GPS module not responding

lazoman

The dreaded Lowrance "GPS module not responding" hit me a few weeks ago. I would disconnect everything from the unit for a few minutes, and when powered back up the signal connected briefly before losing it again. All the wiring in the cuddy-dash area was in good shape, but I tested and cleaned all connections, tried resetting the unit (LMS 525c), even did the software upgrade which did provide some new features and rearranged some of the menu items to a more usable location. This did help, it would stay up for a 1/2 hour before losing it again.

Then I went to the battery box in the stern, the cables connectors were a bit rusty, but not too bad. I removed a panel exposing the wiring behind the 2 way switch and there was a ton of rust and corrosion on the bus bar connecting the engine/batteries/switch/front bus. Replacing all terminal connectors and battery cables did the trick. Applied a good coating of grease to all exposed connectors.

Unit works great now, has "Position Acquired" a few seconds after power up !! Still spent over $100, but better than $249 for a LGC-3000.

I get that too -- last summer at the absolute worst time!!! Out at Swiftsure -- thick thick fog rolls in and "bing" Lowrance LCX-104 tells me the position is lost. Power it off for a while, and back on again -- no joy. Go to the GPS screen and it "sees" 5 of 12 satellites so should be able to get a fix.

Fortunately, the prior summer my wife got me a radar package for my 40th, that came with a redundant GPS. Had to navigate home with the second plotter.

Lowrance never came back that day. Next day (no fog) it powered up and acquired a position like nothing had happened. I called Lowrance and they said it "might" be an antenna going bad, but could also be a firmware issue (I'm at the latest load). Tech suggested doing a hard factory reset of the device (means losing all settings and stored data) -- that "might" work. Didn't do it, and it hasn't failed since, but I am now a firm believer in having a backup system.

TenMile
<'((((><

Lazoman glad to here it works again. Next time you’re in there swap out the fuse holders. You can get some great ones from Strathcon. They hold marine grade blade fuses and work great.
http://www.strathcon.com/
they are here in the CV

Thanks GLG, I did put in two new ATO fuse holders up front, rubber coated marine ones. Also replaced a 60A blade fuse running to the front bus. Good to have a spare onboard, only ( $4 )

Really suprised me to see all that rust in back, all the battery/switch wiring was basically new when I bought it a year ago, but not the best quality.

Spray all your terminal ends with LPS-3 every year and you won't have rust/corrosion problems.

Issue is you are not getting enough power to the unit....if you have a power drop the unit will not function in GPS mode. This is a common problem. As you discovered it can be fixed by ensuring you have good quality power connections that are not interrupted by other things on your boat that draw too much current from the line you have the unit hooked into.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Apart from electrical supply and connection issues, I wonder if using a different brand NMEA GPS antenna (e.g. Garmin or Maretron) would make an improvement[?]

I am VERY frustrated with my Lowrance LCX 37c soundeer/charter combo and new LGC 4000 GPS antenna. It is a great unit when it works. But I have checked and re-checked the power supply and wiring, gone through 3 GPS antennas and I still get the @#$%ing "GPS module not responding" flashing up intermitantly. There is not rhyme or reason as to when it comes on and off. I have tried most of the common solutions.

Anybody got any clues how to fix it[?]

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Bring it to me.

You have no contact info.
Send me a PM
I'm in the CV

Back