Another Fed omnibus ‘budget’ bill that would put our fish & coastlines at risk!

Whole in the Water

Looks like Harper and his cronies are at it again!

The federal government has done it again. Canadians are facing another omnibus ‘budget’ bill that would put our fish, our coastlines and our democracy at risk. I am asking you to write a letter to Minister Oliver and your MP calling for them to stand up for the environment and democracy and reject those harmful amendments today. <o:p></o:p>
In October, Finance Minister Joe Oliver tabled Bill C-43, the Economic Action Plan 2014 Act, No. 2. Buried among its nearly 500 pages are changes to the Canada Marine Act that would allow port lands to be exempted from federal legal protection of terrestrial species at risk, as well as from federal environmental reviews.<o:p></o:p>
Stand up for strong federal environmental laws today.<o:p></o:p>
The amendments would give Cabinet broad, sweeping powers to hand over control of Canada’s marine ports to any person, including provincial governments or even industry itself. They would also let any person – including industry – write the rules for reviewing activities in ports, limit who can have a say, and even adjudicate disputes over those activities.<o:p></o:p>
I don’t know about you, but my Canada includes waters rich with fish and a coastline teeming with life. My Canada includes a robust democracy in which citizens have a say in projects that affect them. My Canada has strong federal environmental laws to protect the things I care about most, like clean water, wild spaces and my ability to participate in reviews of projects that put those values at risk.<o:p></o:p>
Bill C-43 threatens those values, and I urge you to take action. Write a letter to Minister Oliver and your MP today calling for them to strike out the harmful amendments to the Canada Marine Act proposed in Bill C-43. But please don’t delay: the Bill could be passed as early as next week.<o:p></o:p>
For more information, read the legal backgrounder to the changes to the Canada Marine Act in Bill C-43 by the West Coast Environmental Law Association. You can learn more about these changes, as well as the 2012 gutting of Canada’s environmental laws by Bills C-38 and C-45, at envirolawsmatter.ca. Then add your voice to thousands of others by writing a letter to Minister Oliver and your MP today.

Sincerely,

Anna Johnston, West Coast Environmental Law Association

p.s. We need your voice to help stop the rollbacks of Canada’s environmental laws. Tell the federal government you demand strong environmental laws to protect our communities, our democracy and our environment.
Sign our petition to save Canada’s environmental laws, and tell the government the environment – and your voice – matter.

Save Canada's Environmental Laws
http://www.envirolawsmatter.ca/

Save Canada's Environmental Laws · Vancouver, BC V6J 2B3, Canada
This email was sent to
candpmiller@shaw.ca. To stop receiving emails, click here.
You can also keep up with Save Canada's Environmental Laws on
Twitter or Facebook.

Wonderful Christmas gift to the Canadian people.

Sadly, I think Howdy Doody will survive with a minority government.

Petition signed and for s#@ts and giggles I think I'll waste some time writing Duncan.

Looks like Harper and the oil companies will have an easier access to our ports if this goes through. Time to sign the petition and write your MP's.

Back