2017 Port Renfrew Reports

Discussion in '2017 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Hillier420

Hillier420 Member

They bite! Got one on a blue fox today
    Sentinel likes this.
  2. Awsome hope there going to be around next weekend
  3. chris73

chris73 Well-Known Member

Very little coho action today. A few small ones around 5-6#, tons of shakers but where are the coho slabs? Great water today and lots of boats but we didn't see a net out all day. Switched to jigging for the junior and had fun with black rock fish and some nice lings. Turns out there are still springs around and they like jigs too; got a 17# red and the captain lost another one after a few seconds. Who needs cohos - that was loads of fun!
  4. SpringVelocity

SpringVelocity Well-Known Member

That must have gone over well for the captain!
  5. kingspring

kingspring Member

IMG_1319.JPG Caught a couple of these yesterday, mackerel?
  6. fish brain

fish brain Active Member

I think it's a Bonito
  7. Mozart

Mozart New Member

That looks like a yellowtail
  8. kingspring

kingspring Member

They are now crab bait...
  9. fishchaser

fishchaser Member

10. Humpbubble

Humpbubble Active Member

Camped sat night and hit the beach in the dingy trolling and casting a blue fox in the rain. Fish were having a good time.
    Played a couple, keeping one #14. Reminded how fun northerns are :)

Saw a bunch of tuna at the table, and the outfitters crew who had gotten into some nice sept slabs
    Waterboywhidbey likes this.
  11. Seagirt

Seagirt Active Member

12. Englishman

Englishman Well-Known Member

13. Seagirt

Seagirt Active Member

They are similar but I don't think this fish in question here is the same as the a bonito caught in Sooke. The pectoral fins in this specimen are longer than what seems typical of a bonito and are more akin to jack mackeral. Also, the tail of a jack mackeral is brown, similar to this fish and unlike the bonito. Hard to tell for sure from just a few pictures but my vote remains jack mackerel. There was some discussion in another thread on some fish caught out at swiftsure and the angler who caught the fish landed on it being a jack mackerel.
  14. Fishtofino

Fishtofino Well-Known Member

I guarantee you that's not a yellowtail
  15. burnsy22

burnsy22 Active Member

Headed out for one last kick at the can October 6-8th. Never fished Renfrew but my crew and I are hopeful there will be some coho still around.
  16. Tsquared

Tsquared Well-Known Member

There should be. Bring some motion sickness pills for your crew.
  17. burnsy22

burnsy22 Active Member

I thought we would be fishing in the Port San Juan most likely? Will we have to venture outside to get fish? As i said before, never have fished Renfrew.

18. The Jackel

The Jackel Active Member

Drop the lines at the bouy at the mouth of the inlet and head out till you find them
    brutus likes this.
  19. seadna

seadna Well-Known Member

Yep - this is a yellowtail. Yellowtail.jpg
  20. Seagirt

Seagirt Active Member

Nice fish, and I hear yellowtail are good eating. Take away the colour and both these fish look very similar, too difficult to distinguish from the pictures. Jack mackerel and yellow tail are both in the Carangidae family. Maybe the fish in question is a juvenile yellowtail and not a jack mackerel? Either way I'd eat it.