another poacher

More and more I am seeing out of province/country boats fishing every day for weeks on end. It's not difficult to count their catch during the day and simply do some math. Some times they are as brazen to make an call on the VHF stating to bring in what ever they have because the women have the pressure cookers ready to go. You can watch 4 or 5 boats reel up and head off and return an hour or less later.
Field canning is totally illegal now and should be reported via the rat line

I’m an out of province property owner and pretty sure I buy the same federal Saltwater licence that you do and therefore follow the same rules? Not sure what your getting at?

What he is getting at is that The rules are different if You are not at your "ordinary Place of Residence" ie: Address on your drivers licence, Income Tax Return, Vehicle Registration etc. If you are not at that address, You can only be in possession of two days limit. Weather you own the place you are temporarily at or not is irrelevant, It is still a Temporary place and NOT your "Ordinary Residence" If you have more than your possession limit at that temporary residence, You are in Violation.
A person can only have one Ordinary Residence.

CRGreg

What he is getting at is that The rules are different if You are not at your "ordinary Place of Residence" ie: Address on your drivers licence, Income Tax Return, Vehicle Registration etc. If you are not at that address, You can only be in possession of two days limit. Weather you own the place you are temporarily at or not is irrelevant, It is still a Temporary place and NOT your "Ordinary Residence" If you have more than your possession limit at that temporary residence, You are in Violation.
A person can only have one Ordinary Residence.

CRGreg

Yes I get what he is saying. However that doesn’t necessarily apply to just out of province owners. I know where I have my place I am the only out of province owner that is a avid fishermen and the rest have their main residence either on the Island or lower mainland. I can tell you without a doubt that the weekend warriors abuse the system going back to their main residence after the weekends far more from my experience. My place has a fridge/freezer combo and I don’t have a huge separate walk in freezer to poach away all summer. Sounds like he knows who the players are and maybe should deal with them through proper channels and not assume all second property owners are abusing it...imo

I'm a local with a floating cabin in Barclay sound and a secondary residence in Bamfield. My main residence is not at either location, I need to head home every couple days in order to " re-set the counters" sos to speak. I met one couple in Bamfield that actually travel back to their residence once they get their possession limits. Not everyone is guilty but many are,and some maybe even oblivious to the law. Ratting is not in my nature and doing such a thing goes against everything I believe in. If a simpleton such as myself can see it DFO must either be turning a blind eye or they really are under qualified for their jobs..

Back