Crossing Georgia strait in small boat

GSiloveyou

Looking to make the crossing in a 17 foot 2020 boston whaler 170 dauntless with 115hp merc. Relatively new to boating but have made several trips around vancouver and into howe sound.

Looking to cross from the fraser river above the airport directly to thrasher rock at gabriola islands to do some fishing. I've been monitoring weather through predictwind and the forecast seems to be good for tomorrow 4-7kts with nothing over 10kts. I will be going with a buddy and have all necessary safety equipment, gps and VHF radio.

Is this possible? safe? or a good idea? Never personally seen any boats this small make the crossing but i've been told whalers are seaworthy. Any advice on what everyone thinks and if theres a betting crossing route would be appreciated.

Thanks all,

Definitely pick your days and it gets ugly out there mid straight. Early morning when its calm and then fish the morning if its calm afternoon then think about going back in. Otherwise you may have to duck into silvabay and wait it out id its kicks up on you in the afternoon. Or fish through it and then head back in the evening.

I fish the strait often and have for multiple years around Nanaimo, one thing that is for sure the weather and wind forecasts are inaccurate. Difference is, I stay within a few miles of shore and can turn back anytime which I have many times. In your case, you'd be trapped and forced to make life endangering decisions to return home. Once you do the crossing without issue the first time, you'll do it again and the sea will bite when you least expect it. In my opinion, anything with an open bow is asking for it. Bay boats are just that, bay boats. This is the forecast for today at 4am, looks very different than your forecast above.

Wind light increasing to southeast 10 to 15 knots this afternoon and to southeast 15 to 20 near midnight.

With that forecast, Id be staying home. You are the captain, it's your boat and its your life. Stay safe.

When out at Thrasher and you look back towards Vancouver,i looks calm. . Get a couple km towards the middle and it's always rough. With the river going one direction and currents meeting it in the middle, the waves are choppy. We do it in 20 foot aluminum. I've been forced to drive the inside of the island and go through active pass. Cross to point Roberts. My wife will never come again. Being in really rough water is cool for fifteen in minutes. Two hours crossing in an open boat would lose its appeal.

Looking to make the crossing in a 17 foot 2020 boston whaler 170 dauntless with 115hp merc. Relatively new to boating but have made several trips around vancouver and into howe sound.

Looking to cross from the fraser river above the airport directly to thrasher rock at gabriola islands to do some fishing. I've been monitoring weather through predictwind and the forecast seems to be good for tomorrow 4-7kts with nothing over 10kts. I will be going with a buddy and have all necessary safety equipment, gps and VHF radio.

Is this possible? safe? or a good idea? Never personally seen any boats this small make the crossing but i've been told whalers are seaworthy. Any advice on what everyone thinks and if theres a betting crossing route would be appreciated.

Thanks all,

Lots of good advice here...and the theme is to be cautious and know your limits. The forecasts can be inaccurate and weather can change quickly. Also, sea state depends upon way more than just the wind...the duration of the wind, direction, tidal currents, etc all play a role. Thrasher can be a very unforgiving place, also the mouth of the North Arm. This time of year there's LOTS of driftwood/debris in the water. The Fraser River is in freshet mode and the currents are pumping.

I've highlighted part of your post above....Whalers are seaworthy up to a point, but that doesn't mean that they can go out in any weather. A swamped (flooded) boat can easily capsize and at the water around here is cold...if you end up in the water hypothermia is a very real danger.

Be respectful of the ocean, gain experience, and never be complacent.

I used to crossed regularly in my 16' arima, just check that forecast and have a plan to stay over if need be.

I have also seen guys over at cabbage island that have taken skidoos over from crescent beach...

Not sure if you ended up going or not this morning. It is possible. It can be safe. If you are relatively new to boating, I'd say not a good idea yet. If your buddy is new to boating as well then definitely not a good idea.

Camping at Dionisio, I once witnessed a guy arrive in a brand new Sea Ray with his family. They had set out from Salmon Arm and bashed there way across the straight in a 20+ knot NE wind. When they arrived they were out of fuel, and wanting off the boat. The family unloaded their gear (rolling suitcases lol) and set up camp, while the captain headed off in search of fuel. Next morning as they were loading back up, he confided that he'd make a huge mistake and the family never wanted to boat camp again.

Whalers are seaworthy boats, but with the open bow you have increased risk of taking a lot of water into the boat over the bow in steep waves that are tight together. This is common in strong tidal currents at river mouths, sand bars, and narrow passes (like Active, Porlier, Gabriola) . If this happens, and you really bury it, don't stop the boat. Keep moving forward, keeping the bow up, and get someone manually pumping or bailing (have a really good manual pump) along with the bilge pump. I think Whalers are self bailing and you can remove the bung from the inside, but depending how much water is in the boat, if you have taken on a significant amount, it may not be a good idea to remove.

You mention you have all the safety gear. Good! If you haven't already done so, enable the VHF distress button by connecting your VHF to your chart plotter and register for an MMSI. Then test that it works! Also being a fully open boat, consider getting a cruiser suit. Those things are awesome! Keeps you warm and dry and floating.

Last edited:
Don't chance it.

I had a 17ft Montauk and used to fish the Hump and the weather would turn in a hurry and it was a slow go in and that's a much shorter distance.

Just bomb around the harbour when it's blowing 20 W and on a steep out going tide, poke your nose around WestVan on a rip tide and you will feel how small
you are... go find big water close to home and get some experience, i'm in a 16' and got caught in a nasty westerly coming back from west van to vanier damn
short ride but freaky as ****, riding the trough that were higher then my boat...

Be Safe and respect the ocean it can get mean in seconds...

Guys in your size boat have been running across to fish thrasher and polier pass for years. Light and variable maybe moderate would be the forecast to go on , never trust a SE, be prepared to stay at Gabriola overnight if need be, and don't be afraid to throttle back and take your time, too much throttle is not your friend in rough water.

Jumping in here as I am curious too about my boat and going to thrasher, had a boat for few years and own a 1996 campion 185/542 with. 2006 optimax 115. Still too small or safe too go?

Back