Freshwater on salmon

bonkers

I have heard that using freshwater to clean salmon, ruins the meat. Is this true? And if so does anyone know why? The fish will eventually be in freshwater, or is the fact that the fish dies in the freshwater something to do with it??

I have heard that using freshwater to clean salmon, ruins the meat. Is this true? And if so does anyone know why? The fish will eventually be in freshwater, or is the fact that the fish dies in the freshwater something to do with it??

Washing the salmon fillets before freezing will cause freezer burn. This is because as water freezes it creates air pockets and exposure to air causes freezer burn. This creates a mushy outer surface.

Freezer burn can be cut off, but it's easier to just prevent it.

It is said that if fresh water touches the meat it is no longer sushi grade. I will fillet my fish some times pat it dry then freeze on a sheet. Then glaze the fillet with fresh water and vac. pack. They last way longer.

Make sure the water you are using is cold and clean.

Only ever had problems if the water wasnt cold or too much pressure was used to wash the meat. And yes always dry any kind of filet before vacuum
packing.

Back