Coating downrigger balls

rob at pacific net will do them for a few bucks or you might want to talk to the guys at industrial plastics? ive heard its a bit of a process??

just head west off the island, when u get to japan, drop'em and start trolling, shouldnt take long for your balls and many other things to start glowing,lmao, sorry charlie, couldnt help myself,lol, seriously tho, i know someone on here knows or does it, cant remember who tho...im sure they will be along shortly tho, maybe DHA?...holmes*

LOL Thanks. That may be so but at least being on the inside we can use you west coasters for a buffer.

These are my favorite! They hold the best of both worlds when looking for the ultimate in fish attracting finishes - UV/Glow.

When I use flashers I tend to clip on around 15 to 20 feet behind the ball. Without flashers while using spoons or plugs I hook on as short as four feet behind the ball. The original idea of using coated balls as attractors was realized a number of years ago while on a fishing trip to Barkley sound on Derby's boat. He asked me to get him some chartreuse coat 15lbs balls...not so much for attracting, but to be different from other anglers. It was a weird year for off colored water, we soon realized that we were having great success compared to other near by boats that were cramped into the same area. It took us the entire trip to figure out that the only difference that we had observed was the color of the balls that we were using. After going home, later that week I got glow balls done and never looked back. I either fish straight glow or use Glow/UV.

attachment.php

so what happens when they get bounced on bottom ? im sure after time all that pretty coating get wrecked (me persoanlly would be one days fishing) LOL LOL
I like my balls plain LOL

This might be the wrong question but why the h*** would you want to coat a ball. I've used a plastic clip and rope and my ball is about 8 years old and is in great shape. With glow scents available now you have same effect for halibut. If you want more get one of those halibut bait lights. If you just want it to look good you have too much time and money.

I sprayed UV Blast on a ball last year, and after a full season of use, it is still glowing. Can't say I have noticed it catches more fish though.

Personally i like them because the rubber coating does not mark up the floor,sides and is softer on the fiberglass. I have never had the coating peel at all and i bounce bottom all the time. Not sure if it really attracts fish but it cant hurt and it only costs a few bucks so no reason not to.

PS how could you ever have a cannonball for 8 years...

PS how could you ever have a cannonball for 8 years...

After a year where I had a few "spontaneous" snubber and cable snaps, all of which occurred well off bottom, and where I did not lose a single ball to a legitimate bottom snag, that would have been my question as it seems like they will be lost one way or another.

I use a small length of rope to connect to a clip and also use a black box. Usually fish that one from 30-140 feet. Still no sign of it being eaten Play around bottom structures with the other. Go through a couple a year on that side.

so what happens when they get bounced on bottom ? im sure after time all that pretty coating get wrecked (me persoanlly would be one days fishing) LOL LOL
I like my balls plain LOL

Wolf, if your balls are peeling, you are buying the wrong ones! LOL You can slice the coating that we use like an orange and it will never de-laminate from the ball. We purposely bounce bottom continuously looking for slabs, hali and bottom fish, you get dents, that's it.

DHA.

LOL LOL
OWWW hate it when my balls peel all in fun Robb......Still like em plain just like other thing not covered up LOL LOL
you be the judge on that one.....

Hmmm...now I'm curious...probably works well for hali but salmon not too sure...depends how deep you are fishing too I'd imagine. Not to get too far off topic but anyone tried the glow scents? Saw guys in Alaska using them for halibut on angler west

Kelly....I have only ever bought 5 cannonballs in my life. Two are sitting in the garage never ever been used.
Lost one in 2001 off F.C. and replaced it. So I guess that makes about 11 years with one cannonball.
The other is 21 years old.
Prior to that I used 10lb'ers in the Alberni Inlet back in the day...still have those---they are 31 years old.

That's unreal...
i've lost dozens over the years, less lately.
some of my fishing buds have been known to lose a few as well. ;)

Back