Chinook netting on the Fraser has officially begun!

This opening must be part of the limited FSC approach. They never stated there wouldn't be FSC opportunities, just that they would be very limited in scope. This one was 8 hours....pretty limited opportunity compared to what normally takes place. So before we light our hair on fire here, the Tommy case sets out why there is no recreational fishery on Fraser stocks...as long as there are ANY restrictions on FSC, our fishery will be zero...... so, if you actually want to fish, focus your effort on ensuring there are abundant Chinook such that there are no infringements on FSC.

Here's the specific sections of the Tommy case for reference:

[81] The special circumstances of the 1999 fishing season were contemplated by the court in Sparrow, where it stated at ¶78:

The significance of giving the aboriginal right to fish for food top priority can be described as follows. If, in a given year, conservation needs required a reduction in the number of fish to be caught such that the number equalled the number required for food by the Indians, then all the fish available after conservation would go to the Indians according to the constitutional nature of their fishing right. If, more realistically, there were still fish after the Indian food requirements were met, then the brunt of conservation measures would be borne by the practices of sport fishing and commercial fishing.

[Emphasis added.]

[82] In my view, the underlined portion of the Sparrow passage reflects the circumstances of the 1999 Chinook fishing season, while the last statement of the passage more closely reflects the circumstances in Douglas.

[83] In the circumstances of these appeals, where there was insufficient fish to meet the First Nations’ food, social and ceremonial needs, I am of the view that all of the available Chinook had to go to the First Nations, regardless of the minimal impact the recreational fisheries may have had on the stock. This was necessary in order to guarantee the appellants their constitutional right of priority to the fish in the circumstances that existed and were known to exist before the commencement of the 1999 fishing season. The appellants did not, in my view, receive priority when the DFO closed the aboriginal fishery while the sports and recreational fisheries continued to enjoy access to the Chinook, albeit on a limited basis. After setting valid conservation measures, the honour of the Crown required the DFO to give priority to the appellants’ right to fish over all other non-aboriginal user groups, including the marine and in-river recreational fisheries.

As noted elsewhere by others, get used to these regulations as they are here for many years.
If the runs do not improve this year, expect more closures.

As the Governments have done nothing on the ground to help the fish and there are NO plans for hatchery intervention.
Then this will go on for years just like the government has done for Fraser River Coho.

Looking like a fishery in the near future that will start on August 1 st at the rate it is going.
And due to the courts probably the south coast will be shut down.
It looks like the North Coast will be following soon.

Going to be interesting how the other Indian Bands deal with this.
Wonder how they like being controlled by a few of the Fraser Bands.

Last edited:
I have no problem not fishing.
If conservation is a concern all groups should not be fishing.

Pay special groups not to have there nets wiping out the endangered stocks!

If saving these runs is actually a concern then all groups will not be fishing, regardless if it is only an 8 hr opening.

With what DFO is telling us, every spawner counts!

How can you focus your attention on ensuring there are abundant early Chinook stocks in the future, when the critical brood stock that has survived and is on the home stretch, is being fished in the river???
Or ensure that they are not being fished in the river by having DFO monitors on all river fishing.

So
Let’s just be realistic
I’m going out on a limb here but I’m guessing it’s a very minor few from each band that are actually netting the river correct?
Secondly, DFO must have a target number of FSC fish for each band correct?

So In my world...the bands don’t care about the actual chinook populations but more so of the actual number of chinook that want....any chinook.

If this was about conservation, we would have a program in place where the rec/commercial sector catches all the fish long before the river and simply gifts it to the bands
Some sort of federally funded program that simply puts any chinook into their needs till we hit the number
It could be spread out for months and keep us on the water with minimal retention plus keep all the businesses open

Think about it
If you were simply asked to go catch 10 Chinook to give to a band as your part then you could continue with retention...you would do it.

Listen, it’s not a perfect solution but it might be an honest option to keep the nets out of the river and actually save the stocks in question.

Just spit balling here

The commercial guys could start fishing way early and simply ask where the FSC fish need to be delivered
Total accountability and probably way better quality fish ......

Honestly the options are out there and this isn’t such a bad idea given the court cases and if the bands truely want to talk conservation, this is simply a better option.
Better managed and accountable

Personally
If they asked me
And the government had some funding for fuel and wages etc
I would send my guys out and myself
You want 100 Chinook
Well ok then I guess we go get you 100 Chinook then.

My guess is the commercial trollers would be all over this idea.

Last edited:
If netting has to be allowed, wouldn't it be better if they only opened part of the river course? For example, open a section of river, but only allow from the center of the river to the South shore (for a river running from East to West)..... That way you'd know some fish have a chance to make it by.... Rather than fish having to run a true gauntlet to get through.

The commercial guys could start fishing way early and simply ask where the FSC fish need to be delivered
Total accountability and probably way better quality fish ......

Honestly the options are out there and this isn’t such a bad idea given the court cases and if the bands truely want to talk conservation, this is simply a better option.
Better managed and accountable

Personally
If they asked me
And the government had some funding for fuel and wages etc
I would send my guys out and myself
You want 100 Chinook
Well ok then I guess we go get you 100 Chinook then.

My guess is the commercial trollers would be all over this idea.

Don’t quote me but I believe the Comox Fn have an agreement where they do not fish the Puntledge, but instead they receive a certain amount of fish from either the Puntledge Hatchery or maybe the Cowichan.

Again I am not positive about the details of this, or if it is in existence today. Cubalibre , GLG, maybe you can comment on this .

I only mention it in response to your idea, because it is another similar example of a cooperative effort to meet the goal of getting more fish to the spawning beds.

So
Let’s just be realistic
I’m going out on a limb here but I’m guessing it’s a very minor few from each band that are actually netting the river correct?
Secondly, DFO must have a target number of FSC fish for each band correct?

So In my world...the bands don’t care about the actual chinook populations but more so of the actual number of chinook that want....any chinook.

If this was about conservation, we would have a program in place where the rec/commercial sector catches all the fish long before the river and simply gifts it to the bands
Some sort of federally funded program that simply puts any chinook into their needs till we hit the number
It could be spread out for months and keep us on the water with minimal retention plus keep all the businesses open

Think about it
If you were simply asked to go catch 10 Chinook to give to a band as your part then you could continue with retention...you would do it.

Listen, it’s not a perfect solution but it might be an honest option to keep the nets out of the river and actually save the stocks in question.

Just spit balling here

Excellent idea. It has been pitched by the commercial industry. My two cents is that FN wouldn’t be able to black market enough if it was totally accountable and therefore would not sign on. Look at the waste with the upriver roe plants.

Would love to see a no salmon parts ban for sturgeon fishing.
This would take away quite a bit of FN illegal sales.

Wasting endangered Chinook and sockeye for bait is disgusting.

Back