60hp Evinrude won’t start

Bearded wonder

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a early 90’s Evinrude 60hp. I took it to the lake twice this year and it ran great. Went to go out on the ocean to fish couple days ago and that’s when died. It started and idled fine when I checked the motor at my place before leaving.
Launched the boat and it started fine, had a couple little hiccups pulling away from dock but chalked it up to very low speed in gear. Got away from the docks and went to gun it, boat got to about quarter speed it that’s it, even with full throttle. Rpms didn’t get very high it seemed. Back off throttle and it stalled. Would then only start with some throttle when in neutral and stall when putting into gear. Then proceed to turn over but not fire up. Had to use kicker to get back to dock .
To me it seems like it’s a fuel issue.
Any ideas on where to start would be greatly appreciated. Not a fun way for first trip out of the year with my son.

Thanks

Check the simple things first. Fuel line kinked 0r ball collapse? Fuel line not completely connected somewhere. If aux tank is vent open? Are fuel filters plugged up? And you have lots of fuel correct? If nothing is obvious you can swap a diff aux gas tank in with fresh fuel and try that.

Like Tightlines22 said check the simple things first. Check the throttle cable. My shift cable rotted off once. I launched my boat, put it in reverse to leave the dock and when I shifted to neutral the boat kept going backwards. These things always seem to happen in the spring after the boat has been sitting.

Drain your crab bowls while your in there, might be water built up in there and its quick and easy.

With those 3 cylinder motors if one cylinder isn't firing properly it won't idle or have much power. First thing to check is compression. If all 3 are about the same then move on to checking spark on each cylinder. (because it is the easiest to do and involves taking nothing apart) Could be as simple as a bad coil, lead or spark plug. Then move onto carbs if spark is ok.

Just like profisher said I would do a compression test first before fooling around with fuel related stuff, those old johnson/evinrude products were bad for having dead holes in them after a certain amount of time. My old 15' double eagle had a 70hp evinrude that it crapped the bed exactly like yours and it was a dead hole pretty much, only having 30 psi in #2 cylinder.

So I was able to spend an hour or do tonight working on it. Bought new fuel filter, ball, and some new line( been years since they have been replaced). Installed it all and still same result. Decided to unhook fuel line from aluminum tank and put it in a bucket of gas and after s few pumps...gas!
So now I determine that it’s my aluminum tank that has an air leak...correct?
And if so can I repair an air leak Once I find it?

Thanks again for all the help

Could be a plugged vent to the tank. Usually the fitting at the hull end of the vent hose that gets clogged up with salt from water spray. I'm assuming the aluminum tank you refer to is a built in tank.

Could be a plugged vent to the tank. Usually the fitting at the hull end of the vent hose that gets clogged up with salt from water spray. I'm assuming the aluminum tank you refer to is a built in tank.

Yes it is a built in tank. My father in-law did drain it, remove it, and cleaned it in the spring to repair some fibreglass. Maybe it got knocked around

Sounds like the pick up broke off. Also the barb fitting usually has a check ball inside. At the tank. These fail all the time.

Found the issue. Faulty anti-syphon valve at the tank. Replaced it along with some new fuel lines. And fired up first try.
Thanks again guys for all your tips.

AA13147A-90E6-4A68-BC70-FB9E01C7C5BB.jpeg Sorry but have another question. So I fired up my motor to check that I fixed my fuel issue and now noticed water steaming out of this nozzle. Never seen this happen before. Any ideas on what this is called. And it’s not the pee hose as the motor was peeing water.

Outboards with thermostats have bypass hoses to reroute water while warming up. This might be a situation with the hose missing. Possibly it wasn't clamped on and popped off either recently when you fired it up or possibly long ago. I would look for another similiar connection possibly up higher. Then connect a hose between the two.

Outboards with thermostats have bypass hoses to reroute water while warming up. This might be a situation with the hose missing. Possibly it wasn't clamped on and popped off either recently when you fired it up or possibly long ago. I would look for another similiar connection possibly up higher. Then connect a hose between the two.
Awesome thanks. There is a similar connection at the top of the exhaust manifold. It is the hose that pees out water through the exterior cover. My guess is the two hoses ‘t’ together. And at some point in time someone removed the hose. Very confusing

So I have found answers. A random google search found a OMC service bulletin from 1994 showing a modification to do. That lower nozzle was supposed to be removed and plugged, And then an upper nozzle to be tapped in. So on my motor they tapped in the new nozzle connected the pee hose, but never properly plugged the bottom. Off to remove that old plastic nozzle and put in a plug.

Back