2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Discussion in '2020 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Bben

Bben Member

Epic indeed. What gear were you running? I’m curious but it sounds like anything with a hook would do. Lol. Nice work. .

2. Benham99

Benham99 Member

Yeah ...... everything worked. Flashers were Bon Chovy and I think the other is called green onion. White hoochie ..... Army Truck hoochie ...... Bon Chovy spoon ....... Cookies and Cream spoon and another spoon that the name escapes me (Edit:looked it up .. it was a Herring Aid) were gear we used. I'm pretty sure anything would have got a hit yesterday.

3. Captain PartyMarty

Captain PartyMarty Well-Known Member

In past we used to catch Coho in early June off entrance island that where I would be trying

4. sweettjim

sweettjim Active Member

ive caught keeper coho last couple years off roger Curtis and wolcombe around this time of the year

5. ReelFun

ReelFun Member

Any hints on the area you dropped your traps?

6. hippaisland

hippaisland Well-Known Member

No one in their right mind will give away crab/prawn/ling/hali holes. Guys/gals spend lot of time finding them to begin with in many cases. Get some good bait (save your fish carcasses if you’ve got the freezer space) and try some different areas. It’s always rewarding when you try your own spots away from the usual spots that get carpet bombed. 50-100’ is a good place to start depending on where your dropping. Crabs move pretty quick check them after 2 hours, no love, move em!

CBsqrd and Aces like this.
  7. ReelFun

ReelFun Member

Hah, okay, definitely acknowledged. I was a bit resistant to ask in the first place. I definitely didn't expect gps coordinates, maybe a tip on general area. I'm more than happy to keep putting in the work, we've been getting a few keepers every time we are out, just seems like our spots are drying up a bit..

Thanks for the heads up!

8. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

The mile markers to the bell bouy would be a place to look.

ReelFun likes this.
  9. getbent

getbent Well-Known Member

Those are a little out of the norm I would think with the yellow tail...

10. adanac

adanac Well-Known Member

had a few more on Sunday, could be a sign that the rockfish population is rebounding

Pineapple Express likes this.
  11. sir-vivor

sir-vivor Well-Known Member

Just north of the south arm in 86 feet of water, can't miss lots of traps in the area and a very good spot. Also, just south of the north arm in about 69 feet of water.... You won't be disappointed but watch out lots of thieves travel these areas. Use Chicken it really works for me with a few prawn pellets and anchovies luker oil ... Good luck !

chewy604, Gungho, ReelFun and 2 others like this.
  12. Paravoffka

Paravoffka Member

You're talking about crabs not prans, right? I do crabbing in White Rock, but deraming about catching prawns.

13. sir-vivor

Yup Crabs, oh well maybe help someone else then, tight lines

Paravoffka likes this.
  14. Dixsea

Dixsea Active Member

Fished south side of porlier yesterday down along Galiano. Followed the 130 ft countour and it was on fire. One side we fished 4” cop car and the other side 3” herring aide. 10 to the boat including this beauty. 349AE3F3-F6D6-4F20-9F8F-9567F600B490.jpeg

Paravoffka, Gungho, Original and 21 others like this.
  15. sir-vivor

nice fish Dixsea, yup looks like another we made that we SHOULD have the right to keep but , let it go hopefully the seals don't get it !

Dixsea, Tinny and BCRingo like this.
  16. capman

capman Member

Very nice fish Dixsea. It's a shame we can't keep even one hatchery fish.

Dixsea, Tinny, Limitles and 1 other person like this.
  17. Tinny

Tinny Well-Known Member

A shame and a dereliction of duty by DFO.

Anyways - back to the reports. Went over to Thrasher today. Released three legal sized chinooks along with a half dozen undersized. Tried for a Ling, but no luck today. Had seven undersized lings to the boat but the big boys were either not there or hunkering down with the tides. Was hard to fish (jigging and trolling) as the current was really fast. Ran into a few of those yellow tail rockfish mentioned earlier. First time for me seeing them. 7 legal crabs at North Arm.

ReelFun, prodjsaig, capman and 4 others like this.
  18. Jordan330

Jordan330 New Member

Went to thrasher today as well. Hooked into 23 fish total, in depths of 300ft to 600ft of water. Riggers anywhere between 70ft and 300ft was getting them. Also got 2 nice ling, great day!

19. Dixsea

Dixsea Active Member

Fished south side of porlier yesterday down along Gabriola. Followed the 130 ft count our and it was on fire. One side we fished 4” cop car and the other side 3” herring aide. 10 to the boat including this beauty. View attachment 53537
    Quick pic and he swam away like a champ!

BCRingo and sir-vivor like this.
  20. Gungho

Gungho Member

Okay Dixsea, two pics
    now you're just bragging and I'm so envious ;)

Dixsea likes this.