Area 29-6 and 29-9

Peahead

It appears the trollers are fishing in 29-9 and 29-6. Seems to contradict trying to reduce impacts for the SRKW'S?

I don't think they'd be in 29-9 as even that outside border of 29-9 is along the shallows. 29-6 for sure though as most of 29-6 is out into the deeps....

Realize that the sporties ( lower priority on socs) were also free to go into 29-6 as of August 1st and fish socs, right in time for the Soc opening. That apparently was done to give sporties some more opportunity for soc fishing (especially for those fishers coming out of southern areas like Canoe Pass) This all despite SRKW management measures for that area that had it closed for fishing prior to Aug 1st. At the SRKW public meetings with SFAB this spring this was something that SFAB/SFAC agreed to request for DFO to consider for 29-6.

So we are good to fish 29-6... in front of the Coal ship as long as we release all Chinook?

Uumm .... You might want want to open the link I posted for you after you asked this same question earlier in the reports thread (post #2817) - takes you directly to your answer and saves you the hassle of searching through FN's

As promised from the reports thread here is the map showing the Fraser Mouth (29-10; 9; 7; 6 ). I posted the link to it but it seems many either weren't opening it or had issues finding it in the link. The regs for each sub area are listed below. What is important however is to always make sure Fisheries Notices (FN's) for your area are read because any regulation can be amended or changed at any time and the only way your going to get up to date info is via the Fisheries Notices. This map was provided via a link in FN0666 which came out back on July 30th. The reg began June 1st so this map may have been provided earlier too. As far as I have seen there has been no Fisheries Notice that has come out since that date to amend what this map states. The end date for those regs is September 30th so there will either be a Fisheries Notice to change those for October or if no Fisheries Notice comes out then the regs below will become expired. The closures are in place apparently to both provide for SRKW foraging area and protect Fraser River Chinook stocks of concern.

fraser-eng.jpg

Map of closures for the Mouth of the Fraser River
June 1 to Sept. 30: Recreational salmon fishing closure in Subareas 29-7, 29-9 & 29-10.
June 1 to July 31: Recreational and commercial salmon fishing closure in Subarea 29-6.
Aug.1 to Sept. 30: Recreational and commercial chinook non-retention in Subarea 29-6.

Last edited:
Back