2018 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Nicely done.

Be intreasting to see if all this heavy rain gets the fish moving on.

Cheers

Nicely done.

Be intreasting to see if all this heavy rain gets the fish moving on.

Cheers
Was out tonight and trolled through what has been a very good track for us the last two weeks. Tonight was much different. Only had a couple of hours so decided to focus on what was working (200+ feet and sardine/cop car spoon). Very little action for either springs or coho. Varied one rod and kept to other as described above. Ran through spoons, hootchies and plugs and had very little to show. Actually did not see bait for the first time in awhile.

Caught and released 4 small ones (2 wilds and a spring). Much different than recent trolls.

All right boys I got an email today regarding a clipped spring salmon I caught a few months ago out front at the humps it was 75cm
3 years old from the chillawack river!!
thats interesting I've just been assuming they're all american fish thx for posting - I'm gonna try and take my heads in too

Out this morning @ 5:30 by myself, quite a bit slower than the last month or so. Dragged the coyote spoon that has been slaying them for the past month or so and not so much as a sniff. But the splatter back hoochie was on fire. Found the fish today @ 80' to 100', nothing deeper. Released 6 wild Coho (3-4lb) and 3 small springs, bonked one 13lbs. Was back at the dock by 8am. Steady rain all morning with a South East chop building steadily when I departed.

Tight Lines.....

I was out for slack tide this morning slow start
Then put 2 Coho in the boat released 1 undersized spring and lost a 30#er at the boat
I had him at the side of the boat for 3 or 4 minuets trying to net him and he wrapped around my cannon ball and lost him but both of my kids were with me and got to see a tyee
And for the record I would of released him after a took a picture
Oh ya it was on a skinny G and my green hoochie was doing well as well

Then put 2 Coho in the boat released 1 undersized spring and lost a 30#er at the boat
I had him at the side of the boat for 3 or 4 minuets trying to net him and he wrapped around my cannon ball and lost him but both of my kids were with me and got to see a tyee
ya
saw you going out as we were coming in, nice day for the kids, bet they were excited, hard to release a big fish but you know its probably the right thing to do.
Hope i have the fortitude to do the same when its my if i get a turn, Ha
We did ok early with a 10 and a 12 at daybreak, could not find a coho, go figure

ya
saw you going out as we were coming in, nice day for the kids, bet they were excited, hard to release a big fish but you know its probably the right thing to do.
Hope i have the fortitude to do the same when its my if i get a turn, Ha
We did ok early with a 10 and a 12 at daybreak, could not find a coho, go figure
I just don’t like eating springs bigger than 20#s
The fillets are to thick ,I’d take a 62cm any day over a 30#er

Why net it if you were going to release it? The net bag can be hard on the slime on their scales which acts as part of their immune system

Made it out for a couple of hours tonight. Water was awesome. Found some substantial bait between 50-100' just off the Straight side of Gerald. Managed 2 springs - a 15# white on a Titan Sardine spoon (155/185) and a 12# red (same spoon and depth). Curiously, both hit just as the DR had be stopped at 155 for a new set and the rods went immediately. I ran everything else off the other DR but did not even get a bump.

Out this morning by myself at 5:30 this morning. Fishing was steady all morning, released 8 small Springs ( 3-4lb), one around 8lbs and 4 small Coho. Had three double headers, only got one fish to the boat from those, lost the one I really wanted! About 8:45 finally connected with a nice one at 16lb's. Bonked it, tied some new leaders and headed for home.

Same rigging as last week, Splatter Back Hoochie @ 90ft, and a mix of a white Hoochie or a coyote spoon at 135ft on the other side. Both did well.

For about an hour or so, contemplated running only one rod as it was almost like "work" out there! Almost........

Tight Lines.....

What a difference 24hrs can make. Out again Sunday morning with totally different results. Not a single spring to the boat. Had 6 nice chubby Coho (4-6lbs) in the first 1.5 hrs, all hatchery fish. After that, nothing! Never saw a net come out in the next several hours. Searched depths and swaped gear, no results. Where oh where have you gone chinookies! Daddy misses you!

Hope some fresh fish are on their way this week. I see the West side has finally woken up so perhaps it is time for a run back to my old stomping grounds.

Tight lines...

Back