Deep cycle batteries

Stosh

I like to replace my deep cycles every 4-5 years. I'm considering putting in Optima blue tops this time instead of standard batteries. Are there any great advantages to going with Optimas?

I have a spiral gel marine battery that has been working for almost 10 years now. It is in my truck as a second battery and for my electric trolling motor.
A friend of mine has a good tip for this. He buys his batteries at West Marine. Kind of expensive but... He takes them back every year and gets new ones, on a claim of warranty which they have ALWAYS honoured.

Pretty hard to beat Trojans.
Dave

Stay away from both the Red and Blue tops. If you do some research on them you will never/ever think of using them for any thing.

They are crap to say the least.

OK, I think a statement such as that call for a little more detail.

Care to enlighten us on your reasoning?

Thanks for the info. I may just go back to the Kirkland deep cycles, they are almost 5 years old - not bad for inexpensive batteries.

OK, I think a statement such as that call for a little more detail.

Care to enlighten us on your reasoning?
Read even past threads on this. It is not a new topic on any forum. Dam even 2 years ago I think I started a tread about this my self as I was going to buy one to replace a Nautilus Battery which was new when I bought my last boat. I was told not only buy numerious dealers not to buy one I was instucted here on SFBC not to buy one. Go ask a dealers. Putting on of these in a boat is like puting a Cambodian Tire Marine Battery in your boat. Good for one season if that.

Stosh, Not going to get into a agm vs lead acid debate but i have two optimas so i can give my actual experience. I use a optima deep cell for my house battery and a optima starting battery for my engine which is a 200 hp. Main reason i tried these as i wanted to free up some space in the back and i moved one battery into a compartment under my front seat and the optimas are sealed agm batteries so they do not leak any fluid and can be placed in any position. A lead acid battery would have leaked up there and made a mess so i wanted to try the optimas. Im into the 4th season and i have had no issues so far. Like any batteries you need to keep them charged when sitting for extended period and you should have a smart charger that handles agm batteries as they do not like the higher voltage charges of a lead acid would get.

There are lots of quality lead acid batteries for 1/2 the price and a lot more MCA and may be the better choice in a lot of situations but my main reason for the optimas was they are sealed and clean, can take more of a pounding on the water and they don't leak battery acid out.

good luck

I use Interstate batteries that came with my boat when AI bought it new. I have on starting and one deep cycle batteries for starting and trolling purposes. This combo works well. Key to good battery life is regular charging with a smart charger to keep them topped up.

Back