2016 Summer Salmon Fishing Season Review

Debated about responding because I do not like negative attitudes but I feel the need to air a concern based on my experiences in the past compared to this season. I have fished both sides of the Island since the early 70's as a point of reference. This year, I started with 4 nice springs just outside of Ukee in early July...and that was it. Fished Ballenas, Gerald et al using traditional gear and depths. Barely found bait and only found 1 small spring. Travelled to back to Port and ran day trips to Pill and the islands using anchovies and everything else. Lots of shakers and returned a few undersized. Of late, I have been out at canal from Bell's Bay to Polly's and not even a hit. I love being on the water but this season was far and away the most dismal return to the boat by a large margin. Will keep searching and hope that it is just an extremely late return.

This has been an unusual year for us.
Early sockeye was good, but not so much later on.
My freezer is doing well, but that is due to how often I fish, not how good the catching was.
I had more days of spotty catching or no catching than I can ever remember.
The crazy thing is that I had, hands down, the very best morning of salmon fishing in my life in late July! Thank you, Smiley!
It ain't over yet, still hopeful about coho and chum in the ocean...

Been fishing every week in the vancouver area since June and honestly the only place constantly producing is the Cap. Fished bottom of bowing island early july then Bell and Cap has been on fire. I have been down to sandheads and northarm but the Fraiser river run has been absolutely horrible this year. Only place constantly producing is the Cap and now they are starting to get pretty dark! Fished in july with spoon and now have been using chovies.

Didn't fish that much this year due to house renos but the few times I did get out it was slower than past years.
Nootka late June was ok but not as many springs as last year. Little pockets of fish here and there. No cohos there yet this year. Most people agreed that not many springs around. Great bottom fishing though.
Port Hardy late July was a disaster for springs or salmon any kind. And that included our entire resort and several guides we talked to. Apparently some springs were found west of Cape Scott and north of Cape Caution - too far for us from Hardy. Bottom fishing again excellent. Very few cohos, even pinks were scarce.
Late August Sooke; some teener springs around and decent coho numbers and sizes. Apparently springs only showed up in any numbers in second part of August in the JDF - good number of them were white. For me size down on springs this year. Cohos better number and sizes than last year, hands down. Halibut good.

I fish out of Sidney/Pender Island and it was by far the slowest June - August that I have seen in the past 8 years that I have been fishing the area. Oddly, it often seemed like there was lots of bait fish but just no Springs. All total I fished 10 days for an average of 4-5 hours and caught two small Springs for my efforts.

Freezer is doing OK due to trips to Engelfield Bay in early July (incredible fishing for Springs and bottom fish); Shearwater in mid-August (great for big Coho but very few Springs around); and last week in Sooke (lots of Coho but only about 25% hatchery keepers).

Season isn't over and it seems like the Pender bluffs have improved marginally in the last few weeks but the seals must be starving as they seem to steal every fish that is caught.

Easy to be negative but its fishing, not catching and I have had a lot of good years too. And.... the season isn't over yet.

All real fisherman are optimists, right?

All real fisherman are optimists, right?

There's always next year ;)

Something else that I observed this year was an absence of pacific cod. Anyone else notice that? It's common by-catch for me, especially hugging bottom. Wife and son like eating p-cod, so that's not an issue. The problem with them is dragging them around for who knows how long. Only hooked into one this year and weren't able to find any targeting them while jigging.

The lack of fishing oppertunitys due to weather keep my small craft ventuing far .i did well for my target sport fish.remember keep a target and a dream.and every season will provide .

YES id say it was down a bit from previous years but not as bad as ive seen in past thats for sure and size was down as in previous years but saw some very nice fish come into boats last week seen a guy with a nice 35 lber (after seeing it on scale) , Was still able to get some and some days were steller , I will say I changed a bit on how I fished this year as I found them in places that ive never fished before (Tips Up knows what I mean). bait this year was everywhere in sooke flipping on water rods bouncing etc but very small. people always want to dwell on the doom and gloom , ive looked back on some of my logs and this was not the worst ive ever seen
one thing i did REALLY notice is the amount of whale activity this year especially humpbacks Ive lived here all my life and have never seen so many last I heard was over 70 were in our waters?????
I take people out all over the world and what they all say is one factor we are VERY lucky to be able to get fish 30 mins away from a major city and its SOOOO beautiful here with the ocean tress and nice weather.

Wolf

Not the best year by any means, but I am old enough to remember the mid and late 80's when springs were nearly gone from the fishing radar and everyone focused on coho.

Good early season inside with lots of small springs at Tunstall, Hutt, and over on the good side of the pond at 5 fingers, not so much at Thrasher.

WCVI was ok from Kyuquot to Bamfield, but noticed all springs would be graded a size smaller (lots of 9/12's and 12/15's and a few 6/9's) no fish bigger than 22 lbs. this year. For some reason I did not hook a single coho when targeting springs this year. Normally my coho "by-catch" is about 30%.

Overall I would say that I am looking forward to a few years of laNina cold water to help boost the available feed. And I echo Wolf's sentiment about how lucky we are to have this small corner of the earth at our footsteps......

Hi terrin. Here is a link to the origin of Chinook caught in the SE Alaska & BC troll fisheries:

http://wildfishconservancy.org/abou...d-fishery-chinook-catch-composition-1999-2010

Click on the picture to enlarge it.

FYI, I am not positive how in Alaska a "Treaty Chinook" is identified. I am fairly sure that the Alaskans mark their hatch fish with a method that deforms a bone in their head. Any fish w/o this deformed bone would be a treaty fish. The SE Alaskan fish are primarily hatch spring run fish, and the spring season is only open in inside waters where these fish are returning to.

Overall I found the ECVI and SVI were not productive for anything other than 1-3lb baby chinook and ling. Could not keep those little buggers off. In fact, by mid May I stopped fishing ECVI and SVI cause I was worried about how many fish i was catching and possibly damaging

Port Alberni sockeye was great for me. Especially in June. got lots of big sockeye in the box. The fish were much bigger then average and nice thick fillets were quite great. I also introduced a bunch of people who had never fished before to fishing which was great. Getting a triple header at 545 am with 3 rookies on the reels was one of my summer highlights.

Bamfield was lackluster.

Fished the Haida Gwaii which was great fishing for salmons, lings and halis.

I would say overall good season, with the exception of ECVI and SVI which were a total bust

Interesting overall reports so far. My PERSONAL experience this season (and I realize others will have very different experience even in the same areas/times as me) are:

Overall fishing for BC Coast was very sub-par: 4/10

Vancouver fishing (my home base): 5/10 - Feb/March was OK; May / June typical gulf islands fishery was terrible; July/Aug/Sept Fraser fishery bad, especially compared to last year's awesome chinook fishery. Obviously no sockeye opening didn't help things either.

Gulf Islands (my 2nd home): 4/10 - Early 2016 had some decent days but the early Summer did not produce and late Summer has been dismal from all accounts

Haida Gwaii: 4/10 - I did 3 trip to the Gwaii this season and 1 of 3 was what I would consider "good". The other 2 were well below average. It's all relative so we did catch a decent number of fish on all trips but this year was easily the toughest fishing for salmon in the past 10 years of my experience. Lodges resorting to flasher/hoochie up there? Fishing 150-200ft? Are you serious? yes, I am. Anyways, there were a few awesome trips scattered thoughout the season from what I hear but the consistency was just not there.

West Coast Vancouver Island: 3/10 - I did a couple of trips to both Renfew and Tofino this year so those are my only data points but fishing was terrible on all 4 trips. Got skunked on 2 of the 4 and the others weren't much better. Again, timing is everything and I did hear that I 'just missed the fish' by a couple of days on some of those trips but I'm only reporting on my experience this year.

Central Coast: 5/10 - Just the one trip to Rivers Inlet for me and coho fishing was decent but springs were elusive. It was late season (early Sept) so to be expected a bit but still far from being considered 'great' fishing.

Sorry to sound like a debby downer but the fish just were not there for me this year. Some of the trips I had were still unforgettable with great wildlife (whales, bears, etc) and really good bottom fishing at times but in terms of salmon fishing my 40-50 days on the water this year were easily the least productive in my past 10. Hoping that rebounds next year!

Started the season in Vancouver fishing the Hump during May/June. Nothing but shakers over 4-5 trips out. Moved boat to Nootka July 8-12 and fished inshore a couple of days and got nothing. That is not normal during that period of the season. Went off shore a few times during the July 8-12 trip and did very well at Bajo Reef. One day was epic perhaps the best fishing day I can remember with 5 fish in 2 hours all 20-26 lbs with as many fish lost. We had one double of 20lb+ fish which is pretty special and lost a hog after a 30 minute fight spooling the Islander in the worst weather day you could be at Bajo. Went back to Nootka Aug 14-19 fished the inside 3 days and did not get a sniff. Again, not normal that time of the season. Then decided on day 4 to head up Tahsis Inlet to Esperanza to fish Rosa and killed it the first 2 hours on the water. Just plain strange. Went back to following day and picked another 20 plus first thing in the morning. Final day at Nootka we decided to do an early morning troll and got our first and only fish at 0600 off Hoiss all year. Although Bajo produced well the specific dates we were there, the overall performance was was not normal at Nootka.

Fishing around Nanaimo and Ladysmith was good early season from April to June. Almost every trip I would get a few nice springs in the teens - the usual spots off the fingers. Got my first tyee this year at 33 pounds so a memorable season for me forsure. Nootka in August was a different story - went on a four day trip and came back with two spring and a couple of ling. Both inshore and offshore was dead. Glad to see the hatchery returns were on par with other years! All in all a good season.

First season down on the South Island for me so there's so much I need to learn. Had a really good winter/spring fishery for feeders. Once June came, it was very slow for me. There were fish around, just not a consistent stream of fish from my perspective. Most of the summer, the wind/work schedule didn't line up great so I never really got in consistent days. Sorta just where I can, when I can. Small boat problems. Bottom fishing was great though. Got my first Hali, 53lber as my buddy hooked bottom so I took over his rod to try to get it off. Right as it popped off, wham! I thought it snagged again but then it started to shake and pull. Those things are strong fish!

Was able to spend a lot of time on the water and fished Kyuquot, Seymour Inlet, up north of Campbell River, and all around Sooke. I would hazard a guess I got out...... around 40-50 days so far this year. Plan now is for some coho and the chums in October for the smoker then call it a season come November.

Fishing out of Queen Charlotte City on Haida Gwaii this year was a tale of four seasons. The late-winter early-spring East Coast chinook fishing around Skidegate and Sandspit was ridiculous. The Inlet was full of small herring, and there were hordes of 10-15 pound springs around as a result, along with many marine mammals enjoying the bounty. A 3-minute run from the boat ramp put us on spectacular fishing in shallow water, with a fair showing of 25-30 pound fish joining the smaller guys in the mix, including some nice, fat white springs.

That fishery dried up in late April, as it usually does, necessitating running out to the West Coast. May and June were excellent there. In an unusual twist, the fishing was better off of Skidegate Point than in Rennell Sound. Fish in the 12-18 pound range were very easy to come by, even though they tended to be absolutely stuffed with extremely small needlefish. In another twist on tradition, we usually endure a lull in July that can last for most of the month, but this year, it remained very easy to catch springs right up until the start of August.

To our immense surprise, that usually-great month was mostly a huge disappointment. The biggest shock was when we went out on the minimal tides on the 12th expecting the great fishing we normally get at that time in those conditions, and were actually skunked for six hours aside from a few coho until a brief late-afternoon bite produced a decent flurry.

At that point, we started doing some math, and recalled that 2008 was the worst year in our memories of 40 years of trolling here. I also remembered being concerned back in 2012 that there would be terrible fishing again, reflecting the poor 2008 returns of four years before. Fortunately, while it definitely was relatively weak, 2012 wasn't as bad as 2008. But now, with 2016 rolling that cycle around again, I had fears of a potentially-doomed season as the unusual August doldrums continued.

Fortunately, the last 10 days of August saw a sudden surge of ravenous springs, and the action was as good as I've ever seen, with lots of doubleheaders happening in a hurry. Our fish were only 15-26 pounds, though, with nary a tyee. Apparently our improved fishing wasn't reflected at Langara until a bit later, as some northern charter guys actually resorted to fishing out of Queen Charlotte. The action was still hot last week, and I believe there are probably still lots of springs around, although I've switched over to exclusively targeting bottomfish to fill a niche in the freezer.

My theory is that the shortage of tyees this year reflects a lack of four-year old fish due to the down cycle that began in 2008, and was reflected in 2012. We got few fish with mature milt and roe this year. Fortunately, a really strong showing of smaller fish, probably three-year-olds with gonads that are very undeveloped even in September, filled the gap, and give promise of a good season next year.

As for the other kinds of salmon, there were a lot of coho around in May-late July, tapering off a bit, and then becoming very plentiful again in mid-August. There were less pinks than I had feared (I like to fish anchovies, and pinks like to eat them), and a huge showing of chum that has persisted until the present. One day in late July, we went through 36 anchovies in two hours, and then caught and released several more coho and chum on spoons and hoochies, before we finally limited out on decent springs. I don't know if the chum numbers reflect the presence of more of their kind of feed being around due to the warm water of the last two years, or if something else is involved, but they were way more abundant than I needed them to be. It's great to see a big chum return to enrich the streams and forest, though.

The water was warm, but not as bad as last year. Aside from that weird August slowdown, when we got very experimental, I fished at 60 feet, following the 20-fathom contour, and ducking into little coves with shallower water and a showing of kelp. During that bad spell, going deeper wasn't the winning strategy that it often has been, and going up to 40 feet or less mostly produced chums, pinks and coho.

I guess a good way to assess this season would be to look at the number of days' catches we bothered to photograph to celebrate the size and number of fish we'd brought home that day. Usually we'll put a half-dozen or so excellent catches into the digital record. This year, we only took advantage of two photo ops. We got a lot of fish, but I'm not inclined to record the memory of catching 15-pounders. I'm looking forward to seeing more of those guys next year, though, when the abundant herring that the Haida shutdown of the roe herring fishery is producing have fattened them up to size.

Last edited:
Excellent report, Karlo----helps explain what I was seeing in eary August just south of you---and going deep didn't seem to help like it has in years past. The one general thing I've learned about spring fishing over the years---don't generalize.

Weird about the comments of not many large fish...my buddy who runs and owns a fishing lodge in Shearwater said the same thing. We found this year was by far our best in the past 12-15 years for big fish...at least a Tyee or two a day in August and even got a 37lber at Duval June 6th. Overall a good year for us with two 2 day lulls in July but other than that was good. Not amazing but good.

Back