2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Discussion in '2019 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reeltordarius

reeltordarius Well-Known Member

Got out to the bell yesterday from 7:30-10, one hit at 9ish that was a 9# keeper. Hit Roger Curtis 10:30-1, one hit at 11:45ish that was also a 9# keeper. Both were at 107' & 110' respectively and caught on anchovie at the Bell and spoon at Roger Curtis. 160 spotties and 6 crabs to round off the day. Glorious weather and calm water made for an absolutely incredible day.

Skins88, walleyes, Dixsea and 10 others like this.
  2. Normfish

Normfish Well-Known Member

Was at Tswassen yesterday doing some Crabbing , that boat was doing some work at the Roberts Bank container port 1Marko watched it leave.
    Crabbing was good , got our limit of 12 and also some Sole.

Skins88, LuckyIfYouCatchOne and max-p like this.
  3. Saratoga

Saratoga Active Member

Nice day on the water yesterday. Wind came up for a while around mid day but settled down in the afternoon. Managed a keeper (~8lbs) near Tunstall but it was fairly quiet overall. Several pockets of bait around that we worked thoroughly but just the one fish on a spoon at 100’. I’m pretty sure crabbing was very good ... at least for the person who emptied my traps. Traps were sitting in different spots when we arrived back to retrieve them. Both traps properly weighted & in an area I crab in frequently. Bait was gone (heavily baited traps) & had 2 very small crabs in them. Normally they come up loaded. I had a good run with my traps not being pilfered so I guess it was my turn. Great day on the water otherwise. Good luck out there.

Barnacle Bill and Taylor Grubb like this.
  4. cohochinook

cohochinook Well-Known Member

Was out yesterday on a friend's boat fishing Howe Sound. Landed 3 keepers and lost 3 others. 120 to 150 feet on white hoochie.

Skins88, capman, Normfish and 7 others like this.
  5. Chasin' Dreams

Chasin' Dreams Well-Known Member

No salmon fishing for me. Just doing some prawning and crabbing. It has been very very good ☺ 20190331_162155.jpg 20190331_193047.jpg 20190331_193012.jpg 20190331_163044.jpg 20190401_203118.jpg 20190402_213219.jpg 20190402_213839.jpg 20190403_145709.jpg

6. reeltordarius

reeltordarius Well-Known Member

7. 63stingray

63stingray Active Member

8. seadna

seadna Well-Known Member

They look like coon stripe prawns. They're OK but nowhere near as good as spot prawns.

9. gonefishen

gonefishen New Member

ya it was rough & wet. 5 undersize couple smalls got off. south & west bowen. No keepers, lots of bait, presume they were hearing but no keepers to tell me. coyote & skiny g's were both working, 130-160 feet on rigger. water depth was everywere mostly in the mud.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  10. deepcover

deepcover Member

More and more coon stripe prawns these days. I went almost 1:1 with spot prawns last time I was out. Plus 3 octopuses, which I assume were snacking on the prawns. Maybe they prefer spot prawns too :p

11. Corey_lax

Corey_lax Well-Known Member

I usually get coon stripes on a muddy bottom in shallow water. Traps come up with a bunch of mud on them.

Attached Files:

BCRingo and Dogbreath like this.
  12. Chasin' Dreams

Yes they are Coonstripes. My daughters like them better than the Spot Prawns cause they are smaller and fit better in our garlic cheese bake pottery dishes. I like them both the Spots and Coonstripes but the Spot Prawns are sweeter than the Coonstripes. I also got some Humpback shrimp too in the mix but not very many.
    Ya where I'm prawning it goes from mud to rock bottom so there's a mix of the species there. When I wanna get more Spots than the shrimp I can just move my traps up a little more north where it's all rocks and all Spot Prawns. I was shocked this time out of the amount of small Red Rock crab that were going in the traps in 300' of water. I've got the odd ones before but I'm talking between 10 to 20 in the traps at times. Made for more work cause I had to pull the traps more often getting rid of the RR crab from the traps. Puts a kink in the prawning but even with that said the numbers of prawns and shrimp were great and I gotta say the Red Rock crab I kept from another area were large and so so sweet tasting. Better than any Dungie I've had yet. I'll be targeting them more in that area from now on over the Dungies. Harder shells but nothing a cracker tool doesn't take care of.

Dorman Point likes this.
  13. Dorman Point

Dorman Point Active Member

Personal tastes are funny. To my palate, the coonstripes are sweeter than the spots. I really like them as ebi sashimi - fresh out of the shell. I keep soy sauce and a tube of wasabi on the boat and we always have a few with a rum back at the dock as we’re beheading.

Nola, aussie, Viking and 2 others like this.
  14. Dorman Point

Dorman Point Active Member

With all the doom and gloom, I think it’s imortant we remember, and be thankful for, the good fortune we have to live here and enjoy these sorts of things. We’re going to take a haircut on limits and accessibility, but as long as we can still go out and fish, at least a bit, I still will.

Nola, Onchy and Rain City like this.
  15. 7A0CD9B6-D3A3-497C-AEBF-643BC803DB7E.jpeg Can anybody ID this fish that was inside my prawn trap

Finally and Chasin' Dreams like this.
  16. 1marko

1marko Active Member

I would say it's a type of lingcod but haven't seen that one...

17. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Crew Member

Google search came up with upload_2019-4-5_20-26-6.jpeg Plainfin midshipman fish ???

Four-Reel Drive and 1marko like this.
  18. Tightlines22

Tightlines22 Well-Known Member

Incredible what comes up from time to time. I once pulled up what I can only describe as a mini dragon/sea serpent. This was long before smart phones and digital cameras. The thing was not happy and hissed at me before sending it back in!

Corey_lax likes this.
  19. Chasin' Dreams

I agree DP. Personal tastes for sure differ. I too like you eat the prawns and shrimp fresh sashimi right out of the ocean. They are so good. And I make homemade sushi and sashimi at home as well with maki rolls etc.. And my palate prefers whisky over rum lol but hey they are both good :) P.S. I hope you are keeping your prawn heads for bait ;)

Dorman Point likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.