Catch of the Day

yeah this net is rough on the fish, I didnt net the first fish, but the second fish lost some scales and slime. All the fish seemed to swim away without injury, but that doesnt mean there ok. I might consider one of those C+R nets.

Kunni

yeah this net is rough on the fish, I didnt net the first fish, but the second fish lost some scales and slime. All the fish seemed to swim away without injury, but that doesnt mean there ok. I might consider one of those C+R nets.

Kunni

Get a Moby net, you can leave them in there, take a photo and release. Nice fish by the way!

thanks, I will look at those

kunni

Thanks steeliehead, Nelson?, I have looked at the nets, but they are out my price range. When I am out this weekend at the derby I'll snag a few more pics for you Cobra Driver

kunni

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Kunni

The one Rendraw has is great, not too expensive, handle extends, meshing seems pretty good for the fish and it's a decent size without going overboard.

Even Becky (8) is able to extend it in a panic and net me a big one. Now if I could just get her to pull up the anchors I would have a perfect sherpa!! She IS starting to outfish me so maybe it's the other way around. The Canadian tire at Admirals has them or the one in Duncan. I have not seen them anywhere else.

See you on the weekend, I assume you will be anchored most of the time at your usual position!
James

I will probably be dragging leechs, and anchored in the usual position if the fishing gets tough. Rendraws net does look nice, thanks for the picture.

kunni

I will probably be dragging leechs, and anchored in the usual position if the fishing gets tough. Rendraws net does look nice, thanks for the picture.

kunni

I used it today on a feisty 14" rainbow that took a pink squirt trolled behind a dodger! First time I have tried that technique and it got me one fish just when I was thinking of putting it away. I caught one more and had 3 more hits on a berkeley flicker shad. They were deep today for the most part, around 12' in no less than 35' of water. Good luck at the derby everyone!

weird, I was getting them high up in the water column, you can see that I had the floating line on one of the rods, and a very slow sinking on the other so I was fishing sub surface, max 4 ft deep. Rendraw, are you in your yellow kayak, or your buddies 13ft black welded aluminum?

kunni

Last edited by a moderator:
hey does anybody know what color of a chronomid would work best for this time of year, im fishing at fuller lake in chemainus, lol im totaly new to fly fishing i bought a indicator and chronomids and everything. thank you

I have done really well with dark olive 14s with no bead head tied super thin.

But your best bet is to get a 3$ throat pump and learn how to use it. Its invaluable and also just one of those super cool science things you get to do when fishing. Some if the contents will be confusing to you at first but over time you will figure a pattern out.

If you like to keep your fish then just drag a black leech until you land your first keeper and open it up and check the contents then go match the hatch.

Last say I was up at fuller the guys trolling leeches were outfishing chironomids 10-1 no joke! Keep a few leeches handy!

-KK

weird, I was getting them high up in the water column, you can see that I had the floating line on one of the rods, and a very slow sinking on the other so I was fishing sub surface, max 4 ft deep. Rendraw, are you in your yellow kayak, or your buddies 13ft black welded aluminum?

kunni

That is weird, I tried the day before yesterday for a couple hours with my usual floating rapalas and no joy.
I was in the yellow kayak yesterday but I will probably be taking my buddie's aluminum to the derby, although it has had some trouble trolling really slow. maybe i'll take my electric off the kayak and use that. Going to use downriggers again too, sure to get some strange looks from some folks. Last year I heard someone in the crowd say "Somebody out there was using full salmon gear!" Which I wasn't, except for the downriggers and 12 lb balls lol. Although I have heard that you can catch them on salmon gear, and i did get one on the pink squirt so who knows.

I have only fished Elk a few times and still trying to figure it out but ignore the Downrigger shouts as there is a lack of understanding coming from most. Point is to get your lure or fly into the depth you feel is correct. There are lots of guys who fish fly on a rigger or even just a worm. You don't need to have heavy gear, just a great way to get your message to the reader where they are so to speak.

Lots of guys on Cowichan use riggers and are not all that deep just deeper than a fly line is taking you.

If I am hearing Rendraw and Kunni correctly it sounds like the fish are at the top going fast, down low going slow, in the middle going south and suspended going north. Don't bother with Rapalas or egg sucking leeches and for sure they won't touch a worm. I think the Wind, Rain and Snow and Hail may be very bad and suggest most people stay home so as not to ruin their work weeks with bad colds because the fish are not bitting.

Besides my kids have a new secret weapon that will work for sure this year!!! Far better than last years DUD that turned out to be completely ineffective.

Good luck, James

If I am hearing Rendraw and Kunni correctly it sounds like the fish are at the top going fast, down low going slow, in the middle going south and suspended going north. Don't bother with Rapalas or egg sucking leeches and for sure they won't touch a worm. I think the Wind, Rain and Snow and Hail may be very bad and suggest most people stay home so as not to ruin their work weeks with bad colds because the fish are not bitting.

Besides my kids have a new secret weapon that will work for sure this year!!! Far better than last years DUD that turned out to be completely ineffective.

Good luck, James

ROFL

Don't forget the shallow fish are on the bottom and the deep fish are on the surface, or is it the other way around? But seriously the weather does look like it might be a little rough! :mad:

islander55, theres no one chironomid that is best for this time of year. I pumped a few fish on the weekend, and saw what they were eating. Unless your fishing in super shallow water under 15 ft, you will want some full sinking line without the indicator. The sinking line technique is called a deep line chironomid fishing. I was skunked 5 times before I caught my first fish on a chironomid, thats over 24hours. You have to put in the time, but once you figure out the chironomids you can get some huge fish. A guy got a 9.4lber!! out of elk fishing chironomids.

kunni

Back