2018 Haida Gwaii Reports

Not on bottom. Anywhere from 100-220 on the riggers in 180-350ft of water. 4 inch and 5 inch ap herring spoons in any uv/glow combo. Order 1000 and tell andrew i sent u! :p

Thanks!

Typically large purple label herring with or without teaser heads works at the outpost this time of the year........Its a bit more work but worth the effort. Usually nets out some larger fish even though you are fishing in a sea of needlefish. Just a tip from spending a few thousand hours on the water there in boat 2.

Anybody heard any news from up there? I head up on friday for my first time

Which part of the island? (which lodge or charter?)

Different reports from different ends

Well ... hot off the press ...

I just returned from four days at North Island Lodge up on Langara Island.

The fish are in ...

This is my 13th year and was as good a year as any. Leading up to this trip it was spotty with just
a handful of cohos being caught and the chinook were hit or miss ... this trip it lit up.

I suspect for some reason the salmon were just delayed.

Almost everyone limited out on Hali's, everyone limited out on the chinook and I brought home 5 coho
and many guys brought home 4 or 5 as well.

I was really concerned going up but it's "good now" up there.

Cohos all hit on the top rod with cut plug herring although some guys were catching them down around 20 - 30 feet.

I caught my chinook from 30 - 65 feet and one at 190 feet (trying deep for fun). I caught 20 - 23 chinook so lots of
releases and lots of fun.

My biggest for the trip was 28 lbs ... my fishing partner caught a 32 and the biggest for the trip was 38. The biggest
coho was 11 lbs.

Any questions feel free to send me a PM.

Glenn

The fish are in ...

This is my 13th year and was as good a year as any. Leading up to this trip it was spotty with just
a handful of cohos being caught and the chinook were hit or miss ... this trip it lit up.

Almost everyone limited out on Hali's, everyone limited out on the chinook and I brought home 5 coho

Cohos all hit on the top rod with cut plug herring although some guys were catching them down around 20 - 30 feet.

I caught my chinook from 30 - 65 feet and one at 190 feet (trying deep for fun). I caught 20 - 23 chinook so lots of

My biggest for the trip was 28 lbs ... my fishing partner caught a 32 and the biggest for the trip was 38. The biggest
coho was 11 lbs.

Glenn

How were the sea lions?

They were bad'ish. Not as bad as a few years ... but they were there. I lost a tyee to one Sunday ... I know it was a tyee
because he grabbed it and "showed" it to me before tearing it up. The further off shore was fine and they were really only
focused on two points on the island so there was lots of places to avoid them.

The fish are in ...

coho was 11 lbs.

Glenn

Thanks a ton for the report. I've been lurking this thread since I'm heading up to NIL on July 5th. Last year was disappointing and we're bringing my mom up for the first time this year, so hoping to have her make some good memories!

They were bad'ish. Not as bad as a few years ... but they were there. I lost a tyee to one Sunday ... I know it was a tyee
because he grabbed it and "showed" it to me before tearing it up. The further off shore was fine and they were really only
focused on two points on the island so there was lots of places to avoid them.

Assuming Cohoe Point and Boulder were the bad areas?

No Coho was bad - at times, sometimes none and Andrews was dicey. Off shore at times was ok but sometimes the went off shore looking for the boats.

Thanks a ton for the report. I've been lurking this thread since I'm heading up to NIL on July 5th. Last year was disappointing and we're bringing my mom up for the first time this year, so hoping to have her make some good memories!

Where is NIL?

I was happy to hear about the regular changes. I am up there until July 12th so I have an excuse now to fish hard the last 2 days

I left Calgary yesterday evening & arrived in Prince Ruppert this afternoon.... Long drive and glad I had a partner. I am on the ferry tomorrow morning to. Queen charolett city where I will meet up with my wife and kids.

Plans are to get the boat unpacked and partly rigged tomorrow evening. If weather is good I will fish out of Masset Friday morning. .

Total desiel burned was ~300 liters. Total of 1585 km. Almost enough fuel left in slip tank to get home.

I left Calgary yesterday evening & arrived in Prince Ruppert this afternoon.... Long drive and glad I had a partner. I am on the ferry tomorrow morning to. Queen charolett city where I will meet up with my wife and kids.

Plans are to get the boat unpacked and partly rigged tomorrow evening. If weather is good I will fish out of Masset Friday morning. .

Total desiel burned was ~300 liters. Total of 1585 km. Almost enough fuel left in slip tank to get home.

What will the ferry cost you ? And how big is your rig ?

Back