2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Discussion in '2019 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the fog ducker

the fog ducker Well-Known Member

we catch them in 500 feet out west , thought they were box crabs , what someone told me when i showed them a pic , scrawny lookin . pretty sure they dont get much bigger

therise likes this.
  2. Chasin' Dreams

Chasin' Dreams Well-Known Member

Lopholithodes-foraminatus_ID_ODFW.jpg
    Oh right on FD'r. Box Crab are very different looking. I haven't personally caught any myself but a friend of mine catches them up by Cortez. They huddle themselves up into a cube and look like rocks kind of and have very hard shells from how he explained it to me. Here's an internet stock photo of a Box Crab

3. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Like this 20190121_194337.jpg

4. Chasin' Dreams

Nice! Where abouts did you catch those ones RC? Not the exact spot obviously but curious how far from the harbor? Up straight farther?

5. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

South of Texada
    The one in the middle in Yaletown.

sasqman, Garball, Cory and 9 others like this.
  6. Manolaki

Manolaki Member

Thanks, learned something new. Thought box crabs were something completely different!

Onchy and the fog ducker like this.
  7. Normfish

Normfish Well-Known Member

I have caught a few myself in Howe Sound, the crab traps were in less than 60 feet of water where I caught them .

max-p and Rain City like this.
  8. the fog ducker

the fog ducker Well-Known Member

aggred , my mistake , ive caught box crab out west as well, i mixed that up , i was a little distracted , but definately nice box crabs buddy , cheers on that one ;)
    we have caught tanners in 500 feet or more , when experimenting ,
    much smaller than Reeltimes photo

fd

Rain City likes this.
  9. Peahead

Peahead Well-Known Member

Hey RC, just spotted your photo. With a fair level of confidence (despite not seeing them in person) , I would say those are probably 'Puget Sound King Crab'. I used to photograph them all up and down coast (scuba) and shape and colour look to be as I remember them. Member of King Crab family and not actually a Box Crab ( although look similar) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puget_Sound_king_crab

Chasin' Dreams, grascal and Rain City like this.
  10. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

You know what's funny I think after a lot of debate that is what we actually agreed upon as well. I was going to comment in that regard but thought **** it. Thanks for mentioning it!

Peahead and willydw like this.
  11. Chasin' Dreams

Wow very cool! Ya when comparing pictures online they look a lot alike (the Box and Puget Sound King Crab) but the PSKC is much more vibrant in color with pinks, purples, orange, reds while they say the Box crab is dull and tan/brown in color.

Did you eat them RC? If so how were they?

12. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

We did eat them yes. There was lots of chunky meat but the shells were REALLY hard to break. They also let out some kind of pissy smelling liquid before I killed them that was kind of off putting. Very sweet meat but not as clean tasting as Dungeness. The colors of the shells were almost psychedelic.

Chasin' Dreams likes this.
  13. cohochinook

cohochinook Well-Known Member

Is that at hole-in-the-wall Rain City? I've seen them at that area on top of my prawn traps when I pull them up.

14. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

No. Near Texada. These were shallow shallow... Like my ex-wife.

15. Dorman Point

Dorman Point Active Member

No love for me today. Fished Tunstall and waterfall/markers/hutt. Lots of good bait showing in both places but only one 18” under for me. Beautiful winter day up the sound though.

16. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Didn't fish but got a big haul of massive crabs in the harbor and 172 prawns in just 2 hours. Beautiful sunset to top it all off.

20190125_182652.jpg Resized_20190125_182432(1).jpeg Resized_20190125_152152.jpeg Resized_IMG-20190125-WA0013(2).jpeg Resized_20190125_171435.jpeg

ZENYO, SSwilson92, Reeltime and 30 others like this.
  17. Chasin' Dreams

Great pics RC! Looks like you guys had a beautiful day out there.

Rain City likes this.
  18. walleyes

walleyes Crew Member

Awesome stuff RC, good haul. Looks like the new boat is being put to good use right off the hop.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Rain City and chipstealer like this.
  19. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

It sure is. The wife even said yesterday "I really like being on the water like this". Meaning in a living room. She didn't really come out much before in the winter months, not that this is much of a winter lol.

Sir Reel, walleyes, Original and 2 others like this.
  20. walleyes

walleyes Crew Member

Yah winter,,, I'm getting tired of sitting in mine making motor boat sounds already lol. That's not to say momma and I haven't tried out the cuddy already ;) ;)

Stizzla and Rain City like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.