just say you DON'T want to get behind 'em when they are at the gas dock out there (Yes, bring another tank over, we still need more)..

[/quote]

[/quote]

BUT, how much more fishing room do you have? You still have an 8x8 foot deck. Sure, you have a microwave, TV, DVD Player, hot shower and probably a foot bath too. We are not in Florida or California where they run out hte night before, sleep 100 miles out, and fish for tuna the next morning, you are really moving a lot of extra space and interior. The walkaround style is not the usefull for us because, well, how often do we do that? We don't stop and cast into tuna schools, or anchor off reefs and jig. It really eats a lot of space.

Well are we here to fish or going out for a boat ride and watch videos and be pampered on a couch I dont need a boat for that ill sit at home!!!!!!!!!

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

[/quote]

BUT, how much more fishing room do you have? You still have an 8x8 foot deck. Sure, you have a microwave, TV, DVD Player, hot shower and probably a foot bath too. We are not in Florida or California where they run out hte night before, sleep 100 miles out, and fish for tuna the next morning, you are really moving a lot of extra space and interior. The walkaround style is not the usefull for us because, well, how often do we do that? We don't stop and cast into tuna schools, or anchor off reefs and jig. It really eats a lot of space.
[/quote]

We'll that's interesting..then I guess a Center Consoled boat would be awesome then for you guys.

Add a couple of pedestal seats and you're laughing...however you're still stuck in the weather and you're going to burning all kinds of fuel and you're going to be limited to where you want to fish...and personally I think anyone running 24 miles offshore is absolutely ludicrous in a small boat and getting the CRAP kicked out of you.

A walkaround is nice..particularly when you hit neutral and have fun chasing your tyee around the boat.

For myself personally, it's nice to be out of the weather and be able to head out and fish anywhere you want, spend the next night or 2, and have a blast...no accommodations to seek out, pay for, etc..

Boats like a Grady Marlin 30 or a Seaswirl 2901 aren't about just straight up fishing--they have center consoled boats for that.., but fishing and accomodation comfort, and easy of maintenance, seaworthiness, etc, and safety and range over a variety of weather conditions make the difference.

If you want to run a charter business...then a Center Consoled boat is just fine..particularly with a Bimini Top....however if the winter and wet weather is coming down you're definitely in for it.

I like the idea of running however far I want to run for a weekend getaway and not having to worry about accommodations or safety issues, even if it's floating 25 miles offshore....and having a six hour snooze..

Back