Auxiliary steering

W

wesley

Hi guys. Have a 40 and a 9.9 hp ob motor and i want to use the 9.9
as a kikker. Now has anybody have any idea how this is done.
Have a bracket to install it on the side of the boat. Was told
to mount them together that means the 40 would be off center would
that effect the boat for what ever? Cant get to the boat
for a week so cant messure the stern part were it is hollod out
were the 40 sits now. There is extra room but how much? But if so
is that a good idea? Anyway i still would need the auxiliary
bracket and bar. geeeez am i making any sence here?
All in All I would appreciate your knowledge /
Wesley :)

I use this system from Panther Marine http://www.cabelas.com/p-0000930.shtml and it works like a charm off my Yami 115 to a 8hp Johnson kicker. No need to be mounting your main engine off center as you can cut the bar to whatever length you want or make a bend for a custom fit. It comes in stainless and has lasted for several years on two of my boats. It's also the least expensive setup going for this application. Here's a picture of it setup on my old Springbok with 25hp main to a 4hp kicker, in this case I had to leave the bar long as my kicker wouldnt work as well on the other side:

boatpics021.jpg

Here's an interesting link for the same setup on a whaler with some great pictures. http://users.sisqtel.net/jkriz/Outrage/Kicker/

Hey Wesley , make sure your main engine is on center.Your performance will be effected if you don't. Have a walk around a marina in your are and check out the different configs. Make sure your kicker is mounted high enough so it doesn't drag through the water when you are on plane.

Post a few pics , lots of people on this board willing to help out.

beemer

i went with the Panther setup as well.I've been pretty happy with it so far.Buy the stainless version and not the galvanized.It's worth the extra $$$$.
Dave

Ive made all my brackets from scratch over the years its really not that hard to do a bit of alum and a vise a bit of measuring can be done in a couple of hours, Just did a system up for jimbobs boat as well when we put a hydrolic lift on for his kicker,
If you are in the vic area call me and you can drop by and see how we have done it.

Good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I have been using a Panther T-4 for the last couple of years. It is independent of the main, and features either wired or remote (I have both set up) control. The advantage is I can deal with riggers or net and maintain steering without having anyone at the wheel. I really like it, and you may find it worth a look.

To much water, too little time

I got the same SS Panther type steering connector. My problem is the rattling noise from the ball joint quick connection due to the vibration of the kicker (4 stroke 9.9 Yammy). Any ideas from anyone on how to dampen this irritating vibration noise?

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Sure do fuel line!!!! what ever size it is to go over the ball 1/4" or 5/16 etc cut your self a homemade rubber washer to what ever thickness so it fits nice and tight. slip it over the ball and add some good marine grease and it will last a long time as the belts in that type of rubber really stands up.

Good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Back