2020 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been leaving my traps in the water overnight for 30 years. It’s based on juggling work and family, I really don’t see any real advantage to it, in fact My traps get poached every season, and yes I do feed brother octopus a few easy dinners. Big picture thinking required here, restricting restrictive regulations
is more than a slippery slope. Remember folks we are in this fishing thing together.
Like all regulations if people did what you do or other responsible fishers do there would be no problem. As for advantage, some of those traps are there everyday so they are either staking a claim to the area, or harvesting an awful lot of prawns. Are the traps emptied and relaunched everyday or are they pulling them every couple of days? They never seem to move!

I also balance work and family, but see no need to fish overnight when at best it would save me an hour and a half in soak time on the first set. With a limit of 125 prawns, how long does it take to catch a limit? Big picture thinking is that the limit was reduced by almost half because people were taking to many. I’d suggest that along with your limit you should be able to produce your four traps? Should they be with you, or still fishing once you limit out?

Anyway I think this is more of a problem in urban heavily fished areas, but rather than seeing further cuts to daily limits I’d like to see overnight fishing looked at. You may be following the rules but overnight soaking opens up a lot of ways to abuse the system. Just for instance a guy could head out in the morning prior to work after an overnight soak and take his limit, relaunch and come home from work take his limit and relaunch again etc etc.

Last edited:
I dod
Like all regulations if people did what you do or other responsible fishers do there would be no problem. As for advantage, some of those traps are there everyday so they are either staking a claim to the area, or harvesting an awful lot of prawns. Are the traps emptied and relaunched everyday or are they pulling them every couple of days? They never seem to move!

I also balance work and family, but see no need to fish overnight when at best it would save me an hour and a half in soak time on the first set. With a limit of 125 prawns, how long does it take to catch a limit? Big picture thinking is that the limit was reduced by almost half because people were taking to many. I’d suggest that along with your limit you should be able to produce your four traps? Should they be with you, or still fishing once you limit out?

Anyway I think this is more of a problem in urban heavily fished areas, but rather than seeing further cuts to daily limits I’d like to see overnight fishing looked at. You may be following the rules but overnight soaking opens up a lot of ways to abuse the system. Just for instance a guy could head out in the morning prior to work after an overnight soak and take his limit, relaunch and come home from work take his limit and relaunch again etc etc.
I disagree with this and the reason why is, people can pick up traps twice on a day regardless if overnight fishing is alowed or not. the regs apply 125 a day no matter how many times you've pulled or set or left your traps for however long . you already cannot pull or set traps after sunset and before sunrise. so I don't see the problem here. if guys can only get out after work or set later they should be able to pick up again in the morning. Simple as that I think overnight soakes are always worse anyway strong believer in that they escape over time. Plus other creatures have more time to venture in.

cheers

Last edited:
Went out to see if I would have better luck on opening day for Lings than I’ve had for halibut. Luck was with me got a nice one!

Yep. I started making custom baits. 6" Swimbaits and 5" grubs for now.
My daughter caught about 6 rock cod (all released) and a 66cm ling with the white glow grub but I got a 68cm ling with the all white swim bait with green eyes.

I am taking custom orders on baits. Shoot me a DM if interested.

Attachments

• 20200502_002541.jpg
    20200502_002541.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 20200502_002631.jpg
    20200502_002631.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 110
Dropped the prawn traps in the Inlet yesterday and fishing was pretty good. Quite a few bigger ones compared to normal, but I guess usually I’ve packed it in due to Commercial fishery,so a little later in the Spring for me to still be fishing them.

Made the mistake of launching my boat at the low tide today along with everybody in Sidney who owns a 24 footer. Mine launched fine after watching several try and fail while waiting an hour in line. 1 pass at Fairfaix today, 1 pass at Coal - nothing!

As I was pulling up to Coal, I noticed a big black plume of smoke coming from the marina. About 10 mins later the mayday came on the radio, turns out a boat exploded at the North Saanich Marina gas dock apparantly. According to the broadcast the blast knocked a few people into the water and the dock and a few boats were on fire. Ambulance, fire, police and divers were all on the scene. I hope everyones alright...

Made the mistake of launching my boat at the low tide today along with everybody in Sidney who owns a 24 footer. Mine launched fine after watching several try and fail while waiting an hour in line. 1 pass at Fairfaix today, 1 pass at Coal - nothing!

As I was pulling up to Coal, I noticed a big black plume of smoke coming from the marina. About 10 mins later the mayday came on the radio, turns out a boat exploded at the North Saanich Marina gas dock apparantly. According to the broadcast the blast knocked a few people into the water and the dock and a few boats were on fire. Ambulance, fire, police and divers were all on the scene. I hope everyones alright...
Just talked to my buddy who is a firefighter out there apparently a tragic ending he couldn’t confirm for sure as he wasn’t on scene though

Just talked to my buddy who is a firefighter out there apparently a tragic ending he couldn’t confirm for sure as he wasn’t on scene though
the news seems to be alluding to a death.

The radio chatter was a bit garbled on one end (CCG was loud and clear) but I heard something to the effect of "bodies, not ambulance" from somebody at or near the scene, probably on a handheld VHF... obviously hoping I misheard.

Please can we not have any speculations or "I heard from" on what happened here out of respect for those involved. We can all surely wait for proper facts to be reported from those in charge.

Was on scene as support and assistance. Will not comment as only those involved and investigating will have the facts.

This should apply to any type of event like this. Thank you

Been out this week a few times jigging the usual haunts and not much action. Not much bait around from what i can see. Seen a few caught at Powder by the trollers.

I guess I’ll stop looking at boats “until further notice”

the worst part is it’s pretty easy to maintain distance at that launch vs marinas.
I just came across this post killing time waiting for a new hip which will help me get fishing again I thought I would share my enjoyment of looking at boats for sale I don’t think you should not get that enjoyment. I am still looking forward to someday in the future getting to fish together

I just came across this post killing time waiting for a new hip which will help me get fishing again I thought I would share my enjoyment of looking at boats for sale I don’t think you should not get that enjoyment. I am still looking forward to someday in the future getting to fish together
Me too!

Tried some bottom fish jigging yesterday with my son. Not much action, until I got the mother of hits. Peeling line like crazy, took me a couple minutes to realize this was no bottom fish. Ended up being a high teens/low twenties salmon. Hit at 45 feet on an 8 oz swirly tail jig. Released safely at the side of the boat. It was hatchery marked.... sure would be nice to have hatchery retention right now.

Not many boats out with the calm weather and great tides yesterday morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back