Pinniped Developments

Hopefully the Department actions the recommendations and doesn't ignore them until the dust settles. Otherwise this process has been a tremendous waste of considerable talent and financial resources to conduct a thorough investigation of this rather complicated issue.

We have to look further than just seals as the cause of the decline. Studies indicate that the cute little buggers are in fact a major contributing factor in the species decline. The government should have the balls to cull the cute little boogers ( and sealions too ) to bring back balance. However, a single "solution " will not be acceptable to the biggest block of voters in Canada. I didnt see a single word in the news report about gill nets ... I can personally attest to the fact that even "short sets" during the chum fishery still kill steelies. And revival tanks in the salt or freshwater for gillnets, or seines are a band aid approach when stressing steelies, coho and chinook . The truth ( my truth) is that the decisionmakers really dont give a flying f##k about these magnificent fish. There are lots more issues than seals. ( oh crap-- I almost mentioned climate change-- me bad) ?

Back