Anchor for R21 Ranger Tug

Newf

Crew Member
New to the forum and looking for some input on using the anchor/ring retrieval system when anchored for Hali's on my 21 ft Ranger Tug. Currently I just drift but have been told that having one of these anchor systems is the way to go. The boat is diesel powered with max speed of 9.5kts. Would the limited speed be an issue with retrieving the anchor? Any other issues or concerns that would deter me from getting this type of system? Don't want to waste the money if this is not a good idea for my type of boat.. Any input would be greatly appreciated..

Don't know about the halibut setup but welcome to the forum. Nice boat. What year is it?

heres a good video showing the basics.

Thanks, I saw this video a couple of days ago. My concern was if I could easily pull the anchor rope and chain through the ring when retrieving. Didn't know if you needed a speed faster than I can do.. Maybe I'll pop in and discuss with this guy from Trotac.

i probably pull my anchor at around 10-15mph, faster isnt always better
could try using two scotchmans for extra drag if speed is an issue

Last edited:
I can't see a problem with 9.5 kts at all........you don't need to go that fast even. Your going to have the torque to break your anchor free and the rest is just getting it up to your Scotsman.

GnB

i probably pull my anchor at around 10-15mph, faster isnt always better
could try using two scotchmans for extra drag if speed is an issue
Agreed, I use a larger scotsman and it works great, never checked speed but I doubt its over 10MPH

Make sure you attach your chain to the base of the anchor and zap strap it to the top as shown in the video (very important) and you shouldn't have any trouble.If your in Victoria I'd be happy to show you how to do it safely anytime.Ray

New to the forum and looking for some input on using the anchor/ring retrieval system when anchored for Hali's on my 21 ft Ranger Tug. Currently I just drift but have been told that having one of these anchor systems is the way to go. The boat is diesel powered with max speed of 9.5kts. Would the limited speed be an issue with retrieving the anchor? Any other issues or concerns that would deter me from getting this type of system? Don't want to waste the money if this is not a good idea for my type of boat.. Any input would be greatly appreciated..

Your boat should pull an anchor just fine. I usually pull my anchor around 5 or 6 miles per hour, sometime less, but there no need to go above this speed. You should go with someone who is very experienced before attempting to anchor on your own. I am moored at Cheanuh Marina and could show you if you will be launching or mooring there.
...Rob

I think the very best way to figure things out is to take someone who has an anchor setup already out for a fish in your boat. Use their system (assuming it is appropriate for you boat as well) and see if everything goes smoothly. That will tell you a lot, and you can get to see how to anchor and retrieve safely. The fellow in the video, Chris, took me out the first time and showed me the ropes (no pun intended). I learned a lot in that first trip and I have taught other boaters how to do it safely based on Chris' advice and guidance.

Met with Chris at Trotac and have ordered a system. (it's only money right)..Will post how it works with my boat..Thanks for the comments and thanks Rayvon and Rob H for offers to show me how to use it. A guy at the Esquimalt Anglers Association said he would go with me for a couple of practice runs when I get it so if that falls through I may take one of you up on your offer. Thanks again..

Back