Chevron 87 ethanol content?

Fisherman Rob

I know ethanol content of fuel has been discussed previously, but I can't find a specific answer to what the ethanol content of Chevron 87 is and is it high enough to be a problem for a 1996 Yamaha 115 v4 2 stroke?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure its up to 10%. Thats all I have ever run in all my boats and never had a problem. Currently have a 1999 135 Optimax that ive put 600 out of 850hrs on with that fuel and its never had so much as a hiccup. To be fair my boat rarely goes 2 weeks without fresh fuel year round so it never really gets a chance to absorb any moisture. I like to purchase any ethanol blended fuel from a gas station with a high turn around rate on filling their tanks so I pick the busy ones.

Premium gas has no Ethanol and is only 10 cents more per liter.
Marine gas is mid grade (89) and has no Ethanol.
if its always had an Ethanol fuel should not be an issue, depends how much varnish has built up in the tank and lines I suppose.

I know ethanol content of fuel has been discussed previously, but I can't find a specific answer to what the ethanol content of Chevron 87 is and is it high enough to be a problem for a 1996 Yamaha 115 v4 2 stroke?

I run a 2001 150hp Optimax with no issues now. The ethanol absolutely destroyed the original fuel lines though. The lining completely crumbles into a million pieces. Fortunately I have an inline filter and the factory on on the powerhead.

Many premium fuels have ethanol as well, check the labels. Here is a link to the very few land based gas stations that sell ethanol free gas.

http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

How long did it take to ruin the original fuel lines?

I replaced my lines last year after figuring out what happened. There were intermittent fuel issues for a few years so probably lasted ten years. Good thing is most fuel lines are now rated for ethanol use. Look for the labelling right on the lines.

Easy to test…..do a google search and you will see.
Just need a clear jar, sharpie marker and some water

Can't speak for Chevron but every Spring I ask Peninsula Co op if there is any ethanol content in their marked gas. They have always said no so when the boat is on the trailer that's where I fuel up.

Ethanol content in Chevron gasolines are max 10% for both midgrade 89 and regular 87 at all land based lower mainland locations. Supreme grades do not have any ethanol. All three Chevron Marinas sell midgrade with NO ethanol content . Many older boats will have issues with ethanol in the fuel, as the ethanol it self is a great cleaner and will scrub out all of the varnish and dirt trapped in your fuel system including the fuel tank and lines. Older rubber lines are very prone to breakdown with using ethanol in the fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Costco gas bar in Langley has 91 no ethanol. Not sure if they have any other stations in BC.

Usually I see pumps tagged Regular, Mid Grade, Premium. But posts above mention octane levels of 87, 89, 91 and 94. Regular is 87, that's fine. But we two grade names for the three remaining octane numbers. Which is which?

Chevron has 2 tanks at a station. One with 87 octane with 10% ethanol in it. The other tank carries 94 octane with 0% ethanol in it. The mid grades are blended on site as you fill. It's not an exact percentage, but it works out to 10% for 87, 7% for 89, a little less thasn 5% for 91 and 0% for 94. I only put 94 in my vehicles and boats. It's worth it to me to not have any ethanol in any of my motors. All my off road toys only get 94 octane as well.

I'm not sure what the Chevron Legacy barge has for tankage. I'll ask the question and find out the answer. The marinas I've fueled up at usually offer a mid grade with no ethanol. Ethanol isn't very good for older engines. They weren't designed to handle it and the ethanol dries the gaskets and seals out. Same for some older cars. The newer motors I believe are designed to handle the ethanol in fuel.

I am just messin with you.. I operate all three Chevron Marinas in the Lower mainland including the Chevron Legacy. The gasoline is branded as midgrade with no ethanol in it. There are no plans to add e-10 to our product offering any time soon. The ethanol added to gasoline is a very effective solvent and causes issues with older equipment.

I am just messin with you.. I operate all three Chevron Marinas in the Lower mainland including the Chevron Legacy.

:confused: Instead of messing with us, I'd prefer a straight answer, which I think you have done in the end. So I think, given all the input so far (thanks!) that if fueling from a non-marine Chevron station, use the 94 for 'older' engines to avoid ethanol.

If you live on the Island, be aware that Suncor, Chevron and Imperial Oil often trade or sell fuel to each other. It's all barged over to about 5 different tank farms up and down the island. Co-op is just buying it from the big boys. Although Chevron usually has Chevron refined fuel and Suncor has their own ect. It's nothing for them to trade millions of L. Fuel "quality", flash point and clarity ect. fluctuates within acceptable parameters daily from refinery to refinery.

Back