Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

Ok figured I might as well chime in. I built this boat after searching for a good used boat for a couple of years to replace my last Hourston.
I have twins that are now 2 1/2, so I needed a boat that was fast (windows of fishing opportunity are limited with twins!), easy to handle, easy to launch, and didn’t take up my whole driveway. After looking at boat after boat with soft floors and delaminated transomes, I finally found this Hourston that had been garage kept in Kelowna and only used on the lake. The original 70 Merc looked like it had just rolled off the showroom floor.

I decided this would fit most of my needs, and after stripping the boat down and selling everything that was on it, the hull cost me $1200. After that, I had a friend that’s an aluminum boat builder put a bow tank, fish locker, and Radar arch on it, had a custom canvass made up, new power, rewired, waxed it up and I essentially had a brand new boat for significantly less than buying a new double eagle off the lot would cost. So yes, some are surprised that someone would be willing to spend that kind of money on a “old boat”, but for me it was more of a fun project and I wanted piece of mind knowing everything was brand new and under warranty. So for anyone considering spending $50k+ on a brand new double eagle, this is a good deal to them. And I know new double eagle 176’s are selling off dealer lots all summer.

Boat has 200 hours on the main and 136 on the kicker. My reason for selling is I have a 3 rd kid now and have my eye on another larger hull that I will he doing the same thing to.

Ok figured I might as well chime in. I built this boat after searching for a good used boat for a couple of years to replace my last Hourston.
I have twins that are now 2 1/2, so I needed a boat that was fast (windows of fishing opportunity are limited with twins!), easy to handle, easy to launch, and didn’t take up my whole driveway. After looking at boat after boat with soft floors and delaminated transomes, I finally found this Hourston that had been garage kept in Kelowna and only used on the lake. The original 70 Merc looked like it had just rolled off the showroom floor.

I decided this would fit most of my needs, and after stripping the boat down and selling everything that was on it, the hull cost me $1200. After that, I had a friend that’s an aluminum boat builder put a bow tank, fish locker, and Radar arch on it, had a custom canvass made up, new power, rewired, waxed it up and I essentially had a brand new boat for significantly less than buying a new double eagle off the lot would cost. So yes, some are surprised that someone would be willing to spend that kind of money on a “old boat”, but for me it was more of a fun project and I wanted piece of mind knowing everything was brand new and under warranty. So for anyone considering spending $50k+ on a brand new double eagle, this is a good deal to them. And I know new double eagle 176’s are selling off dealer lots all summer.

Boat has 200 hours on the main and 136 on the kicker. My reason for selling is I have a 3 rd kid now and have my eye on another larger hull that I will he doing the same thing to.
Fun project, bad investment lol

Whoever thinks hes getting a good return on investment on a boat needs to give his head a shake lol, all it is expensive hobby

Agreed!!

Last edited:
https://www.verusauctions.com/Listing/Details/390332/1999-Grady-White-228-Seafarer
Was bidding on this for my next project but I don’t think the hull is worth much more than $15k

I’d be into it for $50k by the time the dust settled with new power. Unless someone has a mint 300hp or twins they want to sell for cheap!

Yeah and paying taxes on a 15k+ hull and trailer would hurt, at least a backyard Hourston you could negotiate around the tax man. Some nice Grady’s complete in the US you could pick for 50 and enjoy a nice southern holiday picking it up.

Yeah and paying taxes on a 15k+ hull and trailer would hurt, at least a backyard Hourston you could negotiate around the tax man. Some nice Grady’s complete in the US you could pick for 50 and enjoy a nice southern holiday picking it up.
I wonder how the anchor roller on the bow and the trailer are messed up. And what looks like a crack in the cockpit vinyl enclosure. I picture Someone coming in hot on the trailer and smashing their head through the vinyl haha

Back