Catch of the day

Whats that fish doing out of the water lying on a slab of wood? Who you trying to kid? Catch and release? Cmon.

Boo hoo don't read the posts then and quit clogging up the wall with your slander maybe put some nice fish pics up clearly the fish was hooked bad and bleeding like said the eagle was circling next time I will make sure to bonk it use row for steelheading and the rest for the crab traps

Boo hoo don't read the posts then and quit clogging up the wall with your slander maybe put some nice fish pics up clearly the fish was hooked bad and bleeding like said the eagle was circling next time I will make sure to bonk it use row for steelheading and the rest for the crab traps
Bleeding fish is a dead fish. And when handling fish ,you intend to release, lose the gloves.

"Put back to see another day"? Maybe not, considering your fingers in it's gills, which is the fish's most sensitive tissue, not to mention it's breathing organ. Too much risk of fatal damage. All it takes is for the fish to wiggle against your finger or fingernail. There's no need for that kind of handling nowadays, with the many online info sites about catch and release. Here's a quick one:
http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/catch_release.htm
Basically, you control the fish with one hand gripping the fish around the caudal peduncle. The other hand cradles the fish under the pelvic girdle....cradle, don't squeeze its guts.
Beauty fish, though. And it's good to see a PFD being worn in many of your shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Nice cutty Bloodbuggy, good fish handling as well. I was at langford this past weekend with limited success apart from a few small rainbows on chironomids.

Kunni

Good to see the bleeding harts on here, I guess you can see how the fish feels through your crystal ball,by the way dfo does a lot worse when they cut open our steelhead and put tracking collars in them not to mention they use barbed hooks when they catch these fish, oh and they gill net this lake every few years for science but hey you are right I will take what you had to say into consideration and change my ways thanks for the tips

Very Nice cutty Bloodbuggy, good fish handling as well. I was at langford this past weekend with limited success apart from a few small rainbows on chironomids.

Kunni
Thanks Kunni, only fished Langford a couple times with not much success, still fairly new to the South Island lakes, grew up fishin mostly Sprout, Cameron and Great Central lakes, troutin should be pickin up soon.

Great fish ,love the winter fishin these trout.In the next couple weeks these fish will be on there redds,and we should let the fish take advantage of there spawn.nothing worse than getting a trout to the boat or shore and the fish drops its pay-load right at your feet.I have had this happen,it changes your attitude towards cutties a little.

Island Fish Lifter. Couldnt think of a better place to have a float cabin then there, for the size of the lake it doesnt seem to get as much pressure, as most of these south island lakes seem to get pounded. Gotta say my fav has got to be Toquart lake, some good times staying at the cabins there.

I know cabins at SB ,and have walked down the road though the mountain at the gate at toquart .game have a trail at little toquart before the cuttbocks up the spur ,2 people have put a canoe in .

Island Fish Lifter. Couldnt think of a better place to have a float cabin then there, for the size of the lake it doesnt seem to get as much pressure, as most of these south island lakes seem to get pounded. Gotta say my fav has got to be Toquart lake, some good times staying at the cabins there.

yea, its the last float cabin, about 12 miles up. I can be there all weekend and not see another person. Just got the solar power working, got to do some deck work this spring. Constant maintenance.

Back