Barkley Sound Anchovy

Bugs

Hello,

Many of you guys have heard about the big increase in abundance of anchovy around Howe Sound in the past two years. I know that in some years there are anchovy in Barkley Sound. Does anyone have any sense of trends in Anchovy on the west coast. Have you seen them? Are there more or less than there used to be? I would be interested to know what people have seen

Cheers

Will

The huge number of Anchovies may have been a result of El Nino, which is now weakening, so maybe they will not be back next year in the same numbers.

“These are phenomenal numbers,” Jeff Marliave, vice-president of marine science at the Vancouver Aquarium told the Vancouver Sun in August. “It sounds like they are super abundant.”
Marliave told the Sun that the abundance of the tiny fish was likely a result of a warm El Niño year and good news for species such as dolphins and squid, which eat them.

And from a DFO publication on them

"It is probable that during warm years, northern anchovy remain in British Columbia and spawn in Canadian waters the following spring. Such activities might coincide with ElNiño events"

i dont buy any until i see the size of chovie in bellies of salmon.. last year i was cutting chovies in half then brining them to fit in the smallest holder possible..

I buy 4 or 5 cases of 6" for summer Chinook and will use 5 1/2 for fall coho and winter fishing. Ponk year coming up so more than likely 5 cases this year.

Back