Status
Not open for further replies.
They (Moutcha) emailed a week ago stating they are deferring the second half payment to June 1. It seems like a wait and see approach but it does seem hard to picture a trip coming together in July unfortunately due to the govt mandate around travel, hotels, lodges and so forth.
Some of my buddies are giving their deposits back for now

They (Moutcha) emailed a week ago stating they are deferring the second half payment to June 1. It seems like a wait and see approach but it does seem hard to picture a trip coming together in July unfortunately due to the govt mandate around travel, hotels, lodges and so forth.

interesting as Critter Cove has billed us for 2 trips in July fully.

I’ve never stayed there or been there but been around the fishing industry long enough they will transfer your money to next year or go bankrupt

Most of the Lodges are not processing the final payment if they take it in advance (we do not). Most are giving a credit for 2021 or beyond if requested or mandated. We have had very few cancellations as people are hopeful still.

We still are taking reservations but without deposits. We are hopeful Places doing Bring your own boat such as we do should still be able to operate. Obviosly there are questions around the border opening , it may just be a season for Canadian guests . The ability to offer guided trips is uncertain.

Right now as with everything else in the economy we have high levels of uncertainty. Hopefully the trends being seen now of decreasing cases continue and we see some easing of restrictions.

Over the past 9 years I have been going to Critter Cove at various times through out July and August American guests have been a very significant part of their business. If the border remains closed it would impact their business for sure. Unless the social distancing rules are removed I don’t know how business could be conducted given the accommodation and dock configuration and front office.

In my case, the guys are coming on the ferry from horseshoe bay with the truck and trailer. I'm meeting them at french creek to haul out and head across the island as the boat will be at our cabin in the Sechelt area. So things need to line up with the ferries back into service and social distancing guidelines relieved as we are 3 in a 26' boat.

I wouldn't want to push the envelope placing anyone at risk, and the corporate guidance I'm hearing out of the finance industry is teams may head back into the offices the first week of June, at best, if things keep going the way they are around covid. That would leave 5 weeks before we travel so that isn't a lot of time for things to level off. Safety first, full stop...

A lot can happen in 3 months. Remember Jan 10th. Nobody had a clue what was going to transpire. We’ve really only been aware of the levity of the problem for a month. They’ll probably start issuing certificates to people who test negative for Covid. Those folks will be able to have some mobility with limitations. That’s what the UK has discussed.

Last edited:
I think the tail of the "V" will be a whole lot flatter than the leading edge unfortunately. I wish it was otherwise but until we have an antibody test for general release it's all just smoke and mirrors. Let's hope I'm totally wrong and this is all in the past and fast!

One of my friends that has a place in Nootka is from the USA. He bought a fishing license online and everything went thru.

The next day the license was cancelled and the money was refunded????

What does that mean?

Mike

One of my friends that has a place in Nootka is from the USA. He bought a fishing license online and everything went thru.

The next day the license was cancelled and the money was refunded????

What does that mean?

Mike

• Important Notice

In order to be consistent with current border closure in effect for COVID-19, DFO will not be issuing recreational licences to non-residents. Licence issuance to non-residents will resume when border closures are lifted.

Notice Posted: Monday April 06, 2020

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere. Not a fishing report but will give a heads up if you do plan on making a fishing trip anytime soon.Was coming home this afternoon from our monthly Costco shop and came across a RCMP road block at the Buttle Lake narrows bridge to Gold River. Was asked if I was a resident and asked to look at my Drivers License. Officer said they where stopping people from going to remote communities. Apparently they also had a road block out there yesterday too.

Happy Easter from Port Eliza. Great day on the water, sunny skies, flat seas. Got a halibut and a ling bottom fishing, several undersize salmon and shakers, had one nice one on but it spit the hook fishing Ferrer Point. Also about 50 prawns in Port Eliza Inlet. 20200411_165423.jpg 20200412_160717.jpg

Last edited:
Nice... beautiful pic, brings back sooooo many sweet memories, although I am getting this sickening feeling that we won't be able to go this year... hope the feeling goes away soon.

All this talk about closures, is the launch Gold River open right now? I’ve heard it’s closed, hopefully a bad rumour.

All this talk about closures, is the launch Gold River open right now? I’ve heard it’s closed, hopefully a bad rumour.

Just for an excuse to get out of the house today, my wife and I drove out to Gold River specifically to check on the status of the boat ramp there. Sure enough, it was open, no problems. A couple of boats were launching and taking out while we were there. There was no-one there to collect any launch fees, but there was a phone # on the sign so that you could phone in your payment. Beautiful day for a drive along the lake, very refreshing during this time of social distancing and self isolation......Pacemaker

Just for an excuse to get out of the house today, my wife and I drove out to Gold River specifically to check on the status of the boat ramp there. Sure enough, it was open, no problems. A couple of boats were launching and taking out while we were there. There was no-one there to collect any launch fees, but there was a phone # on the sign so that you could phone in your payment. Beautiful day for a drive along the lake, very refreshing during this time of social distancing and self isolation......Pacemaker

Great, thanks for the report.

I know it’s still early but boat traffic inside the sound is very quite. Seen a few boats this week coming and going from Critter. Couple boats are prawning near Hisnit and 1 boat at the end of the dock at Cougar last 3 days. Havnt seen any boat traffic from Moutcha.

Took these pictures above Cougar Creek yesterday from my office window. My mobile office Is a off-highway logging truck...

40F1F96C-42C3-4992-BBEB-419A846FE511.jpeg 2479AC03-C5EE-484C-93F2-D4B6F49A2061.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back