2018 Haida Gwaii Reports

Hearing VERY slow up north Haida Gwaii. Scraping for salmon - couple of buddies just back from a lodge and said they've never seen it so slow. Any other reports stating otherwise?

Hearing VERY slow up north Haida Gwaii. Scraping for salmon - couple of buddies just back from a lodge and said they've never seen it so slow. Any other reports stating otherwise?
We were a group of 12 at a lodge in Naden this past week. Out of the 12 the biggest was 23lb and lots in the 4-8 lb size. Very slow salmon fishing. Maybe its a bit early or worse case scenario......no fish. I hope for everyone the latter isn't the case but our group which have been going to this lodge yearly for over 20 years have not seen it this bad ever. Good luck to everyone and tight lines.
Also one of the members of our group has a good friend that is a guide in the Langara area and he reported it was "dead" in their area also. Scary.......

We were a group of 12 at a lodge in Naden this past week. Out of the 12 the biggest was 23lb and lots in the 4-8 lb size. Very slow salmon fishing. Maybe its a bit early or worse case scenario......no fish. I hope for everyone the latter isn't the case but our group which have been going to this lodge yearly for over 20 years have not seen it this bad ever. Good luck to everyone and tight lines.
Also one of the members of our group has a good friend that is a guide in the Langara area and he reported it was "dead" in their area also. Scary.......

2009 at Peregrine was the same, sketchy fishing at times where guides were lucky some trips to get more than a handful of chinook bites per day.

I will be up at Hippa Wednesday (June 13th) & will send an update when I get back. I spoke to someone who was fishing the west side last week & it sounds like there have been some decent runs going through at times. Mostly cookie cutter 14-18lbs, how ever there are some high 20's mixed in. I am hoping there will be some early season Coho like last year at this time. Last year there was not many but they did come through.

With the changes I limits I think I may have to target Flounder :D.... No im joking

If weather allows I will however be targeting Sablefish, & if the fish gods allow a big butt Short Raker! I seen a 30lber on Reel West Coast & been dreaming ever since.

I expect this to be a busy trip with lots of hours logged. I will need to catch live bait in the evenings so I can target Monster Lings. While im out in Nesto inlet getting bait I will try jigging up some salmon with flat fall jigs. Last year this time there were lots of Squid in the inlet around the lodge, so there has to be salmon there to take advantage of it.

Just spoke to a guy back from QCL & its nothing short of dead. No bait around and no fish. Top guides are getting 5 springs a day & all under 9#... Odd bigger fish but can count them all on one hand. Hopefully bait starts to show up & brings in fish...

Not trying to scare anyone, just reporting what I heard & is 2nd hand news....

Cant help to think about the illegal fishing the minister was talking about off the northern waters... Something is messed up..... So far its looking worse than last year...

Fished last week in Cartwright Sound with West Wave Fishing from Queen Charlotte City. Kenny & Jevin were fantastic guides. I would highly recommend them. Our party of six had a good day of bottom fishing average size of halibut kept was 32 lbs. Had to release some as too big. Stupid that sports fishery limited to 12% of halibut quota and max. length of 115 cm. Commies can keep what they want. Fished three days limited out on springs largest 22 lbs average about 15 lbs. Released lots of small ones. Weather was not great but we had a good trip. I normally fish Nootka Sound & Tahsis area with my own boat. .

Fished last week in Cartwright Sound with West Wave Fishing from Queen Charlotte City. Kenny & Jevin were fantastic guides. I would highly recommend them. Our party of six had a good day of bottom fishing average size of halibut kept was 32 lbs. Had to release some as too big. Stupid that sports fishery limited to 12% of halibut quota and max. length of 115 cm. Commies can keep what they want. Fished three days limited out on springs largest 22 lbs average about 15 lbs. Released lots of small ones. Weather was not great but we had a good trip. I normally fish Nootka Sound & Tahsis area with my own boat. .

That's great to hear. I have always found the westside to be much better. Did you get into any Lingcod?

Our quota is actually 15% but still not enough

Heard lots of fish around wcfc outpost but ALL are offshore. Nothing inside.
Confirmed. I got into a bundle of em the other afternoon. All 10-22lbs and most were 100-240' down. Other boats also got into a handful but we were the hot boat for sure. Yesterday a 27 hit the dock, caught offshore down 200 feet. Inshore has been horrendous. Got blown off the water this morning but the rest of the week is supposed to be better weather wise.

Is little big boy behaving?

I will be up at Hippa Wednesday (June 13th) & will send an update when I get back. I spoke to someone who was fishing the west side last week & it sounds like there have been some decent runs going through at times. Mostly cookie cutter 14-18lbs, how ever there are some high 20's mixed in. I am hoping there will be some early season Coho like last year at this time. Last year there was not many but they did come through.

With the changes I limits I think I may have to target Flounder :D.... No im joking

If weather allows I will however be targeting Sablefish, & if the fish gods allow a big butt Short Raker! I seen a 30lber on Reel West Coast & been dreaming ever since.

I expect this to be a busy trip with lots of hours logged. I will need to catch live bait in the evenings so I can target Monster Lings. While im out in Nesto inlet getting bait I will try jigging up some salmon with flat fall jigs. Last year this time there were lots of Squid in the inlet around the lodge, so there has to be salmon there to take advantage of it.
ILHG, those little dock shiners are deadly bait for big lings, easy to catch, they pretty much bite anything, I have used a sabiki herring jig set up.

Biggest for me so far is 26, which is also the biggest for the lodge. Been a tough first trip but I managed to get my guests into a couple nice ones. Lots of humpbacks and baitballs out there now so if theyes coming they should be here soon. I've never seen it this slow here before but I have faith they're on the way.
BOOCHTER

Hippa was awesome for the last 3 days. Salmon, halibut, lings and rockfish, but we worked our asses off to get them. I’m beat up.
I hadn’t fished the west side of the charlottes in 17 years so it was so special to see it again. Definitely slower for Salmon than in years past, and smaller fish too, but there were flurries to be had and we did land one tyee. Tons of bait, whales, porpoise, birds ect. It always does a good job of making you feel that “ edge of the world” vibe. Super fun to get up there again with great guys. Was impresssed by lodge and staff up there, definitely superior to the lodge I worked at. Great job west coast resorts!

Englefield bay, Sunday to Wed, unguided and we worked for our fish. All our salmon were chinook in the teens, best spot for us was Cape Henry, although the fish were sprinkled around in the usual spots. One hot bite at the Cape where several boats were on fish at the same time. Got sealioned twice during that bite. Some guides were having trouble getting fish for their clients, and seemed surprised when we came back with a 19 and 18 on the first day. No early coho. Shoals didn't produce any salmon or hali for us. Got a hali across from Denham Bay. Two tyee sized fish were caught, one east of the wall near bone point, one north of cape henry; rumour is rivers inlet fish moving through. Sparse for big fish for sure, fish board looked pretty naked at the end. Lodge was fantastic, great staff and perfect fish cutting and packing. Lucky to get to the west side. I love Haida Gwaii too!

Just spoke to a guy back from QCL & its nothing short of dead. No bait around and no fish. Top guides are getting 5 springs a day & all under 9#... Odd bigger fish but can count them all on one hand. Hopefully bait starts to show up & brings in fish...

When the QCL website from June 15th says "The Chinook fishing has not yet ramped up to “normal”but it is improving steadily. " you know it must be pretty bad

How's the back feeling Buddy? Hope we get you back soon!
Butcher I miss the whole crew. What a team we have this summer! Improvement seems to have stalled out for me. Ice, rest, Advil repeat! Wish I was rolling STEED. I picked up some needlefish jigs and other salmon jigs. I’m hoping to have some fun with those sooner rather than later. Hope I’m back soon!

Come on @ILHG... the suspense is killing me! That teaser pic you sent me should go straight to the bragging rights thread!

Back