Fuel tank replacement.

Mighty Sylvan

I'm about to cough up some serious coin for a major repair. All last year I could smell fuel and this year the leak has presented its self. My whaler is designed to come apart to access the tank at some serious labour cost. Who else has replaced their fuel tank and at what cost?

Just replaced mine, close to 4K with an overbuilt 100 gal aluminum tank including all the labour

Its a crappy job, just make sure you're replacing your fuel lines, gauge wires, fill lines while its all apart and open - might as well make sure everything is brand new.

But if your whaler allows for easy access, why is the cost so high? Normally the biggest problem is getting the tank and in and out, as you often need to cut the floor for access.

It's not really easy access but it allows access. There will be all kinds of parts and pieces to come out. I'm hoping it is easier then they think and therefore less labour. Good advice regarding the hoses and fittings. Thank you.

My boat is at Breakers. Do you guys suggest anyone else for a job like this?

I would say your in good hands there. They have a glass guy on staff it's not farmed out so that eliminates any finger pointing. I would suggest looking into a larger tank while your at it ,if at all possible.

Runamuk, thanks. I think I'm in good hands too. I just want to gather as much info as I can. The tank is already 125 gal. I have been very happy with the boats range.

I just got the boat back today. The price came within budget and I had some extras added too. It looks clean and well sealed. The welder increased the gauge of the aluminum tank and I'm sure this is the last time I need to worry about this boats fuel tank.

Just another thing to add. I have worked in the service business before and i can tell you that Doug the general manager at Breakers marine good. Like everyone he is trying to make money and that is great. What he does well at is "under promising and over delivering." I would recommend him to anyone.

Dennis and Gord are also top notch guys. I would recommend Breakers Marine to anyone. If I owned an outboard boat it would have Suzukis on her transom because of those guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back