Status
Not open for further replies.
Cal Young caught not sure where he was not lieing 2u. He was in that area though. I know one of the boats that was anchored... He even texted me about it. Saw it on the fishing Sooke FB page. Awesome hatchery fish for this time of year.

After 2 unsuccessful trips for hali last week, one with a buddy and the other with my grandson,,, and nothing but dogs, I did the solo thing (social distancing) today off of Pedder. Anchored up around noon and before I had the second rod ready to go the first one was bouncing. Just a little chicken, 15-16 lbs. A couple of nice meals for my son and family none the less. (a strip of salmon belly was the ticket) Straight out from Williams Head, 320ft of water.

Pulled anchor and trolled in the bay for a couple of hours but not even a hit. Nice to see a few boats on the water.

After 2 unsuccessful trips for hali last week, one with a buddy and the other with my grandson,,, and nothing but dogs, I did the solo thing (social distancing) today off of Pedder. Anchored up around noon and before I had the second rod ready to go the first one was bouncing. Just a little chicken, 15-16 lbs. A couple of nice meals for my son and family none the less. (a strip of salmon belly was the ticket) Straight out from Williams Head, 320ft of water.

Pulled anchor and trolled in the bay for a couple of hours but not even a hit. Nice to see a few boats on the water.
Good for you
It definitely takes lot of knowledge and experience to go solo and anchor
My question is how do you retrieve all that rope your self with no problems

Us guides pretty much do it all by ourselves all the time. If I want to speed up the retreval I will get a customer to make sure the rope goes into the tote and flatten it down while I pull the rope in. But doing it all is not difficult just a tad slower.

Good for you
It definitely takes lot of knowledge and experience to go solo and anchor
My question is how do you retrieve all that rope your self with no problems

Hi Ciacione, Since I'm not a guide and with no where near the experience of a guide I wanted something to make it a little easier for myself.

I started a couple of years ago as one of four guys that went out with Roy (Wolf) after I had bought an anchor system from Trotac. I learned the basics from Wolf on that trip and after that would only anchor up when someone else was with me for many trips until I felt comfortable. Being a fairly cautious guy, if I'm going to anchor alone, I chose the very best days with respect to current and wind.

As for retrieving I made a guide that easily and very quickly pins to my Scotty downrigger mount. I've shown the photo on the forum below but here they are again. After I've pulled the anchor I swing fairly wide and bump the boat in and out of gear to provide a bit of slack so you are not pulling the entire rope, chain and float to you,,,,or you could just set yourself up to drift towards it and take your time to pull it in. Note: The guide also helps to keep the chain and anchor from beating up the fibreglass when deploying and retrieving. The best days of course are the ones when you have someone else (my Daughter in this photo) to pull the 600ft for you.

guide 1.jpg guide 2.jpg guide 3.jpg

Drifted off of Pedder for a few hours today. Nada. Was closer in than I normally go as the Boss was with me (first time is about 2 years) and she doesn't like to venture to far from shore. Lots of female crabs in two pots, managed to get 4 nice males.

I was out last week and I didn't get anything, but I hear that there is a couple coming in. If the wind is not to bad this afternoon, I just might go out for a couple of hrs.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I fished out of Sooke Friday. A few other boats were trolling around near me, Secretary Is. area and toward harbour mouth. I only managed one smaller (~3 lbs) hatchery spring that was, of course, released. Had a few knock offs on DR but not much else other than that. Stuck with spoons and fished mostly 5o to 75' on DR. Nice day out there.

Fished Beechy area today. Tried couple hours for coho but just one shaker spring released side of boat. Tried a bit deeper today, 100 to 120 on DRs. Couldn’t find any lingers today but having a rockfish and greenling for supper plus great day on water. Although could have done without the thick fog that rolled in over lunch.

Heading out early From Sooke for our first real trip of the year. Would you turn left or right right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back