2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Discussion in '2019 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capman

capman Member

Thanks, Rain City, that's great advice. I only have 2 traps and with the help of my bro, we can try different spots. Depth-wise, should I stay around 200' to 350'.

2. capman

capman Member

One other question on prawn traps, if you have 4 traps, would you still put all 4 traps one line?

3. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

This year we found them shallow around 250. Sometimes in some places they're deeper up to 350. If you're into squat lobsters I think that means you're too deep. Not 100% sure on that one but you're not in the right spot, change it up.
    You can fish four traps in a line but you need a buoy on each end. I don't like doing that personally because you cant experiment with different spots as easily. Plus it's a lot of gear for a scotty puller.

capman likes this.
  4. Normfish

Normfish Well-Known Member

Anyone fish today , wind looks good for the next couple days ?

5. Matthias

Matthias Well-Known Member

Fished 8 hrs without a bite. All along south Bowen. Moved to the hump, nothing.

Normfish likes this.
  6. Normfish

Normfish Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the quick response

7. Oscar162

Oscar162 New Member

Was off south Bowen this a.m. ...very slow, managed 1 toddler in 2 hours. Set a tack from RC to QA and found a couple decent fish off the east end of the Hump. Found one more at the bell before we packed it in. All on spoons 90-135, coho killer best. Cheers

8. seatosky

seatosky Well-Known Member

We ended up with 5 to the boat yesterday. Marked fish up high and hit a nice mid teen at 60’ if that helps. Had another 10lber while bringing up the gear around 45’. Glow hootchie seemed to be more productive.

Spotted an orca pod off in the distance near RC. Perhaps this has turned the bite off.

Normfish likes this.
  9. Matthias

Matthias Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report.
    Where did you catch your fish??

10. seatosky

seatosky Well-Known Member

Most out deep in Tunstall. 1 near Cowan. Need to move around to find the bait. Find the bait, mark the fish, adjust riggers accordingly. Luck is a factor for sure.

Normfish likes this.
  11. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

My uncles got into a few keepers at the hump today I was told. That's all I got.

12. capman

capman Member

Thank you! Great info.

13. sir-vivor

sir-vivor Well-Known Member

First Pull (35 ) while on the Island last week. Got a great spot , fish 210-280 on a reef and usually in 4 hours we get our 2 person limit.
    Sorry not about to give the GPS location but its 15 min from a boat launch. we use tuna cat food and pallets mixed up.

PSX_20190423_101928.jpg

max-p, BCRingo and Rain City like this.
  14. Robalo227

Robalo227 New Member

Anybody made the jaunt over to Thrasher lately?

15. Trophy79

Trophy79 Active Member

You can go back a few pages and you’ll see my post from last Sunday...I’ll be heading this Friday for an overnight to fish Friday night and Saturday Morning...I’ll post on Saturday when I get back...Cheers

wishiniwasfishin1 likes this.
  16. capman

capman Member

Dropped prawn traps around passage island. Then headed back to shore to attend the protest. Went back and grabbed the traps after 5 hours, 1 trap nothing and the other had 2. So I guess based on what I spent for puller and the gears, each prawn cost me $500.Lol. I guess my problem was that bait was not exposed properly. I’ll keep learning. On a positive note, limited on crabs.

macro likes this.
  17. macro

macro Active Member

What do you look for when dropping your crab traps? I've just been trying random bays in 30-50 feet.. sometimes I find a crab.. sometimes not. Would like to be a little more targeted in my approach.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  18. seadna

seadna Well-Known Member

30-50 ft is WAY too shallow for most prawns. 200-400' is better and I typically prawn at 200-270'. I look for ledges with relatively muddy bottoms that drop off to deeper areas.

I mix up tuna bellies with fish flavored cat food, prawn bait pellets and herring oil. You want some oily stuff and small particles that come out early and some bigger stuff that takes longer to fall apart. You want a heavily weighted trap as the line in the current will move the trap iff it's not weighted enough. A small anchor or down rigger ball on the line about 15-20 up from the pot will help reduce the vibration on the pot as the current pulls into the line. Less pot movement/vibration increases the catch rate dramatically.

Gator likes this.
  19. macro

macro Active Member

Im an idiot - I meant to say crab traps.

seadna likes this.
  20. Fixit

Fixit Well-Known Member

That’s the best way to find YOUR honey hole
    I usually aim for 60 ft but that’s dependant in which bay I’m in
    When you find a honey hole don’t tell everyone about it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.