2020 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Braved the wind to fish in front of the Ukee harbour for an hour on Sunday night. My sister caught her first ever spring, which put up a great fight. Skinny g herring aid was the ticket.

Anyone able to share details on catching squid in the harbour?

It's a mid night show, dock with bright lights on main harbour channel with a glow squid jig. Was a several weeks ago my son was down there he got a bunch made some calamari and froze some for bait. Last night he went sealions were chasing them around which made it tougher. You can see the clouds and singles swimming it's pretty neat, they aren't there all year and come in at various times.

Right on. Thanks for the quick reply. I’ve only been fishing out of ucluelet since July last year so I appreciate the info. Is now a good time to try fishing with live squid off of Wya/flo?

Planning to fish Wednesday- Saturday and wanting to put a game plan together.

Right on. Thanks for the quick reply. I’ve only been fishing out of ucluelet since July last year so I appreciate the info. Is now a good time to try fishing with live squid off of Wya/flo?

Planning to fish Wednesday- Saturday and wanting to put a game plan together.

squid have thinned out May was really good squidding. Red Can seems to be decent fish the tides and bite times as the bite really comes on. But you can pic away though out the rest of the day.

Fished the harbour mouth from 5am - 8:30am. Found a few low teens fish then decided to fish little beach. Nothing for an hour and then right at slack a big spring hammered a herring aid spoon. Pulled a ton of line on two amazing runs then we lost it. Orcas showed up and so we decided to Troll over to red can, the crew threw up a few times and we decided to call it a morning.

So silly question but is there anything worth fishing inside the bay? and what are the chances of the squid being back around mid aug.? Camping with the family at the campground, and I kayak fish. but if I can launch inside the bay for a little evening fishing is it worth it?

So silly question but is there anything worth fishing inside the bay?
In Sept there are Chinook returning to the hatchery.
and what are the chances of the squid being back around mid aug.?
Zero
Camping with the family at the campground, and I kayak fish. but if I can launch inside the bay for a little evening fishing is it worth it?
Launch at Little beach & troll the kelp out near the head of the bay.

There's good opportunities inshore, just need to find the bait. The sound has great days or slow days it's not as consistent as offshore or out front typically. Wya maybe a good option there is swell but it's along the shoreline so not way out. Lighthouse and South bank are pretty close so is Long Beach area. But Red Can, Sail, Great Bear can be good as well. If you want protected waters 100% Swale is worth a go Meares Bluff is another pretty protected area depending on wind direction. Maybe get in to town the day before you go and hang around the fish cleaning station between 1-3pm and see what's going on, most people are happy to share some intel :)

Fished the outside Near the lighthouse today and picked up a mid teens and a bigger fish. Not sure on weight. Army truck hoochie hugging a kelp bed. Intended on releasing but was bleeding from the gills. Grateful to feed friends and family with it.

Attachments

• 3C1B5F7D-E29A-4D4F-8F25-C8D102ECCDC4.jpeg
    3C1B5F7D-E29A-4D4F-8F25-C8D102ECCDC4.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 245
Fished the outside Near the lighthouse today and picked up a mid teens and a bigger fish. Not sure on weight. Army truck hoochie hugging a kelp bed. Intended on releasing but was bleeding from the gills. Grateful to feed friends and family with it.

That’s a beauti fish!
How deep did u get it?

Took the kids for a quick hali fish yesterday left at 9am and back at the dock before noon. Son inlaw never caught a Hali before :) Salmon fishing we didn't bother trying but looked like many did very well yesterday along the shoreline and towards Wya. Lots of squid hanging around again.

View attachment 54505

Nice Hali! We picked up a few springs over 20 at flo between 5-9am. Even had a double header. We dragged close to bottom with white hoochies. The fish we caught were packed full of squid.

Ran offshore for hali at 9:30 and managed one but had to sort through a lot of doggies

Had a decent trip to Ukee. After it stopped raining Friday, the weather and the seas were amazing Sat-Tuesday morning.
Salmon was slow unless you got up early. Today I was at the end of the no wake zone in the dark. Puttered along as the light got better. Got to Flo first. Fish one at 5:00, fish two at 5:10. I never did get the 2nd rod down. Others were arriving and hooking up, but I left what was turning into an epic day. Or it could have died by 7:00 like the other days. The white turd with a bit of yellow and tan spots did better than the white with glow spackles. Lighthouse bank was good for halis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back