2020 Powell River Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent a few days doing spring maintenance this week & went out for a few hours this afternoon to make sure everything was up to snuff.
Had trouble with one rigger, so doubled up on the other & dragged some hooks around for a while.
It was choppy & cold in the wind at Harwood, so cruised back & fished the foreshore.
Saw a few small feed balls and maybe one decent arch in three hours.
All the feed was down low, so I was bumping bottom a lot.
Ended up hooking a prawn trap that looked like the float was removed by a passing prop.
Found out that even the HP Scotty makes a **** poor trap hauler. Took 2 fuses to get the ball to the surface.
The trap & lines had plenty of growth on, so it’d been down there a while. If you think the trap might be yours, PM me.

Went out early on the 16th, but apparently, not early enough. The really early risers did well, but we struck out. A couple of unders & a few little lings.
Was a little better last night. Started out at Coho Point, running a 5” 602 tubby with a Chartreuse glow dummy flasher on one side & a few different spoons on the other. The spoons didn’t get much action, but the 602 kept me busy with several just under legal Chinook.
Switched over to 4” herring on the other side & did a lot better. Two really good hits, lost before we saw them. One on the plug & one on herring.
We ended up with one 8.6 lb keeper just as the sun was setting. Talked to a few other guys who had about the same results. Lots of unders.

Seems to be no reports page set up on the forum for the Lund area so I guess Powell River would be the closest area to post this in. Although Campbell River is pretty close too.

Wanted to do a solo trip for a couple days to get a good dose of vitamin sea. Visited a friend up in Lund and had to pick up a fishing rod from a fellow SFBC member at Campbell River anyways so combined those into a nice little get away for a couple days. Headed up Tuesday from Vancouver. Was a bit choppy in some areas but flattened out up North more when past Sechelt. Trip up to Lund took 3 hrs 15 min. Stopped in at the Marina to see how packed the moorage was, got some fuel then headed over to Campbell river to pick up the fishing rod. By then it was just after 7 pm so booted back across the Straight and fished the night bite around Bakers Pass for some of the flood tide. Picked up 4 undersized Springs and one keeper Spring trolling from 120 to 80' on riggers in 100 to 300' water. Was steady action on spoons and Herring strip until it got too dark to fish then headed back to the marina to tie up for the night.

On Wednesday morning I headed back to the same area and fished part of the ebb and low slack with no luck at the same depths and same tacks so moved out deeper and dropped down to where some fish were showing up on the sounder. Got into a bunch of small Springs and two Pinks with more caught on the Herring strip than the spoons. Two Springs were of keepable size but released them hoping for a better sized one. Action died after the slack so went over to the Twin islands to do some jigging for bottom fish. Found a keeper Ling there, a couple rock fish and a Yellow Eye that I tried releasing on the Seaqualizer but it failed to open on both a weight on the rod and straight attached to the rigger. Third attempt it finally opened and released but a few minutes later I saw an Eagle come down to grab the now floating fish on the surface. ****** waste of a nice fish that was but at least another creature got to eat it.

At noon I headed back to the Marina to have lunch and a beer from the pub then walked up to the bakery on the loop trail to grab some coffee for the boat. There was a nice long two tiered flood slack tide coming from 2:30 to 6:30 so headed across over to the Green Can area in Campbell River to fish there for a bit and tacked up to Fancisco's but nothing but undersized Springs there too and tons of boats crammed in fishing that area. Counted 40 on one tack and 48 boats back the other way. Not my idea of peaceful fishing. So pulled the lines up and headed back to the same tacks I was doing the night before around Bakers. Only one other boat fishing that area. Much more my type of fishing. Soon as I dropped the lines in more small Springs were hitting steady. Thankfully with the smalls at least I don't have to pull the second line in or kill the troll. Still no decent keeper in the mix for a couple more hours. At the end of the slack another keeper hit the Herring Strip hard. Swam straight up and towards the boat. Quite the gong show solo with two lines out with the fish bolting to the boat The line went between motors. The line missed the prop that was still turning so I killed the motor and trimmed them up and out of the water. Thankfully the fish took that strip deep in it's throat or I'm sure it would have been lost with the kerfuffle of a fight it was. Headed back to the Marina to meet up with a friend and had a frosty one with him then I headed back to my boat to have supper, watched some tube in the cuddy then hit the sack.

Saw two nice Hump Back shows as well. One closer to Lund and the other on my way over to the Green Can.

Thursday morning I was going to try to find another Ling before heading back to Vancouver but the tides didn't look favorable and the wind report was perfect for the ride back to Vancouver so I left the Lund Marina at 6:45 AM and headed back. I checked the tides for pulling the boat out in Vancouver and saw that I could catch the flood in West Van to fish for a few hours then go to pull my boat out. Boat ride back only took 2hrs 45 min with flat seas and a tail wind. Dropped the lines in at Atkinson and tacked all around the West Van shore line for a four hours. Quite a few boats out and saw no nets out. Not a sniff there fishing spoons, chovies and Herring. Some bait on the sounder and some fish on the sounder in a few spots all around the 70-90' depths but no action.

20200812_063808.jpg

20200812_104336.jpg

20200812_104506.jpg

20200812_075244.jpg

20200812_110333.jpg

20200812_113631.jpg
20200812_121829.jpg

20200812_184420.jpg

20200812_114336.jpg
20200812_202307.jpg

Seems to be no reports page set up on the forum for the Lund area so I guess Powell River would be the closest area to post this in. Although Campbell River is pretty close too.

Wanted to do a solo trip for a couple days to get a good dose of vitamin sea. Visited a friend up in Lund and had to pick up a fishing rod from a fellow SFBC member at Campbell River anyways so combined those into a nice little get away for a couple days. Headed up Tuesday from Vancouver. Was a bit choppy in some areas but flattened out up North more when past Sechelt. Trip up to Lund took 3 hrs 15 min. Stopped in at the Marina to see how packed the moorage was, got some fuel then headed over to Campbell river to pick up the fishing rod. By then it was just after 7 pm so booted back across the Straight and fished the night bite around Bakers Pass for some of the flood tide. Picked up 4 undersized Springs and one keeper Spring trolling from 120 to 80' on riggers in 100 to 300' water. Was steady action on spoons and Herring strip until it got too dark to fish then headed back to the marina to tie up for the night.

On Wednesday morning I headed back to the same area and fished part of the ebb and low slack with no luck at the same depths and same tacks so moved out deeper and dropped down to where some fish were showing up on the sounder. Got into a bunch of small Springs and two Pinks with more caught on the Herring strip than the spoons. Two Springs were of keepable size but released them hoping for a better sized one. Action died after the slack so went over to the Twin islands to do some jigging for bottom fish. Found a keeper Ling there, a couple rock fish and a Yellow Eye that I tried releasing on the Seaqualizer but it failed to open on both a weight on the rod and straight attached to the rigger. Third attempt it finally opened and released but a few minutes later I saw an Eagle come down to grab the now floating fish on the surface. ****** waste of a nice fish that was but at least another creature got to eat it.

At noon I headed back to the Marina to have lunch and a beer from the pub then walked up to the bakery on the loop trail to grab some coffee for the boat. There was a nice long two tiered flood slack tide coming from 2:30 to 6:30 so headed across over to the Green Can area in Campbell River to fish there for a bit and tacked up to Fancisco's but nothing but undersized Springs there too and tons of boats crammed in fishing that area. Counted 40 on one tack and 48 boats back the other way. Not my idea of peaceful fishing. So pulled the lines up and headed back to the same tacks I was doing the night before around Bakers. Only one other boat fishing that area. Much more my type of fishing. Soon as I dropped the lines in more small Springs were hitting steady. Thankfully with the smalls at least I don't have to pull the second line in or kill the troll. Still no decent keeper in the mix for a couple more hours. At the end of the slack another keeper hit the Herring Strip hard. Swam straight up and towards the boat. Quite the gong show solo with two lines out with the fish bolting to the boat The line went between motors. The line missed the prop that was still turning so I killed the motor and trimmed them up and out of the water. Thankfully the fish took that strip deep in it's throat or I'm sure it would have been lost with the kerfuffle of a fight it was. Headed back to the Marina to meet up with a friend and had a frosty one with him then I headed back to my boat to have supper, watched some tube in the cuddy then hit the sack.

Saw two nice Hump Back shows as well. One closer to Lund and the other on my way over to the Green Can.

Thursday morning I was going to try to find another Ling before heading back to Vancouver but the tides didn't look favorable and the wind report was perfect for the ride back to Vancouver so I left the Lund Marina at 6:45 AM and headed back. I checked the tides for pulling the boat out in Vancouver and saw that I could catch the flood in West Van to fish for a few hours then go to pull my boat out. Boat ride back only took 2hrs 45 min with flat seas and a tail wind. Dropped the lines in at Atkinson and tacked all around the West Van shore line for a four hours. Quite a few boats out and saw no nets out. Not a sniff there fishing spoons, chovies and Herring. Some bait on the sounder and some fish on the sounder in a few spots all around the 70-90' depths but no action.

View attachment 55772

View attachment 55773

View attachment 55774

View attachment 55775

View attachment 55776

View attachment 55777
View attachment 55778

View attachment 55779

View attachment 55780
View attachment 55781

Cool report. I live in PR we have been hammering them at Kiddy point. The Iron mines just outside of the marina can usually produce. Fish & Chips are great!

Cool report. I live in PR we have been hammering them at Kiddy point. The Iron mines just outside of the marina can usually produce. Fish & Chips are great!
Right on oh ya I'm familiar with Kiddy Point, Marshall, Blubber. That North end can be really good at times. Usually fish up there earlier in the season but have been making a few trips a year now a bit later too. A couple friends of mine were just up there and stayed at the Beach Garden and were fishing the top end of Texada and got a couple keepers and also a bunch of smalls. I don't think I've ever seen this many small springs around before. Some years they are higher in numbers than others but from what I've seen down south this year it's been crazy with how many there are in some areas. Ya nice to see a pub serving locally caught Ling Cod for the fish and chips :)

Nice report. I prefer Sarah point on the flood and Lewis channel on the ebb. Refuge cove for margaritas and nachos is pretty awesome too great deck. Hoping to get there next day off.
Cheers Scott

Nice report. I prefer Sarah point on the flood and Lewis channel on the ebb. Refuge cove for margaritas and nachos is pretty awesome too great deck. Hoping to get there next day off.
Cheers Scott
I did venture into Desolation a little bit but wasn't aware of the Marina having food, drinks and a nice deck. I'll check that out next time I'm up there for sure. I have jigged off of Sarah years ago but haven't fished it since. There were a few boats there when I went by though so I'll have to give that area a go the next time I'm up as well. I've never fished Lewis Channel before but have boated through it. Looks like there are some nice spots in there to do some mooching. Thanks for the local tips Scott.

I haven’t mooched in many many years. Used to use 8oz circle weights with #8 trebles and live bait
(livies ) What an awesome way to catch salmon. Lewis is most productive trolling the center of the channel down deep where the bottom comes up to 200ft. You might even get a halibut wink wink. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back