Profisher your ability to find the fish is other worldly and supernatural. A true fishing god.

Meanwhile back here on earth, this is a report from an ordinary mortal just 24 hours later. Dropped the lines at 6:00am not far from a few other boats and trolled back and forth, in to 400’ of water and back out to 550’ etc, for 2.5 hours without a single touch from a sockeye. Tried 38’ down to 55’. Just one shaker in that time. Also only saw one fish taken by all the boats out where we were in that period.

Gave up on that and switched to anchovy/herring around Possession. Around 9:30am got a decent hit on the herring at 57’ and brought in a chubby little 10lb fish that fought really well for its small size.

Fished on for three more hours and only had one more shaker in all that time. Here endeth a normal reality show.

Kidding aside, we were glad not to be skunked and I am happy with little left over chinook not caught by the guides. For the life of me I cannot figure out the sockeye this year though. How folks get multiple hits during a single morning is a mystery. (Yes we are using small red and pink squirts on fairly short leaders and have a dummy flasher on each ball as well as the flasher ahead of the squirts.)
Roland,,a big thank you and im sure from everyone else on this forum, your reports are priceless!!!

This AM, dropped the lines in 538 feet and got lucky on a school of socks. Went 6 for 9, and a few shakers. Zipped into Otter, and bonked a bleeding feeder. Saw the wales start working near Muir creek. Transient or not, I don't believe orcas are helpful in salmon fishing, so we zipped into Posession Point, and caught the tail end of a good bite there going 1 for 3, and watching the tug and two thread the needle towing the log boom in the channel between Secretary and Iron Mine Bay.

On water of beachy before 6 today, 555ft as directed. Good soc action then the whales came by around 7.30, seamed they were every where, close, distant and not being molested yet, then an instant soc stop for us. Trolled another 4 hrs and only shakers, hid into the trap for fast flood and the shakers continued. Home at 5 for a full day, nice and flat, cooling breeze and smoke covering burning sun. What an awesome day. Good job to guy and girl in blue HT 17ft, Hurston?, back to back good fish in net.

HM
That was us. Thanks.(Double Eagle). We had a an epic battle with a seal trying to steal our second one. Almost netted a salmon and a seal! We won the battle this time. 77 ft on skinny G Spoons. Fast troll. Good luck!

Me thinks a Sooke fish being that dark already, everybody watch out the Jackel is fishing Sooke tomorrow for sox in a friends boat. Has to be at least 10 years since i have fished Sooke, look for the guy with the bucket on his head as i am fishing with a sportsdragger and can't be seen trolling hardware :D
you should get a Halloween mask!

630 til 1 shift today beechy to secretary couple of shakers and 2 out of 3 for sockeye no springs but it beats the hell out of work

Fished springs for 6 hrs this morning and ended up with 5 of 7 withthe 3 largest going 21, 18 and 17 pounds. Nice flat water but really noticing the smoke from the fires now...never did see the States all morning.

Smoke was bad today. Got halfway up the air quality index which is extremely high for this area. Hope it doesn't decide to team up with the morning fog!
Mind you, just wait till the day pot gets legalized, air quality index will be like so high, man!
Need to change the air quality scale that day to buzzed, stoned, and totally wasted!

Fished yesterday 6-11. 3 fat sockeye landed near Secretary, one on a Peetz Holy Roller and the rest on the common red squirt. Lost another 3. Tried for springs but no love.

Out last night and this am. Forgot the bait cooler both trips but it worked. 25lb off possession last night on an AP and 2 12lb spring and a wild ho as big released all on white hootchie.

Went out this evening for sockeye. Very calm water. Just perfect for spotting them. Anyhow caught two small chinooks (8 lbs) instead out in 450' of water. Eventually I found a school of sockeyes and got one hooked which I lost soon thereafter. Even though I was circling this school and crossing it again and again I wasn't able to get more fish there.

Got my 4 sox this AM. 70-90' deep pink squirt glow head. Out off the trap bite started for me at 7:15 was done in 30 min. First time for this guy with a limit of them off sooke pretty stoked. Got some good advise off this forum regarding soc fishing as I had no prior experience targeting them at all thanks to those who offer up tips/advise .

Got my 4 sox this AM. 70-90' deep pink squirt glow head. Out off the trap bite started for me at 7:15 was done in 30 min. First time for this guy with a limit of them off sooke pretty stoked. Got some good advise off this forum regarding soc fishing as I had no prior experience targeting them at all thanks to those who offer up tips/advise .
They were not as thick off the Head this morning. Started at 6:30 and didn't have anything until 7:30 when we picked up an 11lb spring in 500ft of water. Picked up another 2 decent sockeye and had 3 more shake off. It should keep getting better as all the sockeye out west show up.

Went out this evening for sockeye. Very calm water. Just perfect for spotting them. Anyhow caught two small chinooks (8 lbs) instead out in 450' of water. Eventually I found a school of sockeyes and got one hooked which I lost soon thereafter. Even though I was circling this school and crossing it again and again I wasn't able to get more fish there.

My experience is that they are morning biters.

Same for me this morning.
Out first light. Bite did not come on till 7:30. (saw a lot of boats and no nets early)
Unfortunately I had to get to work so we got 2 and lost 3 before running out of time and having to leave.
Got them at 50ft which is deep for that early. But found them after moving in from 450 ft of water to 300 ft.

How deep was the water where you were *******? (ha that's fun to type)

Same for me this morning.
Out first light. Bite did not come on till 7:30. (saw a lot of boats and no nets early)
Unfortunately I had to get to work so we got 2 and lost 3 before running out of time and having to leave.
Got them at 50ft which is deep for that early. But found them after moving in from 450 ft of water to 300 ft.

How deep was the water where you were *******? (ha that's fun to type)

The Green ******* caught all fish today between 450-550' deep.

Out again at 6 today, 540 ft straight of shack area sockeye gong show, short 1 fish limit in boat by 9 but many long line pop off release's plus that go crazy, roll and jump behind the boat release's. Those springs continue to elude, no love at shack, head or in between. Another awesome day, flat water, good current/tides and an awesome as fresh as it gets BBQ supper. More fishing time with no grass to cut and my annual fall 3 month hunting safaris starts Monday. What a life.

HM

Socks out in 400-500 ft off Secretary fishing with the fleet this morning. Bite was from about 7-10. Red glow tip squirt with red flashers at 61’ was the ticket. Tried Otter for Springs until 1 but no luck.

Tried again for some socks; fished near the head from 5:30-6:30 @ 200-500', nothing but small shakers and was getting pushed South. Pulled up the gear and dropped back in off Secretary in 400-500' of water. Only saw one or two fish netted until 8:00. The bite seemed to start around then as I started to see a couple guys with fish on. I got a decent hit and landed one shortly after 8:00. I changed direction and started heading more south back home as I had to get to work (have been trying to stay mostly heading west) and got a good hit on my deep rod at 50'. As I was bringing this one in both my other rods (40' and 35') got hits. Managed to land the triple header by myself but I imagine it was pretty comical to watch. Blood, slime, flopping fish, a tangled net and trying not to trip on spent rods.... Pretty much complete mayhem! Saw lots of nets out on the way home around 8:30, seemed like the bite was on. Wish I didn't have to go to work and had someone else in the boat so we could have tried for a couple more! Short leaders 18" to 25" with all different styles of pink squirts (white head, straight pink and one with most of the danglers ripped off). Very nice morning on the water.

Well my 10 annual trip from some great guys they did great again in sooke... these are the photos of the 2 days they fished with me..... always great to have people leave with big smiles .....sooke is awesome biggest was 23 lbs
100919@2x.png
101478@2x.png

Back