2018 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Discussion in '2018 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Triple B

Triple B New Member

The Fella who caught it said it had to be around 8lbs, don't know if he was just making me feel good, I mean I thought it looked big when it took the lure, but I'm just inflating my own ego. :)

Prairie Locked and seahorse like this.
  2. mayday

mayday Active Member

Good and bad again for me at the Hump this morning - good was catching lots of fish - bad was they were either dogfish, or undersized (just!) springs.
    Tried shallow, deep, in-between but nothing keepable no matter what I did.
    Dogs were very annoying - kept speeding up until I swear I was back on the plane again. Lots of them even finning on the surface.
    3 humpbacks were also in the area again.

3. Fish Camp

Fish Camp Well-Known Member

I Awake 530and check the pt homes web cam .with the overload what may ibe i find myself with glimpes.i watch at the tides we are having .two mornings i have seen V formations and over five mornings i have seen 2 smalls fish jump.early bird gets the worm.

lazoman likes this.
  4. drillexpat

drillexpat New Member

This is my first post. Is anyone having any luck at the Big Q or Little Q?

Barnacle Bill likes this.
  5. Barnacle Bill

Barnacle Bill Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. ......BB

drillexpat and Stizzla like this.
  6. coastalmarinesafety

coastalmarinesafety Active Member

Check/post in the French Creek Reports thread. Little/Big Q reports found there, cheers.

drillexpat likes this.
  7. eaglemaniac

eaglemaniac Well-Known Member

Hey Fish Camp. Don't know if your aware of the Bates Beach cam. It's nowhere as nice as Point Holmes but its almost directly parallel to the Hump at Kitty Coleman. Let's you know what's happening there. Hope it helps. eman;)
    http://batesbeach.bc.ca/index.php?page=6

8. Fish Camp

Fish Camp Well-Known Member

Yes I check that one before I head to kitty .theres 3 dots in the top right of monitor (goggle customize the size of view to 500%)reset the frames per second .I thaught I had posted bates site before.good one thanks for the link.

9. cohochinook

cohochinook Well-Known Member

I heard that story in Whistler. It was a friend of mine who got your rod. Pretty amazing!

ReelDreams likes this.
  10. Phil my boat

Phil my boat Active Member

Finally got some fishing in today. Tried the Pt Holmes area but nothing happening. Headed to Kitty Coleman and within 10 minutes we picked up a spring and a wild coho. Anchovy down deep was the answer today.

lazoman likes this.
  11. Phil my boat

Phil my boat Active Member

Out again at Kitty. Great weather but no salmon. Started jigging with a mudraker jig with some bait. Pulled up a small halibut and released. No fish to take home but it was just a nice day on the water.

Malibu Ken likes this.
  12. mayday

mayday Active Member

Well, got out for a couple hours today and managed to find a nice red winter spring. Near Pt. Holmes at the bottom, sandlance spoon.
    Also, might be a subject for another thread, but also got to try out my new SeaQualizer. Hauled up a reasonable sized china rock and quickly dropped it back down - although as it turned out apparently too quickly - as once I brought the rigger back up and was hooking my line back on, pop goes the weasel and the fish appeared by the side of the boat again - oops. Netted it and then tried Plan B, which seemed to work - set the trip for 150' - drop it down to 100' - let sit for 5 minutes or so, then down to 150. Brought it back up with no fish, and just for kicks/giggles stayed around for a bit longer to see if it would re-appear, but was all good.

Attached Files:

13. mayday

mayday Active Member

Got out for another couple hours at Pt. Holmes today (seemed like it has been months) - driving down to the Comox marina ramp was patting myself on the shoulder thinking I'm going to be the only "real" fisherman out on the water, everyone else are lightweights - turn the corner - hmm, not so much - apparently me showing up at the Crack O 10am makes me the lightweight as there was already 3 other boats out there. Who knew I wasn't the only nutbar. Although made me feel slightly better as when I got back, there was a couple more trailers there that had obviously done the Crack o Noon plan.
    Only a couple shakers to show for it, but good to get back out on the water none the less.

ReelDreams, Burban, lazoman and 3 others like this.
  14. Malibu Ken

Malibu Ken New Member

Managed to sneak out to Lazo yesterday afternoon. Only caught a couple small ones but was sure nice out there. Anyone fishing Kitty these days?

15. Stizzla

Stizzla Crew Member

Hi Ken, this is 2018 reports threads. Please repost in 2019 and you’ll get answers