Book: Salmon Without Rivers

P

Pablo2079

I checked this book from the library and am more than half way through. It's covers the history of the Pacific Salmon.... from the mid-1800's on. Covers the whole story... from the impacts of the California Gold Rush.. through logging and the canneries. It also covers the government's response (mostly U.S. State and Federal) and it's attempt to regulate. I believe it will continue through to present day (at least up to '99, when published). (Haven't finished it yet.)

I highly recommend this book to anyone that would like to dig a little deeper to find out how we got to where we are.. it's VERY sobering and sad... but a story that must be told.

Author: Jim Lichatowich
Publisher: Island Press

Definitely a great book. I also highly recommend it. The point that came across most powerfully to me is the folly in believing that we can have healthy runs of salmon without a healthy freshwater and marine ecosystemsHe also makes it clear that salmon, although a highly resilient species, is dependent upon a chain of environmental and ecological conditions. That chain is only as strong as the weakest link and there is not much point fixing only one link and failing to address all the links.

It's also interesting to read the historical comparisons between the Fraser and Columbia.... We really are fortunate that the decision was made not to put a dam on the mainsteam of Fraser.

The history of logging and mining dams on the Fraser tributaries is very telling. The author brings to light one case where a mine had closed but its dam remained in place for over 10 years afterward. This dam alone blocked off 60km of prime Sockeye spawning areas.

Back