Beautiful Dark Red Chinook.

walleyes

Crew Member
Just getting a couple fillets ready for supper and I have a question I want to throw out there. After reading a few comments on here over the last while about bleeding fish we did just that this summer. As we put out fish in the hold we cut the gill plate and bled them out. Now as we cleaned the fish this season a lot of the Chinook were un real in color such a dark, dark red Coho looking in meat colour, very unusual for Chinook colouring. Not all were like this but quite a few. Just looking for some feed back, was this do to bleeding or were there others that saw this colouring this summer.

Attachments

• IMG_3619.JPG
    IMG_3619.JPG
    337.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3620.JPG
    IMG_3620.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 110
looks great!! not bleeding usually looks like small purple bruises along backbone line.
i cold smoke the deep reds i get.

Ok thanks. I was quite sure it was just genetics as well but as we caught quite a few that were like this this summer. I would say almost half of our 16 Chinooks were quite red with maybe a half dozen deep red like this one which is unusual for that time of year I thought maybe it was something to do with the bleeding.

Thx again for the feed back.

we had a few as well like that, color was unbelievable

Just getting a couple fillets ready for supper and I have a question I want to throw out there. After reading a few comments on here over the last while about bleeding fish we did just that this summer. As we put out fish in the hold we cut the gill plate and bled them out. Now as we cleaned the fish this season a lot of the Chinook were un real in color such a dark, dark red Coho looking in meat colour, very unusual for Chinook colouring. Not all were like this but quite a few. Just looking for some feed back, was this do to bleeding or were there others that saw this colouring this summer.

Yes saw same coloring, and same area as you. Mostly on the teen size fish. I did the same with bleeding them now wouldn't go back.

April / May hatchery marked chinooks caught off gulf islands were that colour. Most in the 10 lb range.

They were plentiful.

Back