Best Inexpensive Binoculars.

eaglemaniac

Unfortunately I dropped my binoculars on the floor and now there out of wack. They were 10x42s. I'm not looking for Nikon or the sort, just a reasonably priced all purpose set for boating, sight seeing etc. Any suggestions out there. Thanks eman,;)

Do you not want Nikons or something of that calibre?

I have a set of Bushnell Buckhorns which are in that $140ish range and they are great for the water. 12x50, rubber coated and water/fog proof.

Are you wanting cheaper?

Nikon and Bushnell also make some decent travel size ones for under $100.

Thanks for the replies Gents. I'm particularly interested in the Leupold Rogues, just wondering if 8x25s are sufficient for my needs. Price seems fair though. Thanks eman;)

I must agree with you Dogbreath. I had a set of 7x35s that looked better then a 10x42s I had. Thanks for your input. eman;)

Look at Vortex Optics. Best warranty in the business. You will find a good pair of binoculars for a good price. Then when you drop them again, send them in for repair or a new one. I have a few different ones and they are good quality.

Oly

Point to ponder regarding binos...the second number is the objective lens in mm, the first is the magnification.

The second number divided by the first, therefore, gives you the exit pupil diameter in mm, which tells you quite a bit about the amount of light they'll make available to your eye.

An adult human pupil probably won't dilate much more than 7mm, which is why you've probably never seen anything bigger than 7x50, which are great for scanning and light gathering.

If you're always looking during the day, 7x35 is probably pretty good. Most people can't stabilize much more than 7-8 power of magnification, so for most people, increasing the magnification doesn't really improve the view that much, it just narrows the field of vision. My good binos are 8.5x56mm because I happen to be pretty good at holding very still but you'll notice the ratio of 56/8.5 is pretty close to 50/7.

Anyway that's just general commentary on binoculars, but potentially food for thought. I like a lot of light gathering power just in case I'm using them at dawn or dusk, myself.

The best source on binos I can think of offhand is the Cornell department of ornithology.

I use Nikon ATBs but I have dealt extensively with Vortex on a professional level and the description of their warranty is accurate. If there's something wrong with a Vortex anything they'll replace it on the spot. I use a Vortex optic as a reference optic for work, actually. I'm not an expert on optics but I do have to use them a lot.

I don't know what the Nikon warranty is like.

Another + for vortex, bought my 10x50 diamondbacks on Amazon.ca for $285 on sale. Very nice binos for the price...

I hunt with Leupold cascades and my buddy hunts with Vortex diamondbacks,
I cant tell the difference, if anything the leupolds may gather a slight bit more light

I've looked through tons of binoculars without paying much attention. Sometimes they're good, other times not so much.
Have to admit though that I was shocked how much better $1000+ Leica or Swarovski binoculars really are. I didn't realize how good they can really get.
I understand this isn't helpful for the title of this thread, besides maybe reinforcing the old saying we all know, "you get what you pay for"

Back