anchor set up

Matt16

20' cuddy cabin. We presently have a 13 lbs Rocna, 20' of G3 1/4 chain, 120' or rope for a total of 140' of rode. WWe also have 400' of nylon stern tie rope. What do you run as an anchor for overnight trips? e'd like to do more over night trips and stay in tight anchorages where vessels are already anchored. Should I buy more chain?

Really depends on the depth, and secondarily the weather and holding ground, Matt. Sounds like you should have lots of scope w your set-up, tho. Typically you should have min ~3 times the depth out. If there is current & wind effects - maybe 4+ times. Sometimes in tight anchorages - having 2 anchors is an asset - 1 bow & 1 stern. Keeps you from swinging around on tide changes.

and speaking of tides - forgive me for mentioning things you and others on this forum likely already know - know what height/phase of tide you are at. @ high tide - you have more depth under you - and that could be a problem when the tide drops and you are in shallower depths. If you are @ low tide - you will need to remember to put more line out before it rises so that you maintain enough scope on your anchor.

And where the tide moves and what direction it moves may alter how & where you set your anchor. Sometimes in some anchorages - a change in wind velocity can mean a change in wind direction as well. That can rip you off your anchor . Set your anchor alarm on your GPS before you head to bed for the nite.

Last edited:
20' cuddy cabin. We presently have a 13 lbs Rocna, 20' of G3 1/4 chain, 120' or rope for a total of 140' of rode. WWe also have 400' of nylon stern tie rope. What do you run as an anchor for overnight trips? e'd like to do more over night trips and stay in tight anchorages where vessels are already anchored. Should I buy more chain?
There is real science to anchoring successfully. Ask what the anchorage is like. Is it protected from the prevailing wind? What's the depth? What's the tide range? What's the weather forecast? Can you get enough swinging room? What's the bottom like? A packed mud or sand bottom is preferred.

Then concern yourself with scope. Multiply the depth of the water by 5 to 7 (depending on the bottom) for calm conditions overnight . For example, if the water depth is 'x' feet, then we will multiply 'x' feet by 5 to 7 to get the amount of anchor line to put out. For example, the depth of water = 17 feet. Water to deck is 3 feet. So, the anchor line should be 5 × 20 to 7 × 20 feet, i.e., 100 to 140 feet.

There are many considerations but your anchor set-up with 1/2" nylon rode is likely okay for shallow anchoring, in calm conditions, with a limited tidal range, if you set the anchor properly.

The length of stern line is entirely dependent on the anchorage but you should be able to make 400 feet work. Always set your bow anchor properly before tying off the stern.

Useful stuff, thanks. We've successfully anchored overnight, in wind using about 1:5 scope so far. Seems like other boats around us are using substantially shorter scopes, but we've also seen them drag. With our current setup, we're limited to ~30' depths (at high tide) or so. We're selective about where we anchor, but so are other boats. One advantage of a small powerboat is that we can anchor in shallower water compared to sailboats. I'd like to increase the capability of our ground tackle to suit common conditions in the Howe Sound to Desolation Sound area. Given the prevalence of deep fjords, we're unduly limited by our current set up.

I'm thinking maybe buying 60' of 1/4 chain and joining that to 200' of nylon. Am I barking up the right tree?

Useful stuff, thanks. We've successfully anchored overnight, in wind using about 1:5 scope so far... Given the prevalence of deep fjords, we're unduly limited by our current set up.

I'm thinking maybe buying 60' of 1/4 chain and joining that to 200' of nylon. Am I barking up the right tree?
Chain provides a bit of weight (as as kellet would), holding the anchor down and also eliminates abrasion damage to the rode near the anchor. 20' or so is fine. However, nylon is quite elastic and that provides surge protection in marginal conditions. More scope is always more secure if the anchorage allows it. I live near Desolation Sound and it offers many anchorages but the deep fjords such as up Agammemnon Channel are not suitable because of depth, bottom and winds.

More chain is always better. 3:1 scope on all chain is fine. For your set up 60' chain and 200' of rope is fine. Scope is measured from bow roller to bottom.

Seems like you already know you need more rode. The premade chain/rope set ups are usually 50ft chain then 120,200,250,300ft of rope. Ronca anchors are great. I’ve always thought you need to have your anchor set up for the storm that you didn’t know was coming. Heavier, more rope/chain then day anchoring. Dual stern ties are really nice too. Makes for a stable night on the hook.
As far as tight moorage go it’s always nice to ask where other anchors are. Nobody likes being laid across

It's very important that everyone in an anchorage follow the same anchoring practices. You don't want stern tied (shore or anchor) mixed with swinging bow anchored boats. One will swing, the other won't and they may collide.

For sure. Finding enough sheltered 10-25' anchorages to make 140' work, but don't want to get caught out when we can't, thus the desire for a more secure purchase on the seabed.

Point taken about conforming to the local anchoring strategy.

Back