2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like to go fish the bell buoy soon but would like some advice. Can anyone tell me what roughly what depth I should be fishing at if I’m targeting chinooks?

Have you read any of this thread? Any of it at all?

They have a point. Have a look above, then scroll down.

Running large herring will likely be more effective then a certain depth to avoid hooking pinks and instead target larger Chinook.

They have a point. Have a look above, then scroll down.

Running large herring will likely be more effective then a certain depth to avoid hooking pinks and instead target larger Chinook.
Good point. Maybe he was actually being really clever? Maybe that's wishful thinking.

I’d like to go fish the bell buoy soon but would like some advice. Can anyone tell me what roughly what depth I should be fishing at if I’m targeting chinooks?
They come up and travel shallow in warmer summer months. As shallow as right up below the surface to 100' you'll find them. Lately we've been fishing 30' to 75' on the riggers and doing very well. Bait, spoons, hootchies etc.. But ya Pinks will hammer anything and everything. Like Seatosky pointed out, using large gear/hooks can help allow larger fish to get hooked over smaller Pinks but some of the Pinks are good sized and even they can open up for large Herring and large hooks but it does help for sure using some larger set ups.

Using the "search" function on the site can be very helpful. Type in key words you are trying to find info on and it will show you lot's of threads people have discussed the topic you are looking for. If you don't find what you are looking for then ask away and folks will help you out.

And if you want to really target them throw on a Flat Fish or smaller Plug in pink/chartreuse. The faster you can get it vibrating/moving the better.

I’m going out tomorrow. I’m gonna try some plugs and big spoons. I’ll let you know
We chucked our anchovies and smaller Herring back in the box the other day. Threw on my largest huge Herring with large hooks, my biggest 6" spoons I had in the boat with 7/0 hooks, and hoochies with large hooks... we still hooked big Pinks with them but did get the last of our Springs we needed. Large Pinks will still hit even the largest of set ups but it will definetely help keep away some of the quick/softer bites of less aggressive smaller Pinks.

But as for them not biting plugs. Sorry nope that's not the case at all. Father in law used to have specific ones set aside for the Pinks that loved them. Yup smaller than ones he used for Springs and certain colors set aside for them but he fished those and Flat Fish for them all the time. Myself I'm not much of a plug guy but do use them once and awhile but have seen loads of Pinks caught on them by the old Point Roberts crew all through the 80's and 90's over there..

We chucked our anchovies and smaller Herring back in the box the other day. Threw on my largest huge Herring with large hooks, my biggest 6" spoons I had in the boat with 7/0 hooks, and hoochies with large hooks... we still hooked big Pinks with them but did get the last of our Springs we needed. Large Pinks will still hit even the largest of set ups but it will definetely help keep away some of the quick/softer bites of less aggressive smaller Pinks.

But as for them not biting plugs. Sorry nope that's not the case at all. Father in law used to have specific ones set aside for the Pinks that loved them. Yup smaller than ones he used for Springs and certain colors set aside for them but he fished those and Flat Fish for them all the time. Myself I'm not much of a plug guy but do use them once and awhile but have seen loads of Pinks caught on them by the old Point Roberts crew all through the 80's and 90's over there..
You know what that's actually true. I caught a massive pink a month ago at Tunstal at 120' with a 4" plug. Its was glow with a bit of pink, one of the popular ones.

Took the grandson out a week ago ,figured I would start at T10 and do a fast troll with plugs towards Steveston , ran my favourite old school 6” and a old school 3” plug . Double header in 15 minutes an 18 and 20 lb white spring . Got our limit and had to wait for the tide to get out . Grandson got to bring 6 more in the 16 -18 lb range to the boat , pretty awesome day for a 10 year old .
I use on old Peetz and a new Peetz with the big knob handles , his hand was beat up pretty good at the end of the day , but now he knows the feel of a fish on and when it’s going to run on him and move his hand.
Got a good video of him on the GoPro learning why they call them knuckle busters
Not many 10 year olds get to play that many good fish in a day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back