23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
just run it to a filter with multi outlets on the filter body, shut off for each.. my racor has one inlet, three outlets.

Since we are on the topic...
-Which Racor filter to buy for twin 150's or single 300, I guess they go by GPH?
-Is there a redundant 2 canister systems (multi-stage) or is a single canister the norm? fuel filter/water separator
-Is Racor one of the better manufacturers?
-Is only one sophin enough to supply twins, do I need the 2 supplies?

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/racor--fuel-filter-indicator-gauge--8720229?recordNum=58

Last edited:
What about one with a built in primer pump?? Anyone using this type or have any feedback on them?5FF5DAE8-51C9-4F4E-BA37-9E9766441115.png

just run it to a filter with multi outlets on the filter body, shut off for each.. my racor has one inlet, three outlets.
That's a good idea which I think work great for a single main and a kicker but for twins you may end up starving them of fuel drawing out of one pick up line.

I spent a lot of time looking at fuel systems at the boat show I didn’t see a single one with a fuel valve at the tank. They all have valves on the filter inlets.
They have 1 one there and one at filter any surveyor will tell you that, but hey if you dont believe me call a surveyor its not my boat, ALL I KNOW is I had to put one on my tank before I could get insured because in case of fire you need to cut the supply from tank.

They have 1 one there and one at filter any surveyor will tell you that, but hey if you dont believe me call a surveyor its not my boat, ALL I KNOW is I had to put one on my tank before I could get insured because in case of fire you need to cut the supply from tank.

Thx Wolf, for the price I will install one for sure, not a big deal to add, I will have a deck plate for access anyways :) thx

Last edited:
Maybe your surveyor required it, but it doesn't seem like its industry standard. I did some reading online and looks like people install them to stop fuel from siphoning out of the tank in case a fitting or hose fails. Seem like a good idea I will add them to my setup aswell.

For twins you should have two pickups with separate fuel systems. If you have a fuel system failure on one side you could still run the other side gives you a bit of redundancy. Pretty sure you mentioned wanting to go Tuna fishing with this boat, if so redundancy never hurts maybe even the option to bypass either filter might be a good idea.

Are you going with 1/4" or 3/8" system? I am going to be going 3/8" for the twin 200 on my boat at least up to the filters after that the fuel system sizing on the engine will dictate the sizing.

Are you planning on installing primer bulbs for each engine? I think I am going to, but again doesn't seem like industry standard as I didn't see a single primer bulb larger outboard installs at the Boat Show.

You mentioned the built in primer in the racor, Don't think I would go for that. I have had a few primers fail on me over time I would like the option to cut it out of the system if its being a problem

It is the standard all the new tin boat builds ive seen have them installed the boats that have passed thru my shop where my buddy does all the rigging I asked him this am, Like i said earlier i really dont give a , I had to do it as per survey and per DOT rules phone them they will know im more then sure. im just a guy who did what was told to make my boat compliant....and made my insurance company happy

Last edited:
another thing to consider with a single filter is gph rating of the filter, and the requirement of the engine's

Does any one have any idea what a Yami/Suzuki 300 or 350's max GPH would be?

I think a 10 micron 60 GPH Racor fuel/water filter will be the ticket but would like to have two outlets one for main and one for kicker, which is the route I am leaning towards... so either have to go with a 30GHH or a 90GPH to get the two ports from the way I read the below charts.

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 5.39.57 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 5.40.15 PM.png

Last edited:
Suzuki says 91 Lph. or 20 imp gallons. max for a 300df
I have seen my flow meter go to 23 gph, but the meter works in u.s. gal.

looks like you are on the right track.

Suzuki says 91 Lph. or 20 imp gallons. max for a 300df
I have seen my flow meter go to 23 gph, but the meter works in u.s. gal.

looks like you are on the right track.

thanks, 23 US gal is like 19 Imp

I would like to have wiggle room if the filter ever got clogged up a bit, so 30 GPH might be a bit tight on the max flow.

I would like to have wiggle room if the filter ever got clogged up a bit,
Thats why you replace every 6 months you will be more then fine ive seen filters so heavy with crap in them from YEARS of not being changed and boat still ran fine its really something you dont need to worry about if you have scheduled maintenance, which I think you will. worry more about that command bridge LOL LOL

Na, two is all I will ever need regardless of motor config, thx

Opt 1 - twins and rotate trolling time
Opt 2 - main with kicker

if you’re adding another anyway add a third. it’s minor and if you decide to plumb into your main later it’s a simple process. imagine trying to add one after the fact with a tank full of gas? not happening

sorry i don’t read to the end before posting. but i’ll add my neighbor just went through this with his brand spanking new Kingfisher. he has twin yammy and they didn’t hookup kicker to main tank, just a directional valve that he had to manually turn every time he wanted to use the kicker. he’s not small and he had to get down on his hands and knees to turn this valve at the stern of the boat under a hatch etc etc. he installed his own supply right to the tank in minutes where there was a spare pickup. why Parker didn’t do that off the bat i don’t know.

Last edited:
Interesting discussion. A friend is interested in a particular hourston which is priced top of the market. It has a racor style strainer that is in the storage locker and is plastic which the surveyor didn't like at all.

Mine is the spin on volvo penta one in the supply line before the pumps and I definitely don't have a fuel shutoff. It would be pretty daring to go near that tank if there was an engine bay fire, I figure.

I do dump the contents when I replace the filter and it always is less than clear. Spares are board and I have never had any fuel issues, knock on wood.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Not allowed to have a clear plastic fuel/water separator filter on a inboard/outboard, only on a outboard

Back