Coating on aluminum welded patch or to plug holes

Any recommendations on products?

Issue 1 - I have one where there is a crack line well-above the waterline but would like to patch this. I will likely get it welded at some point, but in the meantime would like something to fill this. It is about 2 inches long and a mm wide and stopped with a small drilled hole.

Issue 2 - The other issue is I did a pretty aggressive launch and take out and some of the seam seal type protectant (clear thick goo) came off. This was covering a welded patch.

I recently purchased the boat and knew about the patchs and protectant over top of them but got a little greedy for convenience sake in my launchs.

Thanks for your help with this.

I've used JB weld marine before. Laid it on pretty heavy and it's holding up very well.

Yea I agree don't fill the crack with crap otherwise when a guy welds it he'll have to burn it out and it will look like ***** then gauge it out to clean metal and fill it again.

Yea I agree don't fill the crack with crap otherwise when a guy welds it he'll have to burn it out and it will look like ***** then gauge it out to clean metal and fill it again.

Tend to agree with you guys especially as the boat is fine in the short-term with the crack. On another note one of the welded patches has clear epoxy coating on it. As the patch is welded securely just curious what you think the coating was applied for?

Ya mine had a new patch welded on, but I still found putting the JB marine weld on, sealed up the weld to like new. Mind you mines below the water line.

Back